Full MP7 Review

Static -

I have a Tornado as well but found it fiddly to unholster it. I ended up using my Blackhawk weapon retention loop and a one-point sling for the time being. Like you I didn't want to buy anything and had both of these laying around. Fast, simple, not fiddly.

Did you get to use your MP7 at Ord? I had a damned fever and stayed home, as did Cali. Probably just as well, sounded like it was cold and miserable. Anyway, if you did use it at Steel Rain, perhaps a skirmish report? I heard Sean allowed the use of them inside the buildings, so that's promising.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone see its worth waiting for someone else to release a MP7A1?

Are there any that are known?

Someone mentioned that the REAL STEEL MP7A1 is made of ABS mostly with metal parts where necessary so that makes TM's version quite accurate considering TM gun are mainly plastic and TM@s internals are very robust and work well.

Did you get to use your MP7 at Ord?  I had a damned fever and stayed home, as did Cali.  Probably just as well, sounded like it was cold and miserable.  Anyway, if you did use it at Steel Rain, perhaps a skirmish report?  I heard Sean allowed the use of them inside the buildings, so that's promising.

I did use it and I'll see about getting a write-up done soon.

Does anyone see its worth waiting for someone else to release a MP7A1?

Are there any that are known?

Someone mentioned that the REAL STEEL MP7A1 is made of ABS mostly with metal parts where necessary so that makes TM's version quite accurate considering TM gun are mainly plastic and TM@s internals are very robust and work well.

The Maruzen GBB version is the only other one know to be on the horizon.

The realsteel most certainly is not ABS, though it is polymer. It's likely a carbon fiber/polymer composite similar to the G36. Very different indeed. The CA36 series glass fiber/polymer composite material is the closest to the realsteel's material that can be found in the airsoft world.

If CA copied the MP7 using this material I'd be one of their first customers. TM's plastic and metal quality (especially the finish) is wholly inferior and unrealistic in my opinion (and it's no surprise really). CA's metal finish isn't usually much more realistic but it's far better than TM's. And, their body material is worlds better in terms of look, feel, and durability. Not to say the gun is bad, understand. It's very solid and has a good feel to it. It's just not as good externally as it could have been if better materials were used, it's a typical TM gun in this regard.

The realsteel most certainly is not ABS, though it is polymer. It's likely a carbon fiber/polymer composite similar to the G36. Very different indeed. The CA36 series glass fiber/polymer composite material is the closest to the realsteel's material that can be found in the airsoft world.

If CA copied the MP7 using this material I'd be one of their first customers. TM's plastic and metal quality (especially the finish) is wholly inferior and unrealistic in my opinion (and it's no surprise really). CA's metal finish isn't usually much more realistic but it's far better than TM's. And, their body material is worlds better in terms of look, feel, and durability. Not to say the gun is bad, understand. It's very solid and has a good feel to it. It's just not as good externally as it could have been if better materials were used, it's a typical TM gun in this regard.

Thanks for the info, very honest answer considering you have three of them!

Like most new guns to the market, I'm sure a new better version will arrive at some point.

If as you say CA make the best G36 replicas, I hope CA see a huge opening in the market where airsoft conoseurs seek a version as close to the real thing as possible.

Its certainly one of many guns on my wishlist at the moment....but I have to say your comments have made me hold off until a better build comes our way.

Thanks again!

Well there's nothing wrong with the build, it's a good design and it's put together well. I was impressed with the feel of it out of the box, it felt heavy for it's size and remarkably solid (more so than I expected to be honest). The parts are well made and of good quality overall given the materials used. Certainly it's all good enough functionally speaking to be a fine skirmish piece.

However, from the perspective of it being a replica, it's just not as realistic as it could be. If better materials were used it would be that much better in terms of feel and quality while also looking more realistic. If you want an MP7 it's still a good gun, it's just that it's clearly a toy like all TM guns (especially if you have ever interacted with any realsteel).

I want to stress that I really do like it and I've enjoyed owning using it so far. However I felt this way about my TM G36C until I got a realsteel handguard and ultimately a CA body for it. After installing the handguard it immediately became apparent that the TM body was inferior in every relevant way. When I acquired and installed a CA body it really seemed to breath new life into the gun for me. It made me really like it again. It's one of these things where if you don't know any better it's perfectly good. Ignorance, meet bliss. I think you'll be fast friends...

