Full MP7 Review

My definition would be hitting a player mid game with a force that will register. Although the actual range is much further I can't promise that the hit player would register it as a hit. ( I had the wife shoot me at this range in all my gear)

Oh, nice. This makes the MP7 sound much more appealing.

Is it just me or is that g18c chronoing a bit low?  Makes me wonder if the chrono could be off......

Yeah, I thought that the G18C chronoed at around 210fps. Not owning one, I can't say anything, but at least we have a base we can use. Such as, the MP7 is aproximately 60FPS faster than the G18C.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review and pics! Quick question....could you comment on the durability/solidity of the retractable stock? Does it wiggle around when fully extended (TM MP5 like?) Thanks!

Nope the stock is very solid, but only time will tell, and obviously with prolonged use this model might also see wobble, for now though it's fine.

Is it just me or is that g18c chronoing a bit low?  Makes me wonder if the chrono could be off......

The test was done on a ballstics range using the chrono they use there. Now the test you could be refering to for the 18c might be using 0.12g BB remember the test Tokyo-Marui submitted to thier website for the MP7 was clearly done with 0.12g BBs

The test was done on a ballstics range using the chrono they use there. Now the test you could be refering to for the 18c might be using 0.12g BB remember the test Tokyo-Marui submitted to thier website for the MP7 was clearly done with 0.12g BBs

There's been at least one review of the Glock 18C AEP that put it at an average 211fps with .2 bbs. What the difference in chrono numbers means, though... well who knows? Possibly one of the other chrono wasn't properly calibrated or it's a freak difference in manufacturing tolerances between the two Glock 18C's that were tested.

There's been at least one review of the Glock 18C AEP that put it at an average 211fps with .2 bbs. What the difference in chrono numbers means, though... well who knows? Possibly one of the other chrono wasn't properly calibrated or it's a freak difference in manufacturing tolerances between the two Glock 18C's that were tested.

Back to the can test maybe? just to confirm the results...

I think it's about right since there are now two sources that says it's 0.6J...

Great review, dont forget the pics of the 'box when you crack it!

KM3

*ETA*

When you crack the mechbox, take a look at the hopup.Is it compatable with AEG barrels? do you think with some work a cut down AEG barrel could be run through a scilencer?or is the cilinder vollume insufficent for a longer barrel?

thanks

KM3

Edited by Kingmob3
One thing I did notice about the sights is the fixing screw it uses a 'Philips' type head which I feel detracts from the overall aesthetics of the weapon and it would have only taken a little effort to replace these with 'Hex' bolts.

Edit: nevermind - just saw the post above mine, saying basically the same thing I'd said. Whoops! :unsure:

But then, I got my info from actually playing with a real one, rather than just reading a web site :P

Edited by (V)atrix

I am suprised at your chronoing of the G18c results.

I did mine and it came out with 210-214fps range. I was using (tries to remember)... I think toyjets/toytecs .2

Either way. Mega envy. Awaiting your ripping into the internals now. :)

agreed darklite...

i'm going to wait till i've paid my overdraft off a lil bit first and when it's cheap enough for me... i'll get one :)

it looks damn nice! and pretty well made from what i can see from fareast's review. ALOT better FPS than teh other AEPs and actually looks better and a pretty decent mags as well.

OK, Wupjak just asked me a good question. Since we're dealing with nicd's here, how do we discharge the battery, besides firing? Does the custom battery charger discharge the battery if the charger isn't plugged in? Although the main MP7 manual has English translations at the bottom, there is a separate paper for the charger and battery that's only in Japanese.

i have to admit the lack of power has cancelled my interest in this. i used to use an MP5k to great effect, and quite fancied this as a replacement. i ecpected the MP7 to fall short of the MP5k, obviously, but not this short.

still - looks absolutely STUNNING, and i bet its built incredibly well.

The only thing better than one MP7 is three:

DSCN0004.sized.jpg

DSCN0007.sized.jpg

I popped in a battery out of the box and the gun wouldn't fire (of course) so I charged it for a bit. After a few minutes I tried it again and was able to get a shot off. I set up my Guarder Speeder 2000 chrono and fired a few shots from each gun using Excel .2g BBs. Each gun hit between 230-240 FPS pretty consistently with one gun being on the low side (sometimes in the 220s) and one being on the high side (over 250). These are rushed and fairly unscientific results but they seems to verify FarEast's findings regarding FPS. More to come.

