The Hissing_Sid incident

Hi all,

Arnie is still unable to get to a computer terminal to post about this himself, but he has made a statement that he has asked me to put up here on his behalf...

I wouldn't normally consider it good policy to talk about banned members as they don't have the ability to respond, but as this has been opened up in to a public row by some of our members I thought this statement is needed.

Sid has been a disruptive influence on these forums for at least the last 12 months and on each occasion when he has been warned, he ignored our requests and returned to his previous form.  He was given the leeway at every stage that would normally be given to every other user, but pushed the limits on what could be done and said.  When politely asked to reign in offensive commentary and diatribe he would temporarily change his ways but quickly return to form.  Unfortunately offensive commentary and an overly negative attitude to other users was not condusive towards the forums.

Ivery was asked to watch over the forums by me while I was unavailable and the choice to ban Sid was mine.  Due to technical difficulties however, Sid's account was deleted instead of flagged as Banned.  This is a minor logistical issue and will be corrected once I have time to access the forums correctly.  Sid will remain banned however.

I would now consider the matter closed.

I would ask that all offensive comments against Ivery for helping me or other moderators for keeping the forums running, now stop.  The use of these forums is a privilege, not a right.  Sometimes decisions have to be made that are not popular with 100% of the forum members, but you can't please everyone all of the time.  My interest lies with keeping this site and this community running smoothly for all to enjoy.

I would also expect that any members that have sent hostile comments over this issue are responsible enough to offer their apologies to those they have offended, whoever that may be.

Ultimately any friction caused by this issue is my own fault for not being able

to put the hours in on this site of late.  This is a situation I hope to rectify in the coming weeks.

So that's it - Case closed. Now let's get on with enjoying the forums ;)

Cant sid just make a new account anyways?

That would be a duplicate account, and a breach of forum rules.

On the other hand, with his old account vanished. A new account would not be a duplicate of anything existing. It would be more like restoring an account.

ugh... so what are we gonna do for techie help. I admit sid was rude at times but i think this is gonna cause a mess. Bad diagnosis of problems flying around. if i find that techie goes to the dogs i might just jump ship to ASCUK. :(

EDIT: 2 mins and my point is proven ;)

Edited by Kipper

Ya know, I really do hope that everyone who neg-repped Ivery will apologise and move on. He's banned. Woo-hoo.

I am an admin on one site and a moderator on another, and very frequently I have seen decisions made that, while not always popular with the users, are generally for the better.

I am not privy to all that went on here, so I am not going to say too much about the incident, but my feeling is this:

If Arnie wanted it done, respect that and stop bitching. Frankly, I won't miss Sid at all.

well, sid is gone, kinda sad, but after reading the words from Arnie, hissing sid should take his responsibility

It's a pity though to see a good technical talent go.

A silly idea, but maybe it would be possible to create a separate subforum under Technical Discussion, which would be the only forum Hissing Sid has access to? An isolation room, or whatever it is called... this would give two benefits (if technically possible):

- those who would like to get advice from Sid could still do that, and that knowledge would be archived for future searches.

- those who cannot stand him could simply ignore this particular subforum. As Sid couldn't post in other subforums, perceived "noise" would be limited (damage control).

Given Arnie's justification of banning Hissing Sid it is not a feasible solution, but... it's just an idea. I do not want to take sides in the dispute, given lack of facts to base my opinion on, but in a LOT of searches it's Hissing Sid's information that comes up as useful...

I guess my idea comes down to whether advantages to members (of having Sid onboard) outweight issues with creating a subforum.

Of course Arnie has the deciding word here, it's not a democracy after all (in a positive sense!)

I won't apologize to Ivery. He did make a mistake when he deleted Sids account. I can say that I forgive him in the light that Arnie has backed him up about it.

Sid was rough around the edges, yes. He had his problem. He was very ... erm ... unpolite at times.

However, the man knew his stuff. No one will be able to replace him.

I personally blame the mods with not doing their duty in the first place. If he was such a problem, they should have banned him ages ago. 12 months is a long time to try and decide if a member should get the sack or not.

I'm grumpy now. I'm still on Sids side on this one. But I won't fight it. He did deserve it, yes. But he was really the Forums best adviser on the subject of internal upgrades and maintenance.

I for one will greatly miss the man.

Sincerely,

~Prometheus

Thanks for the comments so far. One thing that needs to be said though is that this is a decision that the owner of the site has made and we will not see this debate restarted as to who was right or wrong and whether Sid should be banned or not, and how.

All of the information regarding the decision has been stated by Arnie and as he said, "I would now consider the matter closed".

Now let's get on with enjoying the forum.

P.S. - Oh, and Lord_Jebus - your post was not deleted because you disagreed, it was deleted because you had blatently not read what Arnie had said, then you started insulting his decision. He owns and runs the site and has put more work in to this community than anyone. He also provides this service free of charge to you, and you choose to use it. Your post was also just going to restart the debate which is pointless as it is now closed and done with.

Any future posts that try to reopen this issue for debate will be removed as it is pointless and is harming this community.

I don't actually know Sid - but to be honest, if he was like Arnie said, and I don't know why Arnie would lie about it, then he deserves what he got in my opinion. There is no reason to be disruptive or insulting, especially on a forum. There are people who swear left, right and center when they're actually talking, but when typing, you have time to review what you're saying, and if he didn't actually have that courtesy, and he was warned, then I definitely think Arnie has made the right choice.

EDIT: Hadn't seen the last post in this forum because I was typing the reply when it was posted, so I apologise if this re-opened the debate...Wasn't meant to.

Edited by Gary_Scott

Just close the thread.

Arnie stand by his decision and I support him in it.

Hissing Sid had a tendency of being overly offensive, and kind of deserved to get banned, now he is and there's nothing that the "Omfg Sid4lyfe" fanboys can do about it.

If the matter is considered to be closed, close the thread or this will go on forever.

-FMJ :)

Well, I've talked to Ivery and pretty much apoligized for my neg rep. He braught it to my attention that arnie was behind him and why. I am satisfied. The main thing I was upset about was the deleting of his account, as banning him seems to have been the right choice. I was upset that it would be impossible to access any useful information posted by Sid. Ivery has informed me that the info is still accessible. So, as I have said. I am content. I will of course, miss Sid's presence on these forums. In my opinion, he will be missed by most members, but his removing was necessary.

Oh, these are sad times. :(

Just close the thread.

Arnie stand by his decision and I support him in it.

Hissing Sid had a tendency of being overly offensive, and kind of deserved to get banned, now he is and there's nothing that the "Omfg Sid4lyfe" fanboys can do about it.

If the matter is considered to be closed, close the thread or this will go on forever.

-FMJ :)

I am inclined to agree. Everything that could be said has been said, and I am spending most of my time deleting arguments and posts that are just designed to start arguments from this thread.

Decision made, announcement made, thread closed. Let there be no more about this as this matter has been deemed closed by Arnie.