Greetz,

This is the gun i have been waiting for, for a loooong time, mainly due to ICS messing about with gearboxes (more on that later) but at last, i have the precious, AK74M assault rifle :) Much debate has sprouted about the trueness of this gun over the past months, and many bent to pressure and bought a Classic Army SLR105a1 instead, with its very sexy, 'Made in Las Vegas' Arsenal Trademarks. The ICS AK74M is Full licensed with the Kalashnikov trades :)

trades4wd.jpg

I'm not going to bore you with it's history, as nobody reads these bits anyhow :P The AK74m is in use at the moment in the Russian army, it is a fully modernised version of the AKM, which in turn is a modernised version of the original AK47 :)

Okays, on with the review!

First impressions:

akbox9ku.jpg

Opon seeing the box, i was wetting my self with anticipation, in the middle of this, i happened to notice some little boxes on the box, which say:

omg1zl.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, it is obvious that ICS intend to release more variants, lets just hope that the AKS74, is a side folder!

Moving on, opening the box, i am greeted with much sex! And a speedloader containing 1000 bbs, a cleaning rod, two mags, site adjustment tool, barrel plug and instruction leaflet. The whole gun seems far better packaged than the other ICS guns.

sglory0bd.jpg

I must confess that my first impression was: ZOMG!

Edited by Soloman
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gun:

ak74m20ix.jpg

Picking up the gun, i was quite suprised at the weight, 3.5kg! It is nicely distributed Not too heavy at either end :) The finish is supurb! I cannot tell it from the real thing! Slotting the mag in, there is a little click, and absolutely no wobble to be seen, or creaks to be heard, anywhere.

ak74m15qz.jpg

To Adjust the hopup you must pull the bolt back, and it goes back, all the way, unlike the Classic Army version ^_^ The Hopup is extremely easy to use, and is adjusted by pushing the slider back or forth. The bolt makes a very satisfying sound when racked

rightside5qe.jpg

hopup9zb.jpg

Everything on this gun strips like the real thing, the handguards come off by pushing the dissembly latch and pulling them off, and the dust cover comes off very easily to expose the full bolt, which you take out (simply) to get to the gearbox, which i presume, by looking at the manual, is very easily done.

frontend7qu.jpg

On the left hand side of the gun, there is a sight mount, which on every other AK model on the market at the moment, isn't present, an you would have to buy one, and drill into the body to fit it, to be able to mount any sort of scope or sight. THis, in my books, is a biiiiiiig plus.

leftside20hy.jpg

The flashider, can be taken off very simply, to reveal a 14mm thread, of which direction, i don't know.

thread9ml.jpg

Many people have critised the handgrip, saying it is too big; i find it to be extremely comfortable, and the right size for my hands (for the record, i have 'normal' sized hands :P) Another point of complaint was the stock, in the flesh it is fine, looks good too ^_^

stock9zu.jpg

The battery is still charging at the moment, but when it finishes i will do a breif technical overview.

Overall, i am very impressed with this gun, if it fires as good as it looks, we have a surefire winner! The only cons, being the 'big' pistol grip, and the cleaning rod rattle about a bit, but, nothing a bit of 'leccy tape can't fix!

I am in love with this gun, and i hope you enjoyed reading my review :D

The stock should look more like this (but then in black offcourse):

http://www.k-var.com/shop/images/AK-020GUSW.jpg

Pistolgrip should look like this:

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ek...91941/grips.jpg

As opposed to:

http://www.icsbb.com/news/photo/1(8).jpg

And yes these are quite small remarks.. both parts can be replaced. I'm quite interested in it's performance and to see when ICS is going to release the other Ak's it has mentioned on the box..

Edited by FW200

Good point well made about the sight rail, Soloman.

I use a Guarder AKS-74M (exactly like this ICS model but with a side-folding stock) and a sight rail's not included with the Guarder add-on kit. I had to buy one specially and drill and fit it myself. Not a really major hassle but It's great to see ICS thinking about stuff and getting everything in the right place.

I agree with you also, Tink. The CA SLR was an awful rifle and was way too unrealistic to warrant the price tag. (It hasn't even got a metal rear-sight block! What's up with that?!?)

This rifle though, I think I can overlook the slight differences in the stock and grips to the real-steel. I guess I've been spoilt by having a Guarder version for the last year or so but ICS have to be commended on the job they've done with this.

I will buy one. Not 'cos I need one but because I want ICS to know I care...