The Quest for a better TM MP7A1...

staticzero

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you mean putting a cell in the vertical foregrip then the answer is no as discussed on the first page:

That was my original thinking as well. However I took the foregrip off and there's really no room in there because of the retention mechanism. If you sacrificed that part (in other words if you made the grip fixed in either position) it could probably be done. However, it's less than ideal.

ok ... this idea dont really add much voltage (+0.2v) but loads of amps (x3 - x4)...

i think you should go for LiPol batteries.

you could probably squeese in a 11.1 v @ 2000 mAh ... but that would be a huge overkill (and strip your gears real quick) ...

but a 7.4 v around 2Ah would probably ideal , since the form factor is about the same, and the fuse is only 10A, so the LiPols would handle the drain ...

Exacly my thought. The first thing i thought about MP7 was that it still uses 7.2v batteries. So Lipols should be perfect. You can get them 7.2v ( 2 cell lipos) in all diffrent shapes and sizes ranging from 250mah to 4000 mah. I am sure you will find one that is exacly the same size as are the current TM batts. But you could get around 1-2 amps for that size.

Yeah, you could do that, make a dummy pack with the mp7 battery connector, leading to a regular Tamiya plug.

But the thing is that'll make it less appealing, i mean it will make the mp7 more bulky, when the main feature of the mp7 was the compact dimensions.

One thing im gonna do though, is make a NiMH replacement battery, i'll worry about getting a more powerful battery later, just gotta dump that leaky degrading Ni-cd.... ^_^

I fly RC helicopters and have been using Lithium Polymers cells for many years now. I think they would be a good choice in an applications like this. Personally I would recommend thunderpower cells, or the new Kokams. I think the whole project would be vastly simplified too, using this battery technology.

Those are great pics, static.

If you're considering running with a silencer, try this on for size:

Make up a dummy battery out of your favorite material (plastic, wood, epoxy) and the connector out of a couple strips of conductive material, wired out the front.

Pick a silencer diamater capable of holding 4x 2cell stick batteries (for 9.6v) or 3x 2cells and 1x 1 cell for 8.4v. I'm pretty sure a 2" diameter aluminum tube will hold mini cells in this config. It will for sure hold AA cells.

I'll try a mock up later on and post some pics.

Ive seen a video and read a bit on the lipols. I understand that it MAY melt and explode etc ( be a little nuclear reactor) IF you do something really bad to it. I mean you really have to put the + and the - together and let it be like that for minutes for it to explode. First it expands a lot ( like 2 times of its original size) and then it catches fire. There isnt an explosion with a bang. It just gets on fire - although the fire is pretty wild. You can use a RC heli for what - like 15mins? That means you gave to drain the WHOLE bat in 15-25mins. And you use it continously. Now lets take and airsoft AEG: you shoot it with bursts that may be a few secs long at best. I really dont see how you can overheat it and stuff like that. I personally believe you will *fruitcage* up your gearbox before your lipol gets any decent damage.

AFAIK, the whole reason that a lot of airsofters steer clear of Li-Po's is because Airsoft guns have, I think, a much higher current drain than a lot of RC stuff - I mean, a lot of RC cars draw way more current than any AEG ever could, but compared to helicopters, etc - it's a lto fo current.

As Li-Po's are mostly used in RC choppers & planes (to the best of my knowledge), a lot of them aren't designed for high-current aplications, which could mean that using one in an AEG risks it going all cherynobyl on your *albartroth*.

So here's a pic of a 4" x 2" dia tube with 4 stick batteries stuffed inside, all nestled around a 1/2" alum tube (to keep a clear shot for the bb)

Just an idea, if you don't mind a silencer, and need lots of mah.

20060225airsoft0036kh.jpg

20060225airsoft0075pc.jpg

I'll probably try to make a working model in the next couple weeks.

"Wild I have a question for you. In your experience with them in R/C whatnot have you ever had any other the problems that everyone seems to be afraid of? People act as if they were mini thermo-nuclear reactors."

