SEAL Loadouts and the SAAV.

navymp28

Y'all missed a bargain btw. I can't buy *all* the vests on eBay, some of you have to help... ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/South-African-Assaul...1QQcmdZViewItem

41 smackers; not bad for £11 more than that Viper toss you all buy.

Is that one actually real?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. It's black & tan, so it's almost certainly the proper stuff. Not exactly Gucci, buta nice bit of kit nonetheless. I *almost* had it, but things are just getting silly in my room now :P

And I agree, the pouch placement is a bit suspect. Not to mention the fact that the SAAV's image has been tarnished forever ;)

i posted a pic on here a while back and it had the RM wearing them but they were the original issue and not the cheap version so it might be likely he is telling the truth

Royal Marines = British

Navy Seals = Septic Tanks.

Don't see the relevance to a RM wearing one and a SEAL.

I find it very dubious that they would switch from the CIRAS.

Remember though, they don't use the CIRAS for everything. It's a full-on set of body armour, that happens to be covered in pouch-attachment real estate because it's useful. However, for many things, it's NOT the best vest to go for, and a SEAL won't use it simply because it happens to be one of his issue bits of kit.

If you try woodland, for example, with body armour on, you're in for a shock. Now imagine real soft armour and IIIA plates in there ;)

YO like Hive said, I had received some intresting info and just wanted to share what I heard. I was in no way trying to say it was a normal thing in the teams or was it some new trend and to rush out and get SAAV or Rhodesian Modular vest's. I just thought it was cool that the ACTIVE duty operators were useing other kit than what you normally see due to there ever changeing mission.

In one team you will se everything from comanders vest's to H harness and pouches, to Rhodesian Vest's, and any other kit that the operator sees fit. These doods really change stuff to fit there needs as operators.

As for the USP thing my bad, I used the civillian name for the pistol based on the SOCOM or MK23. So to clarify I was refering tothe SOCOM, thats my bust. But the Seal operators I speak to do prefer the Sig 226 even though it is a 9mm. But again that's prefference.

Total agreement there, there is a LOT of choice in what these guys use.

The way you phrased it in the initial post, it sounded as if you were touting it as literally a new issue vest, which it obviously isn't. I couldn't see any reason for 'a lot' of guys to go back to such an old design when there is better out there, and more easily available.

HOWEVER, I didn't mean to come across as dismissing your entire claim as BS, and I'm sorry if that's how it sounded. I don't doubt that some of these guys are using SAAVs - looking at the limited footage of SEALs in Iraq and Afghanistan at the moment, more of them seem to be fielding BHI gear than anything else. BHI being, of course, "not good enough for real-world ops" ;)

Dickens you do realise he's talking about the real vest, not a replica. The Rhodesian vests exist outside of the airsoft world.

And Trigger Happy, just because you're in SNAFU doesn't mean you have to jump on Havoc's bandwagon :rolleyes: Have you done any vehicle borne operations? If you don't have anything nice to say...

Indeed. I get the feeling a lot of people here are assuming these guys are using Viper replicas ;)

To clarify, by the way, my 'bandwagon' seemed to be based somewhat off of a misunderstanding of navymp28's initial post. I in no way meant to say that he was for sure a total BSer, but rather that the info of 'a lot' of SEALs using these vests sounded dubious.

Looks like I misunderstood 'a lot' ;)

Even the the real ones pouch placement is ######.  I am also finding highly unlikely that the SEALS would switch to an old outdated vest that most British servicemen thought was ######.

Erm... I know rhodesian vests exist outside of airsoft, I did not realise there where any airsoft versions.

Try telling that to the British guys currently using it in the sandbox! :P

The 'airsoft' versions of the SAAV are made by Viper and the like. The 'real' one was of far better quality, although, as far as I know, of the same design. No idea who it was made by, though.

iirc it was originally called the M83 assault vest and was made by SADF  :)

Havoc, you are on point with this. no biggie, alot was how it was phrased to me. I see your point. But as far as I can tell to a seal alot is like 10 doods...lol. But I wa just trying to demonstrate that it's hard to call a piece of kit "Not Seal gear" because they have recently being useing stuff I would have never dreamed I would hear or see. Like another thing we talked about was medic pouch placement. He mentioned the SAAV in this conversation in particular. He was illustrating that most time the teamleader will denote all med pouches same spot on all operators. But sometimes due to massive difference in loadout they can't always do that. So they will dictate visibly marked. He mentioned he would use a laundry marker and draw a huge Red Cross on the pocket of the vest with the kit.

As for the Bodyarmor, yeah those doods don't wear it more than do actually, that surprised me also. Acording to him unless they are going on a DA op they won't wear armor. This is weird tome because in my world wear armor all the time. But unlike an MP they nned to be light and most of the time want to avoid DA. Anyway this is a dead issue really. But was a good going back and fourth and nice debate.

ohhh..and trigger-happy not being a ###### here swear:

"And when did it dawn upon you that the Seals liked the Sig P226? Do I need to quote the extensive weapons section from the book?"

