General gear & load out question

infected

My brother in law and myself got into airsoft this past christmas, and now each have the UTG mp5's v2. We don't have much in the way of local airsoft sites w/ skirmishes, so it's just us and some friends getting together from time to time.

Well, as you guys know, this hobby gets both addicting and expensive. So here is where we are at.

Right now we only have the MP5's, and are looking to get some gear (bdu, load bearing vests, and such). Now I'm a bit of a novice, but to my understanding mp5's are most often used by local law enforcement special operations, and SEALs. I don't know other units that use them.

What would you guys suggest for uniforms, load bearing vests, and side arms to create a somewhat authentic load out without breaking the bank?

btw i have already done a search but didn't find exactally what I need, since I do not know yet what I am trying to look like :D. (if that made any sense). Thanks for helping out a noob!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're asking an enormous question, and the short answer is: read more.

You need to better develop your question before anyone can give you a more meaningful answer than that, unfortunately. But it seems you already know that.

Do you want to do a SEAL team impression, a SWAT team impression, or are you just looking for functional gear? Do you play woodland, CQB or both? What's your price range?

Answer those and people can help you more. :)

Yeah, after reading back over my question I can see what you're saying about the broadness of my question. I left out some details that I ment to put in. It's hard to type with a sick 1 year old baby in your hands :D.

My bro in law I think wanted more of a SEAL look. I really could go for either SEAL or SAS, but the catch is that we live in Georgia, so most of our game play is going to be in a woodlands type area.

I'm still reading up, as a noob should, but any more info you guys could give me would be great!

I suggest you have a good look at www.militaryphotos.net as it has some great pics that are applicable to MP5's i.e. Navy Seal ship raiding(the ones wearing flightsuits and Protecs)

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/Gul...orm/DNSC9303387

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/US_...ining_In_Kuwait

Thanks for the photos tommygunn, all the ones I found though didn't give me much in the way of camo ideas (although some great pics of the mp5's). I read the other thread about camo and SEAL units a few weeks ago I think. Does anyone know what the current woodland pattern they use look like? I know that the Marines have their Woodland MARPAT, and the army just switched to their new Digital ACU's, but as far as woodland and SEAL units are concerned, what are they using?

It's woodland/tri as there has been no news on Seal BDU's as of late. Just mod them RAID style. Again see MP.net

Thing is MP5's are used for short range, i.e. CQB, Ship raiding, anti-terrorist etc, so if your wearing woodland and operating in 'conventional warfare' your going to be carrying a medium to long-range weapon like an M4.

^speaks the truth. To mod your woodland BDUs, take off the lower two pockets of the BDU blouse, and sew them on either arm of BDU Blouse, and there you go..RAID Bdus. Definitely Check out militartyphotos.net they have a ###### load of pictures there and lot of Navy seal/Ranger/MFR blah blah gear experts in the airsoft/reenactment section.

Not meaning to jump on what you say MarineDEP but I would say upper pocket affixed to arms and lower pockets affixed to chest. The lower/Below pockets are rather large for the circumference of the arm.

EDIT:

Oh, just got in on your late post.

Not meaning to jump on what you say MarineDEP but I would say upper pocket affixed to arms and lower pockets affixed to chest. The lower/Below pockets are rather large for the circumference of the arm.

EDIT:

Oh, just got in on your late post.

True, that would make more since. BDU w/o top pockets would look odd though hhaa but a buddy of mine did it with the bottom pockets <_<

marinedep, thanks for that link. That really helped me out a good bit. So I'm thinking woodland bdu RAID style now.

Any suggestions on what type of pistol I should carry (that a SEAL would use). I'm not looking for a brand, but rather a make. It my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), that M9's are common carry among SEAL units.

Again thanks for helping turn a noob into... well... not a noob.

I'm not sure if they are used by SEALs but a MK23 Socom would be rather nice. Thinking of Tears of the Sun here. I'm admitting my Noobness here but I'm actually not sure what branch they were in the movie (SF, SEALs etc.) But those MK23's were just awesome (as was the movie).

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

New KJW P226 is out in full metal IIRC.

That could help with your load out on a budget.

If you are looking to do this on the cheap, you could start with a more generic SEAL-like load out which more details could be added to later.

I'd recommend starting with good old fashioned Woodland BDU and Boonie hats, Pistol Belts, ALICE Suspenders (H style if you can get them, Newer Y style if you must), Mp5 Mag Pouches, Standard Butt Packs, Canteens and low to mid priced pistol holsters. This will give you a fairly generic baseline military look, and as you get more loot together, you can start to sub in more authentic and SEAL specific gear.

alice_fighting_load.gif

Since a good deal of this stuff has been replaced with newer gear, you may be able to find it in your local Army Surplus on the cheap.

Sorry to veer off the Geardo path, but in the beginning multi-use generic stuff always seems to work out better IMHO

Edit: Obviously replace the M16 mag pouches with Mp5 Pouches (I'm partial to 3-4 cell drop leg style :) )

I didn't realise that SEALs used the USP (a personal favorite of mine)... hum... okay.

I'm going to hit local surplus store (only one near by) to see what they have. So what your suggesting is using ALICE style suspenders as opposed to a tradional tactical vest such as : http://airsoftatlanta.com/images/warhead_c...aw_od_1_jpg.jpg

I didn't realise that SEALs used the USP (a personal favorite of mine)... hum... okay.

I'm going to hit local surplus store (only one near by) to see what they have.    So what your suggesting is using ALICE style suspenders as opposed to a tradional tactical vest such as :  http://airsoftatlanta.com/images/warhead_c...aw_od_1_jpg.jpg

KWA Has a full size USP with OD Green lower portion and Metal slide out at www.airsoftgi.com, it's a package with BB's and an extra mag. Like the others have been saying, woodland BDU's are where it is at with SEAL impression and what the other dood said, bottom pockets to the chest and top pockets to the arms, the few team guys I know were going on on me about my impression and that I needed to do just that. If you wanna get crazy hardcore you can add a set of black scuba pro swim fins and a flotation collar. Boonie hat is a must as well as an 8 point.

When I get off of shift I can post a few Seal images I have at the house that demonstrate nicely what I am reffering too.

Tahnks navymp28, i'd really appreciate the images. I went to a local suplus store... it was utter ######! ughh...

I'm definatly going with the boonie hat for sure (always thought those rocked).

The USP is a definate buy (just a matter of $$$ -- anyone want to pitch in).

So I think i've go this all figured out for the most part. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the ALICE suspenders (where to get them and what to attach).

Would you recomend using a tactical leg holster for the USP, and using mp5 mag pouches that attach to the ALICE suspenders? What else should I add to look authentic?

You guys rock, keep up with the suggestions and I"ll be back on later looking for those pics navymp28.

Sounds like you are well on the way :)

I recommended the ALICE gear over a vest right now, because long term I think you can get more milage out of them (Lots of different units use / have used ALICE gear). I currently use a vest (I'm not much of a stickler for authenticity) but I keep my ALICE gear around cause vests can get hot in the summer.

As for holsters, I don't know what others think but I don't like drop legs... They always end up wrapped around my knees at the worst possible time. I prefer a good belt holster, worn high on my right side and a bit back (over my kidney). It keeps my back up handy, but also out of my way (especially when prone). For Mp5 mags they seem ok, as the mags are usually light, and don't pull quite as much.

Archived