Best eye protection?

navymp28

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My goggles just arrived in the post, gonna fire a magazine into the lens from my P226, make sure they're up to it. Incidentally, they wont stay on my PASGT helmet when i put them on, like the Rangers do in Black Hawk Down, they keep slipping off. Any tips on how to make them stay?

Well, i just emptied a magazine from my P226 into my goggles at point blank range, and the only marks were from the gas, and after a quick wipe with a cloth and some water, they were as though nothing had happened. So a big thumbs up to ESS Military series goggles!!

Best tip for making goggles stay on is to put a little square (half-inch by a half-inch or so) of hook-side velcro under where the straps go, stuck to the helmet. The velcro digs into the strap and makes it stay put (as long as the strap is tight enough to hold the goggles on the helmet), but if you need to remove them, the goggles pull right off.

Just a warning to anyone using oakley M frames or half jackets. Those badboys fog like there is no tomorrow. Then again, i am particularly prone to fogging goggles for some strange reason. Buyer beware!

Other than that, they're absolutely awesome pieces of kit.

Best tip for making goggles stay on is to put a little square (half-inch by a half-inch or so) of hook-side velcro under where the straps go, stuck to the helmet. The velcro digs into the strap and makes it stay put (as long as the strap is tight enough to hold the goggles on the helmet), but if you need to remove them, the goggles pull right off.

OK, do i put the velcro on the sides or at the back?

Wherever works for you. I put 2 little squares near the back (say the 5 and 7 o'clock positions) and it works fine, but then goggles naturally stay on a Protec Ace Water anyway due to the shape.

My goggles did stay for a little bit. Then after some serious running then came off, so I ziptied em to my helmet, works pretty damn good. ;)

• 2 months later...

What about motorcycle goggles like BirdZ? The local fields and the local league requires eye protection that's ANSI Z87.1-2003, full sealing, and no vents or holes larger than 6 mm. Being that they're motorcycle goggles, they're supposed to protect your eyes from rocks and pebbles on the highway right? If you drive, and have ever had one hit your windshield, you know what I mean.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...prclo=&saprchi=

If they dont have the ballistics ratings, it's impossible to say YES.

The only confirmation would be buying one and testing it out with a high powered AEG on full auto at close range. Even then, it's not entirely safe.

That's how we test everything - CA or ICS AEG point blank.

Somewhere at home I've got some pictures of a pair of goggles a friend had. Apparently he got them for free from his brother, who got them from being on his county's disaster/terrorism response unit.

They were destroyed by a stock CA MP5.

Gives you a lot of confidence in the equipment of our first responders, no? Remember - all government equipment is made by the lowest bidder.

Not always true Hive, but that is the general standard (lowest bidder).

I actually bought a pair of those BirdZ lenses from EBay since I really liked the low profile design. Will test them out when they get here, and report back.

If you end up playing at any paintball fields, as is fairly common around here, or in Cali, you need to wear actual paintball goggles, but not necessarily the mask. Thus I stick with Jt Spectras, and WileyX SG1s.

Which Evert? That's a big list to test out, and for most I wouldn't trust my eyes with.

I just meant are there any on that page that would do? I am just trying to save money but in the end its probably better that i save my eyes.

Edit: ahh well just looks like ill have to use my old goggles at this saturdays private game (with 20+ people).

A +1 for who ever can tell me if any of thesewould be suitable for airsoft

Those glasses are readily available at any hardware/Wal-Mart store and wouldnt' be allowed in my kneck of the woods.

Here are my local rules:

Eye Protection: Proper eye protection is mandatory at every Airsoft field in the state of Texas. Only the use of Industry approved Paintball Manufactured fully-sealing goggles are acceptable at ALL fields. However Ballistic Shooting Goggles that do not have any cracks or holes larger than 6mm are allowed on most Airsoft fields pending Field Owner approval. All lenses must be rated at ANSI Z87.1-2003 (also known as Z87.1+). Regular shop goggles, shooting glasses, or sunglasses are not adequate enough for protection and are not allowed! If the eye protection is not FULL SEALING (meaning NO gaps between the face and lens/frame) then you must receive permission to use that eye protection from the Field Owner.

Archived