Cuious what book? And have you checked the date inside the cover? (Seriously that was just playful sarcasm not being a ######.) But the P226 is used by the teams

here is some info:

The P226 was designed for entry into the XM9 Service Pistol Trials, which were held by the US Army in 1984 on behalf of the US armed forces to find a replacement for the M1911. Only the Beretta 92F and the P226 satisfactorily completed the trials, however, Beretta was ultimately awarded the contract for the 92F due to overall cost. Once the standard issue pistol of the FBI and currently in the arsenals of such elite groups as Canada's JTF2, the U.S. Navy SEALs, France's GIGN, Japan's Special Assault Team and the UK's SAS, among others, the P226 has an impressive record. The Japanese Self-Defense Forces has adopted the P226 as its official sidearm.

and

P226 Navy

The Sig P226-9-NAVY is a version of the Sig P226 that is produced to the exact specifications of the pistols supplied to Navy SEALs, including special corrosion-resistant finish on internal parts, contrast sight, and the slide was engraved with an anchor to designate them as Naval Special Warfare pistols. In 2004, SIGARMS worked with STS (Special Tactical Services) to offer limited number (two thousands) of specially serialized P226 pistols as a fundraising program to benefit the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. These pistols are identical to those supplied to the Navy SEALs, but carry the unique serial number starting with NSW (NSW0001 - NSW2000) and certificate of authenticity. SIGARMS donated $100,000 to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation through the sale of these 2000 pistols. Some more P226-9-Navy were released to civilian market after the event ended, but carry only the regular "U" prefix serial number.

This was from wikpedia: I am seriously not busting balls just droping science and sharing info. I hope this is not taken the wrong way:)

I am seriously not busting balls just droping science and sharing info. I hope this is not taken the wrong way:)

Don't apologise mate, you did nothing wrong. You shared the benefit of your experience, and some people got rather natty with you for some reason. You did well to keep your cool; I'm not sure I would have.

Have a rep :)

ohhh..and trigger-happy not being a ###### here swear:

"And when did it dawn upon you that the Seals liked the Sig P226? Do I need to quote the extensive weapons section from the book?"

Cuious what book? And have you checked the date inside the cover? (Seriously that was just playful sarcasm not being a ######.) But the P226 is used by the teams

I was being sarcastic :lol:

I know the p226 is used by teams ;)

Either way I was being harsh, so sorry man :)

I think its despicable the way random people, including a bunch of children and some imature adults who claim to know special forces deny somthing that comes from the real people. Oh noes, thats not whats said on the lightfighter/wanabee forum, it cant be true. ever thought that the seals on lightfighter might pump thier rep a little as they know they have an adoring fanbase who read thier every post? im not digging at anyone, i think this is one of those bits of info thats a 'oh, i didnt know that :)' and move on, its funny when a bunch of airsofters dont belive a serviceman.

And havocs right, woodland or excessive movement with plates in is not fun... Im almost certain they dont wear thier beloved Ciras everywhere, seeing as its gov bought, i guess they can have more than one loadout :P wouldn suprise me if they used modular rhodesians... nice info Navymp28

I think its despicable the way random people, including a bunch of children and some imature adults who claim to know special forces deny somthing that comes from the real people. Oh noes, thats not whats said on the lightfighter/wanabee forum, it cant be true. ever thought that the seals on lightfighter might pump thier rep a little as they know they have an adoring fanbase who read thier every post? im not digging at anyone, i think this is one of those bits of info thats a 'oh, i didnt know that :)' and move on, its funny when a bunch of airsofters dont belive a serviceman.

And havocs right, woodland or excessive movement with plates in is not fun... Im almost certain they dont wear thier beloved Ciras everywhere, seeing as its gov bought, i guess they can have more than one loadout :P wouldn suprise me if they used modular rhodesians... nice info Navymp28

Your not digging at anyone but ur calling us all imature adults and children???

...hides behind bar...

There's a Norwegian version of the SAAV made by one of their kit people (no, I'm not on commission), and that is nearer a classy version of the old M83 vest. I've seen Norwegian troops wearing it in some issues of C&S, and also on milphotos.net, a couple of folks posted catalogue scans of them.

I'll have a look for you in a sec. That said, I can't see what the SAAV-pattern vest does that any other assault vest does.

EDIT: Thar she blows.

modernizedsadfwebbingmpsec1zb.jpg

Now, looking at that and then a regular vest, the only real difference is the shoulder area, and maybe the back. Just a bit smaller really.

Speaking of Rhodesians, we were talking gear again because I was bitching about carrying my pack with my boat vest, he was talking about the reason he liked the Rhodesian for vic work as well was that if you don't have a TAC vest (Commanders vest) sized right that it will ride up when sittin down. And a Rhodesian rig style, and chest rigs are nice because the sit reletively in the same spot when getting up and down, if you look at alot of the contractor types in Iraq they wear alot fo these type of rigs. He was lo telling me not to get to much into "It's that way because it has to be's". He was telling me that he has seen plenty of guys get hundreds fo dollars worth of gear and would immediatly go to town on it with an exacto and sewing machine and begin adding this and removeing that. Because it is all about the operators personel prefference.