*stares at light on battery charger*

The only thing better than one MP7 is three:

I popped in a battery out of the box and the gun wouldn't fire (of course) so I charged it for a bit. After a few minutes I tried it again and was able to get a shot off. I set up my Guarder Speeder 2000 chrono and fired a few shots from each gun using Excel .2g BBs. Each gun hit between 230-240 FPS pretty consistently with one gun being on the low side (sometimes in the 220s) and one being on the high side (over 250). These are rushed and fairly unscientific results but they seems to verify FarEast's findings regarding FPS. More to come. 

*stares at light on battery charger*

I absolutely hate you! Now I have to chooe between selling my CA36k and getting a couple of these or getting more stuff for my M14! curse you cruel world.

Because I was born with four arms, duh.

Why not four? Need one hand free for reloading.

Or I just did a group order with two of my friends. ;)

Any news on upgradability? I know one of you guys has torn into that thing....

Not yet...

I absolutely hate you! Now I have to chooe between selling my CA36k and getting a couple of these or getting more stuff for my M14! curse you cruel world.

I'd say you can afford to wait a bit. See what happes when more thurough testing is done and if any upgrades show up soon.

For those interested I updated my list of questions with my own observations thus far:

1. Bolt catch - Does nothing.

2. Trigger safety - It works.

3. Front sight - Adjustable for elevation in both positions and allen key for adjustment included.

4. Rear sight - Adjustable for windage in both positions by adjusting the knob on the side.

5. Finish on the metal parts - Typical of TM. I'm tempted to refinish them.

6. Plastic - Similar to the G36C.

7. Rails - Same size as G36C rails? TBD.

8. Gearbox - You've previously stated that the internals are supposed to be sort of half way between AEP and AEG internals, can you now confirm that this is the case? TBD.

9. Inner barrel - It is not a standard AEG inner barrel design, AEG inner barrels are not compatible.

10. Charge time - First charge took two hours and fifteen minutes using the included charger.

11. Selector lever - Feels good, makes nice positive clicks.

12. Selector markings - Same kind of paint as other TM AEGs like the G36C. Probably going to wear off in time.

13. Field stripping - Not like the real thing.

14. Sights - Co-witnessable with an AimPoint or EOTech.

15. Magazine - Dimensions: 105mm x 38mm x 16mm (floor plate 43mm x 28mm). Photo next to other mags for reference? TBA.

16. Butt pad - Plastic

17. Flash hider - No set screw.

18. Hop up rubber - Not standard AEG type.

19. Accessories - What's out in Japan already? What's on the horizon? Any sign of a hicap or long standard mag? What about that battery adapter? TBD.

20. Top rail - Picatinny or Weaver? Specifically what's the slot spacing? TBD but Probably Picatinny.

21. Holstering - Anything compatible? TBD.

22. Battery size - Dimensions: 95mm x 23mm x 14mm. Photo next to other standard battery types? TBA.

23. Battery cells - What size cells is the battery composed of? Looks like 2/3AA most likely. Cell dimension is around 29mm long wiht 14mm diameter. Good quality NiMh 2/3AA cells are available in up to 750mAh. This means there's potential for higher capacity batteries. Higher voltage possible? Remains to be seen.

24. Battery type - Sanyo Cadnica (NiCad)

25. Charger - No discharge function.

26. Magazine capacity - What is the actual capacity? TBD. Two shots drop if changed mid-mag but if it can fire the whole mag remains TBD.

Performance:

1. Real world FPS - 230-250 as tested thus far.

2. ROF - TBD

3. Maximum Range - TBD

4. Effective range - TBD

5. Accuracy - TBD

6. Overall battery life (total shots fired) - TBD

7. Realistic battery life (how long until response and ROF get 'sluggish') -TBD

8. seconds to empty a mag on full auto - TBD

9. Trigger response -TBD

10. Hop up effectiveness with .20g and .25g BBs -TBD

I'll also add that if you can't get your battery in make sure it's on safe. There seems to be something to stop you from putting it in if the gun is not set to safe. Sensible, really.

Also it appears it would be simple enough to add more notches to allow for additional stock positions.

Edited by staticzero