Firefox plugin!

I was thinking about the Firefox plugins for other sites such as google and such, along with the Gmail notifier......

what if we had an Arnies plugin where you would get IMMEDIATE notification of a new personal message, and a search function in your Firefox search box...

~P

• 3 weeks later...

You can add the Arnies search engine to Firefox by right-clicking the search box on the search form and selecting "Add a Keyword for this Search".

Then, you just have to type "<keyword> <search term>" into the address bar.

For example, if I selected the keyword AA and I wanted to find stuff about the SL8, I'd type "aa sl8" into the address bar.

//edit: Also, if you have a GMail address then set your e-mail address on here to the GMail address and download the GMail notifier. It sits in your system tray (Windows only, unfortunately) and when you receive e-mail it lights up and tells you, and gives you a sneak preview. If you turn on e-mail notification for Private Messages on here, then that'll do your immediate notification.

Edited by gazchap
A broswer bar would be nice, and/or a Firefox plugin, but I refuse to run sh*t like the Google desktop notifier thingy because it just kills speed.

The GMail notifier is different to the Google Desktop program.

Google Desktop kills your speed because it's almost constantly indexing the files on your computer so you can search through them.

The GMail notifier literally just sits as a small icon in your system tray, and hardly takes up any resources. Most of the time it's totally idle.

Hit a slight problem. To explain it, it'll use google as an example. If you look when you do a google search, you'll see that the url is something like:

http://www.google.com/search?q=hello

Where hello is the search term.

I can't seem to find an equivalent for Arnies search. Once I have this, I'll be able to post something up that should do it.

It seems that the search form will only accept input via HTTP POST and not HTTP GET, which is why it's not working.

That'll serve me right for not testing things before I post them. I'm guessing that Firefox detects it's a POSTed form and doesn't show the box. Maybe it didn't do that in the version I had before.

*shrugs*