Tokyo Marui MP5a5 BOYs

Tokyo Marui MP5a5 BOYs

The Full Review Inc. FANQ's

Okay.. MP5a5BOYs. What can I say? I don't know, but I'll list the questions I've read most in the forum:

Are they skirmishable?

Well.. Yes and no. This really depends on what you intend to use the BOYs for. They're nothing but plinking guns and remember, they're for young kids in Japan (hence BOYs) but anyone can play with them basically..

In CQB skirmishes you might just get away with using one of these, the high ROF (same as fullsized AEGs believe it or not) will more than suffice in CQB.

What batteries do they take?

SIX (yes, SIX) AA batteries in the foregrip, four in the centre and two on the sides. If you get one of these babies be sure to buy three pairs of rechargeable batteries to go with them, as you're just wasting money on non-rechargeables when they go flat. Believe me this is highly recommended

Build quality?

Honestly, and no bullsh!t, it's as solid as a rock (well the MP5a5) the material is EXACTLY the same used on the MP5K AEG. It's even got the fake welding texture from the MP5K. The stock is extendable to three positions (unlike the M4BOYs, which has 4 positions) fully extended, half, and closed.

Realistic?

Much more than the M4BOYs, the cocking lever is functional. I can officially say the cocking handle is NOT like the full sized MP5s (which snap after afew executions of the "HK bitchslap") You can bitchslap this mofo all night long, and in return, you'll be grinning all night long by the sound it makes ^__^

Rear sight has 4 different sized holes, adjustable. Mag release is all there, even the button on the right depresses when you push the paddle button (infront of the trigger guard)

Do they have hop-up?

Yes, ADJUSTABLE too. I opened up my M4BOYs and found the hop up system to be VERY sturdy and very reliable, it doesn't move at all when firing, even after hundreds of rounds through, the hop up will stay in position. The rubber hop is actually in a V shape, unlike a hump found on the fullsized AEG models. Seems like this design may be the new trend by future TM models?

Hop up is strong enough to make a .12g go flying vertical, but strangely enough, not enough to make a .2g travel straighter than 10meters..

Magazine feed system? Bleh??

Okay, this maybe quite confusing but I'll try and explain. The magazine is like a highcap, you put the bbs in a trap door and pull a tab down, which will lock at the bottom (like on a KSC magazine) the turn the magazine horizontal, which then the bb's will drop into the feeding tube. After the bb's falling into place, press a button on the side of the magazine which releases the bb follower tab which then forces the bb's to the top of the mag, ready to be fed into the gun..

....Get me? Repeat and repeat this until theres no bb's left in the reservoir (all this is without taking out the mag, realistic in a certain way when you're reloading, honestly.)

Do any aftermarket parts for the full sized MP5s work for the MP5BOYs?

.......Shut up. The BOYs range is 15% smaller than the full sized AEGs. Ask me again and I'll slap ya

Are they worth the money?

YES, definately, if you not compare them with their big brothers all the effing time (it's what gets me sick, people always saying they suck, compared to a full sized AEG) it's more than half the price of an AEG, but you get the same materials used from a AEG, the same ROF you get from an AEG.

Nuff with the FANQ's (Frequently asked noob questions) let's get into more detail:

Contents please?

Well you get the gun, magazine, small box of QUALITY .12g bbs, and a hollow place for 6 AA batteries (I don't know why TM do this if they don't include batteries with their guns...)

The stock is extended fully when in the box, kinda weird as it takes up alot of room and makes the box more bigger than it needs to be..

CIMG4806.jpg

Flashy typical TM box and flashy new toy!

ROF(L)

Seriously this is something that gives the BOYs less to laugh at. ROF is almost the same as my P-90, I've fired both from each hand. The only difference is the size and recoil.. The P-90 has a deep kickback feel and the MP5BOYs is like a light vibration... Yeah I shouldn't be comparing these to real steel as I'll be contradicting myself..

Anyway, if you own a BOYs AEG first, you'll be amazed at the ROF, if you get a BOYs after a fullsized AEG, you'll know what ROF to expect.