Also....beware the "Spec Ops" guy that seems to talk to much about himself without being asked firtst...just what I have learned.

ever thought that the seals on lightfighter might pump thier rep a little as they know they have an adoring fanbase who read thier every post?

I think you have a somewhat skewed vision of the LF Boards - no-one says sh*t because of an 'adoring fanbase' - these guys speak their minds, because that's what they believe. If they're the only one saying something, and it's right in their mind, then screw it - they'll say it anyway.

There's a Norwegian version of the SAAV made by one of their kit people (no, I'm not on commission), and that is nearer a classy version of the old M83 vest. I've seen Norwegian troops wearing it in some issues of C&S, and also on milphotos.net, a couple of folks posted catalogue scans of them.

modernizedsadfwebbingmpsec1zb.jpg

Now, looking at that and then a regular vest, the only real difference is the shoulder area, and maybe the back. Just a bit smaller really.

Side-release buckles on the pouches, and the pouches look to be different shapes, too.

Speaking of Rhodesians, we were talking gear again because I was bitching about carrying my pack with my boat vest, he was talking about the reason he liked the Rhodesian for vic work as well was that if you don't have a TAC vest (Commanders vest) sized right that it will ride up when sittin down.

He was telling me that he has seen plenty of guys get hundreds fo dollars worth of gear and would immediatly go to town on it with an exacto and sewing machine and begin adding this and removeing that. Because it is all about the operators personel prefference.

I'm still suprised that they get their SAAVs to sit that way, though - I'd have thought a chest rig such as the MAV that can be moved up or down the body at the wearer's preference would have been a better design. The SAAV looks as if it can hold a bit more, but then for vehicular ops I'd have imagined it'd all be kept in a 3rd line (pack) anyway. Might be wrong though, having obviously never been on vehicular ops with SEALs! :P

The whole modding thing is very true, too. Some of the 'monstrosities' on the LF Boards are astounding - what started off as one thing is almost unrecognisable by the time some of these guys are through with them! I'd have thought the SAAV design was too wide for vehicle-borne ops, due to those massive side pouches, but it wouldn't suprise me at all if the guys using them added extra cinch straps to compress the contents down, or even removed the pouches altogether and replaced them with other pouches or PALS webbing.

I think you have a somewhat skewed vision of the LF Boards - no-one says sh*t because of an 'adoring fanbase' - these guys speak their minds, because that's what they believe. If they're the only one saying something, and it's right in their mind, then screw it - they'll say it anyway.

Side-release buckles on the pouches, and the pouches look to be different shapes, too.

I'm still suprised that they get their SAAVs to sit that way, though - I'd have thought a chest rig such as the MAV that can be moved up or down the body at the wearer's preference would have been a better design. The SAAV looks as if it can hold a bit more, but then for vehicular ops I'd have imagined it'd all be kept in a 3rd line (pack) anyway. Might be wrong though, having obviously never been on vehicular ops with SEALs! :P

The whole modding thing is very true, too. Some of the 'monstrosities' on the LF Boards are astounding - what started off as one thing is almost unrecognisable by the time some of these guys are through with them! I'd have thought the SAAV design was too wide for vehicle-borne ops, due to those massive side pouches, but it wouldn't suprise me at all if the guys using them added extra cinch straps to compress the contents down, or even removed the pouches altogether and replaced them with other pouches or PALS webbing.

LOL...yeah I nned to check the lightfighter board, because some of the stuff I have seen of his I am like, what the hell did you do to that? Let the freakshow begin!

I meant the difference between a COP vest and that, not between that and a Rhodesian vest. What does that, a 23-year old design, do that the 90/95 vest doesn't do better?

and the clips, the miltec version uses velcro along with the viper and the orrigional M83( to my knowlage)

What *are* you talking about?

I'm not sure why everyone bashes the SAAV. I have used two in the course of Airsofting, and I'm considering buying another to convert into a Russian assault harness.

The design is certainly proven. I think that, between the two of them, Rhodesian and South African forces saw enough combat to suit the US for many decades. Heck, if the item is marked South African or Rhodesian I'll give it another look, no matter what the first impression was.

navymp - which command are you stationed at?

Gotta agree to an extent.

The basic underlying design is excellent. It's a little 'pinching' round the neck, but the rest is pretty good. This is why I use a MESA as my main vest - it's a modular SAAV!

The pouch placement and size on the non-modular design is, in my opinion, the stuff of nightmares, but each to his own :)

Of course the benefit of non modular rigs is weight. They will always weigh less than a modular rig with the same number of pouches. The other plus? you're not tempted to waste a shitload of time constantly pissing around with pouch placement :)

WRT SEAL's there's an old joke about SEAL's being obvious to spot as its "a bunch of guys where none of them are wearing the same kit"

Archived