Moreover I'd not bet on a CA version any time soon. It's going to be this and the eventual Maruzen (which I'll remain skeptical of in terms of actually usefulness until its' been around the block a few times) for a long while I imagine. Don't wait if you want an MP7. Me, I've said it before, this thing could be a squirt gun for all I care. I just wanted an MP7. Thankfully it turned out to be a decent airsoft gun too.

Also I don't own three, I just ordered three. Two went to friends.

Edited by staticzero

I just got home from picking up the mp7. :) Its charging now.

I live in HAwaii and they cover the H&K logos. I think the store might have ordered them from Redwolf. Anyways, whats an easy way to remove the plastic coving? I tried to pry it off, but some spots the glue is very strong can cant take it off just by pulling on the plastic.

Other thing, I have the charger in the wall(usa outlet), and the adapter gets burning hot. But the battery doesnt feel hot. Is that normal?

The thing you pull to open the hopup area...How do yu pull on it? It seems a hit or miss if I can pull it open.

Havn't fired it yet. :( I hope it works.

I noticed the gun is front heavy.

H&K needs to work on egonomic grips. :)

best part is since I sold two of my older guns, only paid $110 for it.

I just got home from picking up the mp7. :)  Its charging now. 

I live in HAwaii and they cover the H&K logos.  I think the store might have ordered them from Redwolf.  Anyways, whats an easy way to remove the plastic coving?  I tried to pry it off, but some spots the glue is very strong can cant take it off just by pulling on the plastic.

Can't talk about that here, it's against forum rules. However I can say they didn't get it from Redwolf. They use grip tape.

Other thing, I have the charger in the wall(usa outlet), and the adapter gets burning hot.  But the battery doesnt feel hot.  Is that normal? 

Normal.

The thing you pull to open the hopup area...How do yu pull on it?  It seems a hit or miss if I can pull it open.

Shift force to the other side if it feels stuck. It can get hung up unless you pull straight back.

Sorry didn't know about the off topic thing about decals and such. note: finally found forums rules. the "small-rules and guideline" in the upper left corner. hehe

Oh battery finished charging. Rate of fire sounded slow. but I haven't played with a auto except for my TMP, but its gas and ROF sounded way faster. Maybe I can shoot roaches with this. lol.

Oh now the hopup door opens easily. Grip it, and move left-right and pull while doing it. pops right out.

Edited by starstreak

oh some other things I noticed about the gun. I con slider myself with normal sized hands. but this gun is murder if you hold it for a while.

I noticed my finger below my pointer is pushing on the eject lever and its angled and cutting into hand. and my index finger if resting on the trigger, my knuckle is pushing on the selector switch and rubbing hard into it.

Also the butt when closed is hitting my inside of my arm.

Not the best to me. but I still like the looks. :)

For all you lot with charger problems, have you by any chance checked your bathroom to see if you have 110v Shaver socket ;) ?

Aye aye aye, please don't try that.  The pins on the charger are flat, whereas UK shavers have round pins...!  Either adapt the charging leads to use standard chargers, or get a converter from Maplins (etc).

My bathroom shaver socket has both 110V and 220V sockets, with both flat. slanted-flat and round pin holes. Thus, I charge mine in the bathroom.

I'm loving mine so far - picked it up in Wolf yesterday and fell totally in love. This thing is a perfect filler for the P90-sized hole in my collection, only far better - no mag feed issues, mags fit in pistol mag pouches, easy-to-change batteries, cheap batteries and mags, perfect ergonomics and smaller than the P90 with everything folded up.

I'm gonna get a short EOTech for mine and leave it be, and I have a silver/black custom silencer which looks great on it too.

Not got a chrono so I can't put a good answer to the FPS question, but range seems decent even if it is a tad slow getting there.

After doing some pretty extensive CQB exercises with the MP7 today, I can offer the following insights:

1. The stock NEEDS a middle position. No two ways about it, the weapon is too far from my body for my liking. In progress.