As long as you use a proper LiPo charger you have little to worry about I feel. And as long as you don't do anything stupid like short them out. Just out of interest I did stab a single faulty cell with a steel pike to see what would happen. There was a pretty large fireball about 3-4 feet, I did this in a non combustible concrete floor of course. If you accidentally pierce the relatively soft membrane the best thing to do is soak the cells in some salty water over night and then bin the. As for Amp draw Im positive modem RC helicopter pull more amps than any airsoft gun. I should mention that the pack will only ignite if something mettalic has pierce several layers

.......I did stab a single faulty cell with a steel pike to see what would happen.  There was a pretty large fireball about 3-4 feet

........the pack will only ignite if something mettalic has pierce several layers

woah..... you want me to stick that in my gun and in my webbing?!!

What if i get hit by a Sniper using 0.3 Metallic BB's?!!!

:blink:

I think i'll stick to trusty NI-HM.... <_<

Edit: I had a second look at Lipo and i kinda change my mind, the potential for it is fantastic, and provided as you said, you take extreme care, it can be a great use for the MP7, i mean where can you get a 11.1 Volt, 2200mah with the dimension of 73mm*40mm*28mm?

http://www.heliguy.com/Extras/LiPo-Batteri...y-2200-mAh-10C/

Sure, the dimensions aren't the same as the current 2/3 AA Ni-MH, all it needs is change the shape, but that's still amazing. :blink:

Edit 2: oh this one might fit, its a tight one, i give ya.

Model: DSBXP10503 Lithium Polymer X-Power battery pack11.1V 1050mAh - High Discharge 10-12C

http://www.batterywholesaler.co.uk/lithium_battery.htm

68mm*34mm*15mm @ 11.1V/1050mAh

Dammn you Wildstallion for getting me all excited about batteries.... :rolleyes:

Heh, the only mtal BB's you can get are 0.88g - and they're industrial 6mm Ball Bearings, not designed for airsoft usage :D

And you need a minigun/something firing about 600fps to get any kind of range with it.

And if it's firing 600fps, then keep it the hell away form me! ^_^

The closest you'll get is something like a teflon coated round, but that's about it. No solid metal rounds.

woohoo! Lipo here I come!

:P

thrn again, the problem with lipo is that it kinda flat which means its hard to get a Li-po that's under 30mm in width, since from what i see arranged the majority of the time in a flat-sandwich configuration. This is troubling, and combine the fact that it's difficult to get a custom battery made to order (i searched but doesn't seem to any offering their service for Custom Li-Po )

So that's another disadvantage.. :(

But then again if your willing to pull apart your MP7 to rewire the connection and pull out some unecessary features that only apply to the TM original that'll be redundant from your mod, it might fit, but quick battery changes could be a problem... :mellow:

woohoo! Lipo here I come!

:P

thrn again, the problem with lipo is that it kinda flat which means its hard to get a Li-po that's under 30mm in width, since from what i see arranged the majority of the time in a flat-sandwich configuration. This is troubling, and combine the fact that it's difficult to get a custom battery made to order (i searched but doesn't seem to any offering their service for Custom Li-Po )

So that's another disadvantage..  :(

But then again if your willing to pull apart your MP7 to rewire the connection and pull out some unecessary features that only apply to the TM original that'll be redundant from your mod, it might fit, but quick battery changes could be a problem...  :mellow:

Or you could buy an marui battery, cut it up and use it's connectors...

I do think li-po is the way to go...

Or you could buy an marui battery, cut it up and use it's connectors...

I do think li-po is the way to go...

What you talking about? Micro fuel cell is t he way to go baaaaby!

ST_NECfuelcell_150x150.jpg

st_nec_inside_1.jpg

microfuelcell1.jpg

micro_fuel_cell_01.jpg

micro_fuel_cell_02.jpg

NECnanohornFCs.jpg

st_microfuel_inside.jpg

0546533664464177.JPG

All hail highly concentrated methanol guzzling AEGS!

^_^:lol:

Edit: even better! Micro Gas turbines! Running on any liquid/gasous fuel, one D-Battery size of petrol can supply 50 watts of power for 10hours, but it also provide a nice +1000'C jet of hot gas to keep your AEg and hands warm on those cold winter skirmishes! :lol:

79.gif

micro_turbine.jpg

Ok, i'll stop now.

*tears himself away from this new alternative electricity fix*

:nosleep:

But, wait... Fuel cells work by burning hydrogen and oxygen, don't they? THe product of that is pure water, which is broken down by electrolysis into more hydrogen and oxygen, which is burnt which gives....

And so on and so on.

So where does the methanol come into it? O.o

Archived