STAR M249 PARA review

Finally, the gun I've been praying for has arrived on my doorstep :P. The STAR M249 is a very innovative gun, for example the mag winds when the trigger is pulled (more on that to come). Ok on to the review.

OUT OF THE BOX

When I first opened the case that the gun came in I noticed that it was putting immense pressure on the gun, I don't know how the guys at ASGI got all for flaps to snap into place, so I just started cutting out the outline of the gun in the foam so it takes away that pressure and is still snug. Back to the gun, Very sturdy no creaks and no problems, except that one of the bi-pod legs some times moves a couple of millimetres out but no big.

Oh did I mention that this gun is amazing

933b394e.jpg

Back to the auto-winding box this is how it works, There are four contacts on the spot where it loads (I guess). Two for the guns power supply, and two for the mag to wind

78c52f35.jpg

One cool feature is the barrel release switch, It moves but the barrel don't come out, I think they should have spent the time on making the gun fire AR mags, But oh well

M249013.jpg

The mag is one part that STAR did right. The battery goes in the middle compartment. The batteries that power the mag go below it, and the bbs go in the top compartment.

7eae5412.jpg

The carry handle is very strong and you can hold the gun with it, A big change from TOP's and CA's versions wicth the handle will flex or bend. Sorry for me not taking a pic of me holding it by the handle. But heres a pic of the handle anyway.

616186c0.jpg

I haven't had a chance to open er up yet but heres the gear box.

09234147.jpg

The stock is done very well

0730ad2e.jpg

And here are some more pics

933b394e.jpg

5cc7484b.jpg

2a9494c0.jpg

I will give this gun a 9/10. Good quality, solid, looks great

Edited by Bloodhound

Nice review :)

I played with the STAR one a few weeks ago.

From a guy that has fired a Minimi, the gun is a bit disappointing. Lacks the weight of the real one, but more importantly lacks the clic-clack of the cocking handle when it means business.

I was not pleased to not be able to flip open the feed tray cover and slap it down. The plastic made me think twice.

From an airsofter's point of view its nice. Its solid and functional, Box mags works well, and the stock is solid (though its not to my liking). ROF is normal, on the low side I thought (possibly because it had an 8.4v battery in it). To do an airsoft SAW any justice the ROF needs to be high. But overall, its 7.5/10 from an airsofter's brief examination.

I haven't seen the innards so I can't say for sure whats inside.

But what really got me was just the fact that nothing moved, or stripped down made it seem like just another AEG. Minimi is a minimi because its big solid, and can fiddle with the feed tray, rounds, and the nasty bolt.

I guess there is the pose factor, but that wears off, especially if one is used to 9kg of lead and steel, plus spare belts in your webbing.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n