2. Handles beautifully in a very tight environment. I have an aimpoint on mine and was able to enter and clear 10x10 rooms with no problem with my off hand on my #1 guy's shoulder.

3. Trigger reaction time is horrible. I'm used to a Hi-Capa for CQB/indoor fighting and the MP7 takes its sweet time winding up and releasing the piston, even on a fresh charge. Not to say many people will share my opinion, but the trigger pull to fired round time could be much better. I'm going to start exploring at an externally mounted battery to increase the wimpy rate of fire and trigger reaction time on the gun.

4. Mag changes are fiddly, but I admittedly haven't spent as much time loading, unloading, reloading and otherwise futzing with mag changes as I have my pistols and aegs. Having a spring-assisted mag eject like the real deal would have been so much nicer, Marui....

I'll stick with this little weapon for my CQB/sidearm/sniper backup. I like it alot, don't get me wrong. It could be better, but it certainly could be a hell of a lot worse.

The realsteel most certainly is not ABS, though it is polymer. It's likely a carbon fiber/polymer composite similar to the G36.

Nope, it's a regular polymer material, like the slicker polymers used in their USP pistol series. It doesn't really have the grainy, fibery, feel of the G36 components.

TM's plastic and metal quality (especially the finish) is wholly inferior and unrealistic in my opinion (and it's no surprise really).

For what it's worth... I've played with both the real-steel MP7 and the TM MP7 (within days of each other), and I'd be hard pressed to tell one from the other without dropping the mag or pulling the charging handle. The TM model looks and feels extremely realistic!

Rate of fire sounded slow.  but I haven't played with a auto except for my TMP, but its gas and ROF sounded way faster. 

It's definately not going to have the ROF of a GBB, but the sound is decieving - it spits out BBs a lot faster than it sounds like it should. Initially, I was a bit disappointed in dry firing it, as it sounded like it had a very slow ROF. I then loaded up a mag and had a hard time firing less than 3 shots with a quick trigger pull (and I'm someone who normally uses a TM G36 in full-auto, w/ a 9.6v battery, to fire single shots).

Maybe I can shoot roaches with this. lol.

Hehehe, Hawaiian Bombers!

That's one thing I don't miss about living there - dodging the damned foot-long, flying roaches :P

Just got my MP7 so I thought I'd say a few things that I've found out while playing today. (Please keep in mind that nearly all my other weapons are AK varients: you have been warned!)

First off it's a little top and front heavy but it's easy enough to point and shoot due to the really clever sights. The grip is comfortable and the fire selector switch is much better possitioned than on the Navy-gripped MP5 series (it really digs into my thumb - anyone else find that?)

The stock is perfect for me when extended but not so perfect for my brother so that's gonna be a hard to call. It is very sturdy though (looks at AKS and frowns) and will easily take the weight of the weapon when extended.

It's well-built, strong, will take being dropped on the carpet from waist height and there's no rattle so far. As with all Marui stuff the cocking action is pretty poo though and it could have done with a metal cocking lever but we should all be used to that right? (TMP anyone?)

I was impressed with the Tracer Unit adaptor that comes as standard and it will screw into the AK/VN thread perfectly. Well done for that, Marui.

The mags are a bit light and stiff to in/excert to begin with but I think that'll ease in time. They've feed well though so far despite what I've read in a few other threads.

Overall I'm impressed. For someone who doesn't usually go in for compact PDW's I really like the little *badgeress*. It does a decent enough job filling the ground between AEP and AEG and many people will like it's simplicity. However, it ain't perfect and I reckon others will be pawning it before the Hop-Up tag's even come off.

I think had Marui concentrated on giving the thing a GBB makeover then we'd be looking at Weapon Of 2006. (Go on, Maruzen, you know you want to...)

As with all Marui stuff the cocking action is pretty poo though and it could have done with a metal cocking lever but we should all be used to that right? (TMP anyone?)

The real MP7's charging handle is polymer, so why should the replica have a metal one?

And how did the KSC TMP get dragged into a discussion about Tokyo Marui's designs? (Psst - by the way, just so you know, the real TMP also has a polymer charging handle :P )