Full MP7 Review

10. Charge time - First charge took two hours and fifteen minutes using the included charger.

Mine took about an hour and a half before it got warm and I unplugged it.

Does the charger have a cutoff timer? Or does the LED on the charger change color? I think I read somewhere that the charger was timed, but I can't seem to find it (or maybe it was just my imagination since I've been dreaming about this gun for awhile now). :P

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok went over the destructions for the charger and it does have a cut off. The light will go from Green to off mode which cuts off the charge.

I've noticed that when using my AEP charger for my g18c battery, the battery becomes hot to the touch and remains so for a good length of time before the LED turns off. Is it possible that these chargers may be overcharging the batteries a bit even though they eventually cut off? I've charged my mp7 battery just once since receiving it today, but I left the house while it was charging and returned long after the charger had cut off, so I haven't yet observed if the mp7 charger has the same tendency. Staticzero, do you have any thoughts on this?

I've only charged the one battery so far. I plugged it in an observed the red LED was on. I let it be, figuring it would take about two hours based on existing reports. Every so often, perhaps every fifteen minutes or so, I felt it to see if it was getting warm or in some cases just to see if the light was still on. After about two hours I started to wonder if the light would actually every turn off so I started checking it every five minutes or so. At no time did I observe the battery being excessively hot to the touch. At around the two hours and fifteen minutes mark I noticed the light was off. It was a good thing too since I had to leave. I pulled the battery and shoved it in my pocket along with the charger. It still didn't feel excessively hot to the touch at this point.

Keep in mind this is just one instance of charging one battery. Don't start drawing conclusions based on it. We'll see what happens with the next one.

nice rundown, staticzero.  how bout discharging that nicd?  any insight there?

For the moment, no. Use it until it's dead.

Ultimately I'm going to hack the power brick off and charge/discharge using my fast charger. That'll solve that problem for me at least.

If you were stuck with the included wall charger it may be possible to cut the wire and install tamiya connectors in line with it. Then you could connect the battery half to a regular old discharger if you so desired, or another charger.

Update to the list:

26. Magazine capacity - The magazine holds fifty rounds and of them all fifty can be fired. However if an unfinished mag is changed two BBs will drop out.

Edited by staticzero

Dean's in my case ;).

Another quick observation, I can (quite neatly) fit two mags per TAG 40mm grenade pouch. Otherwise it's one mag per pistol mag pouch of the one's I've tried so far.

Update: Battery #2 just finished charging. It also took around two hours and was slightly warm, but not hot, to the touch.

Also, the side rails are not G36C-sized. They are shorter and the spacing is different. The slot spacing is the same but the bars are narrower.

Here are a few pics to keep those of you waiting for the delivery man salivating.

With G&G SS-100 fitted.

DSCN0015.sized.jpg

With SS-100 and AimPoint on ARMS #22 mount.

DSCN0016.sized.jpg

With SS-100 and AimPoint on ARMS #22 mount with forward riser. The sights co-witness well though the AimPoint is a bit too high in this configuration.

DSCN0017.sized.jpg

With SS-100 and AimPoint on ARMS #22 mount with forward riser and G&G GP6-II light (obscured).

DSCN0018.sized.jpg

Now for some comparisons. Note that the gun(s) further back will appear slightly smaller due to the angle.

Clockwise from left: TM HiCapa 5.1, TM MP7A1, TM P90 TR, UTG MP5, KWA M11A1.

DSCN0001.sized.jpg

Top: UTG MP5, Bottom: TM MP7A1.

DSCN0005.sized.jpg

Top: KWA M11A1, Bottom: TM MP7A1.

DSCN0006.sized.jpg

Top: TM MP7A1 (mag inserted part way to simulate what a 'long' mag might look like), Bottom: KWA M11A1.

DSCN0007.sized.jpg

Top: TM P90 TR, Bottom: TM MP7A1 (mag inserted part way to simulate what a 'long' mag might look like).

DSCN0008.sized.jpg

Edited by staticzero

OK, Wupjak just asked me a good question.  Since we're dealing with nicd's here, how do we discharge the battery, besides firing?  Does the custom battery charger discharge the battery if the charger isn't plugged in?  Although the main MP7 manual has English translations at the bottom, there is a separate paper for the charger and battery that's only in Japanese. 