Power?

I would say it's average, power lacks slightly less than a decent UHC springer, but range is much more further. The hop up is adjustable, but it won't send a .2g straight up to 10meters, and no we're not expecting fullsized AEG power and range. Thats what most people don't understand, the BOYs aren't suppose to be competing with it's bigger brothers, and plus they're not designed to be used with .2gs. Even with that said, you'll still weep to momma if one of these babies lands half a mag to your bare skin. Trust me.. It hurts just much as an AEG. Only with .12gs..

I have no idea about chrono's as I don't own a chronograph, so don't bother asking for the FPS, look at ZeroOne or some well-known retailers website.

Cocking Lever

This was probably the only reason I bought the MP5a5 over the M4a1BOYs. THE WORKING COCKING LEVER! The M4 does not have a functioning cocking lever, which detracts from the realism (and don't you point out that the BOYs are 15% smaller than the full sized counterparts I KNOW THAT) but anyway. The cocking lever can be locked in position, and the HK bitchslap can be performed (See upcoming videos) it's amazingly realistic, especially when recorded using my digicam. Theres nothing else to the cocking lever, doesn't actually do anything. Just a notch up on the fiddle factor ^__^

CIMG4816.jpg

Cocking lever in the locked position, now get that palm out and HK bitchslap the lever down!

Fire selector

Much better than the fullsized AEG MP5 variants. Positive clicks and has no signs of wearing down.

CIMG4812.jpg

Hop up

Adjustable, like I've said many times. It's located next to the ejector port on the right of the gun (muzzle pointing right) the travel is very short from maximum to minimum, you are forced to use your fingernails for precise tuning. The slider isn't hidden like on the M4BOYs (under the ejector port) I'm sure people will *badgeress* about that but I'm okay with it.

CIMG4813.jpg

Close up of hop-up slider

Battery compartment

It's under the foregrip, as I mentioned before; four AA batteries in the middle, two on the side. Easy. Don't understand? Here's a picture

CIMG4815.jpg

The magazine

It's a kind of highcap type magazine, very light, no lead weights (kind of like a EBB magazine) pull tab down, shake magazine horizontal and press the button for the tab to shoot back up. The bb's that are fed are visible from the back so you can tell when you're almost out of bb's. Neat!

CIMG4820.jpg

Rear of the magazine

CIMG4821.jpg

Right side of magazine where tab release button is located

Overall

Definately worth the money, much better than the M4BOYs, has more improvements such as realism (cocking lever) and build quality (No fragile barrel like on the M4BOYs).

Only decent place you can buy these in the UK is ZeroOne.

www.zeroonairsoft.com - £59 exc P&P (£65.50 inc P&P)

EDIT#3 (by R22Master): Just hosted your pics TaQ. Enjoy... ;)

Image 1

taq-boysmp5-1.jpg

Image 2

taq-boysmp5-2.jpg

Image 3

taq-boysmp5-3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Good review!! I would say that it can equally be applied to the AIM Boys MP5, which as far as I can tell is made by the same people as the TM one. From your review it seems to be exactly the same as my AIM one. The AIM is only £32 at Airsoft Scotland (go to assault rifles)

and it is a cool gun.

Keep up the good work old chap! :D

Madkat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i had the same gun but AIM version, it was very good

the reservoir holds about 25 bbs, so after firing them u must pull the lever down and shake, then repeat and repeat ( VERY ANNOYING )

the accuracy was ok, but as with the light bbs some would stray others go higher than others etc

i dont think it would be a good backup because after the 25 shots, ( go quickly )

you would need to pull down the mag tab, shake and then readjust aim etc

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

picked one of these up new for 25 quid posted (off the forum) as a wallhanger (i dont mind it being a bit smaller)

Its a great little thing, damn good quality, would maybe suffice as a "last resort" style weapon, but you'd be better off with a pistol really as it isnt the best to carry as a backup.

But i only really bought it for a wallhanger/bit of fun, its no where near powerful enough for anything more than plinking