There is no necessity in the real world to discharge NiCds once in use.

Just re-charge, unless you always discharged and re-charge precisely ( as the original Nicads in Nasa Sats were ) the same amount, you have no chance of getting battery memory.

All the sensible evidence points this out, and practical experience of our rental batteries over several years has confirmed it.

Edited by {MIA}Gmac

Hey all, just got mine today! hurah! it rocks, (to look at!) but im haveing probems wit the charger in that i cant gharge it! any suggestions!? im in the Uk so the charger supplied wont work, anyone know how i can rig it to charge from uk power points!? through a fast charger maybe!? any help here would be hot

cheers guys in advance

Hey all, just got mine today! hurah! it rocks, (to look at!) but im haveing probems wit the charger in that i cant gharge it! any suggestions!? im in the Uk so the charger supplied wont work, anyone know how i can rig it to charge from uk power points!? through a fast charger maybe!? any help here would be hot

cheers guys in advance

why don't you just hop down to your local DIY shop/warehouse and get a UK-US voltage converter?

Works the same.

If you got money to spend, then you could chop the charging adapter for the battery, rewire it to a standard AEG battery plug and plug thart into your intelligent/smart charger

Hey FarEast, and everyone else who's interested:

You don't have to take the gun off of Safe to pull the charging handle back. There's a small lever right above the trigger that you push up which unlocks the charging handle. So here's to still being safe while adjusting hopup!

why don't you just hop down to your local DIY shop/warehouse and get a UK-US voltage converter?

i took the easy option and cut the wires off and hooked it up to my fast charger. works good! (for now eeep!) long term i will get a 240volt transformer and sort it!

Has anyone noticed that thier spare mags sticking and hard to put in? The one that came with the MP7 work fine but all the other ones seems to stick really hard. I have to slam it to get it into the magwell.

i did notice this, but to solve it i just spent a few minutes practicing mag change drills, and it wore the mags in they still have a slight stiffness but it goes in now, i think the spare mags nhave a nicer sound to them also once they go in smoothly!

Eotech looks too big for this gun!

has anyone elses cocking handle spring stopped working? mine has, just doesnt spring any more, doesnt seem to affect it though!

Edited by Number5

Many thanks for the pictures, staticzero. I was curious as to what it would look like with the stock fully extracted. Makes it a little longer than I originally thought. It's now back on my "Maybe" list :)

And that MP7 with the eotech is pretty darned sexy!

Does anyone know if the vert grip can be removed? I'm not a fan of them at all

Edited by KasrkinCK
For all you lot with charger problems, have you by any chance checked your bathroom to see if you have 110v Shaver socket ;) ?

incase you haven't saw my post in the other mp7 thread, I've cut the wire of the charger and connected it to my logic charger.... and it worked... So no more crapy marui charger... :D

this is surely a better solution since you get discharging, fast charging..etc with your normal charger...

Edited by FUmiYAsu

You don't have to take the gun off of Safe to pull the charging handle back. There's a small lever right above the trigger that you push up which unlocks the charging handle. So here's to still being safe while adjusting hopup!

Are you talking about this switch?

selector_area.sized.jpg

If so its a dummy switch and does absolutly nothing.

Surely tht's the bolt release for the real steel version and does nothing in the airsoft version... The point about the safety switch is that it is in the way of the ejection port, but NOT tht it stops the charging handle or anything. You do not need to press any switch or buttons to pull the charging handle back.

For all you lot with charger problems, have you by any chance checked your bathroom to see if you have 110v Shaver socket ;) ?

Aye aye aye, please don't try that. The pins on the charger are flat, whereas UK shavers have round pins...! Either adapt the charging leads to use standard chargers, or get a converter from Maplins (etc).

I fired a couple rounds today. Nothing like my M15 CQB (of course) but it's not too bad. Hopefully upgrades will come out soon though, because the FPS isn't to my liking.

Also, has anyone else noticed that on semi, some shots fall flat of the mark, like its getting absolutely no compression? Full auto works like a charm though. :huh: