Yet another M4A1 clone...Improving the Gene Pool

arivee

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the 9.6V issue:

Batteries have two ratings; Capacity (mAh) and Voltage output (V).

The Voltage is how much power the battery can put out at any one time, where as the Capacity is the amount of running time the battery has.

They also have a discharge rate, shich is important too, as a low discharge rate won't be able to turn the gearbox over. Expensive batteries have better DRs, in general, apart from the "Intellect" brand, which are cheap and have DRs that rival some of Sanyo's best.

The Voltage is directly liked to the RoF of your gun. Higer Voltage = Higher RoF. It also means that with upgraded Gearboxes, the motor has more oomph availale to crank a higher-powered spring.

What I suspect has happened is that the batterie you were using were not of terribly good quality, and hence had a poor DR, hence leading to lockups and failures after so little rounds. Either that or you weren't charging them properly.

Hey guys!

Lets see - ever since I got my new batts I still havent been able to skirmish with it and that probably wont happen til April :headbutt:

But I have tried to see if the mag could empty more that its capacity - the short answer is it looks like its a 'no'. However it will definitely empty the mag with one winding. The only thing there is whenever I try to fire a full mag I forget to refill before the mag empties out. When I do refill it does not feed when I slap the mag back in.

@S.W.A.T - the only 'defect' I encountered with this rifle was when I tried to skirmish using the 8.4 mini batts. I ran out of battery power and spent quite some time waiting for a recharged one.

@Darklite - as I mentioned the batts I used were 8.4v 1100mAh from my UTG mp5 charged with the accompanying charger - I was doing well when I was firing in my basement. When I took it out on that chilly day I was charging half the time and using the batteries as hand warmers the other half :D

I think not a few factors figured in that disastrous day. Thats why I got the 9.6s and the superbrain. So far 5 empty mags no recharge/lockups/blown fuses. So to your comments Darklite - the batts may have been crappy, but the 9.6s are an absolute joy.

@Tommygun - patience :) I'll put that band aid on after the surgery ;)

@5thelement - yes it is a very reasonable gun - the build quality is there. However, as with anything new - due diligence will reap its own reward.

I couldnt emphasize more what allizard is pointing out.

You can use 8.4 - if you plan on plinking in the backyard.

Caveats to my statement: I live where the weather is cold and winter still has its icy grip on the environs - battery life will suffer. If anyone out there has this rifle and is in warmer climes AND use an 8.4v battery - please report in.

9.6v is the way to go with this rifle if you want to skirmish.

@Blink43va - I have the version 2, never had the version 1. From what I understand v1 was sold in limited number - I believe, wether intentionally or not - to test market the product.

Basic difference is the spring - v1 1.1j - v2 0.9j. On the same thread the manufacturer claims that the gears and mechbox are all reinforced on the v2. I would believe this, as not a few who bought the first batch from evike experienced stripped gears. I have run the rifle on 9.6v put at least 5 full mags and the guns is still going strong.

If you ask me how do I know if the gears or mechbox is reinforced - I cant even begin to tell you how. All I know is the gun is functioning well and *knock on wood* I havent had a hiccup. I have to take my UTG MP5 apart, and hopefully do the AIM M4A1 as well.

I love taking airsoft pr0n pictures so I will try and do a side by side just so you will see the difference in the internals. Which brings me to...

@Sniper Sam - FPS - shoots harder than the UTG MP5 and Im told even harder than a stock TM without mods. The furniture - for some odd reason ricing up an M16 variant is easier than an MP5 - so cost wise to 'update the look' of the M4A1 seems easier. Pricewise - it costs more than a UTG MP5, slightly more than the UTG Warhawk. For the FPS, upgradeability in terms of accessories, and not needing to upgrade the internals - I believe this to be a bargain.

Dont get me wrong - I am not knocking the UTG MP5 - it is my first gun (it is a v1) and I loved it when it was working. But when I hear the lonely whine of a motor without the load of a gearbox and not hearing the explosive pop of piston slamming out air - something tells me I have to move on.

Finally - is it the best 'budget' AEG out there? IN MY HUMBLE OPINION - yes it would be. BUT the operative word there is 'budget' AEG (which you have skilfully denoted in quotation marks as I have).

Budget could mean Cyma, Well or BE - real affordable LPEGs. I have seen not a few creative blokes ramp up their gun to shoot hotter than this forum can allow to discuss. This rifle shoots at a more than respectable FPS out of the box.

Budget could mean more affordable than a TM or the other name brands. It certainly is, but you do lose out on the trades and not being able to change the flash hider because the muzzle/front sight is a single unit.

What about barrel wobble/reliability/durability? Unfortunately only time will tell. My experience so far has been excellent.

I should have a few full metal M4's (based on the AIM) in stock sometime next week and will be sure to post up pics and a review as soon as I can.

The trades look decent as well!

metalbodyedit.jpg

229 USD

www.m4airsoft.com

I've also got some pics of the internals/reinforced mechbox on the AIM around here somewhere, I'll try and dig them up. The internals are GOOD, the mechbox shell looks just like a CA.

from what i've read this m4 looks to be a good budget airsoft gun.

i think i'll be getting one to fit a conversion kit to so if anyone wants to see what the internals look like i like stripping down gearboxs so i'll take a few pics.

I've been considering getting a cheaper AEG for close up, at the moment I use a 1joule solid stock m4 (ca m15), I'm tempted by this (looks a bit better than the UTG mp5), but only if it can take a tm spring, as I want my close up gun to do less than 300 FPS.

Anyone know if this can take a tm spring, or any other spring that will drop it's FPS to below 300 (idealy around 285)???

I've been considering getting a cheaper AEG for close up, at the moment I use a 1joule solid stock m4 (ca m15), I'm tempted by this (looks a bit better than the UTG mp5), but only if it can take a tm spring, as I want my close up gun to do less than 300 FPS.

Anyone know if this can take a tm spring, or any other spring that will drop it's FPS to below 300 (idealy around 285)???

This gun is interchangeable with all of tokyo-mauri parts. I would think that it could take a TM spring. I just got this gun yesterday.

Hey guys!

Double nunchucks work perfectly for this rifle. I'm not sure about the nomenclature but you can see the batts from one of my posts from the previous page.

@cplrolleston - if you see one of my last pics I put in a foregrip using rails on the handguard, so yes that is doable. I also attached a rail on top of the heatshield and I am thinking of what to put there - an anpeq would be too much - because the 9.6vs for me are fine. A flashlight/laser? Nah - I plan to sleep on my nice comfy bed - night ops aren't my thing...I'll probably think of something later... :D

The outerbarrel looks fine to me - I dunno why you'd want to swap that out - the attachment looks pretty stable to me and I don't think barrel wobble will be an issue. Please take that last statement as IMHO - I could be wrong.

Regarding the flashider, there lies the rub - the muzzle group along with the front sight is a unitary construct and has no threading. The manufacturer claims an exact 85% compatibility with TM products - so I guess this is the 15% that was not included. All is not lost though - if you're handy with PVC pipes then that may be one way to get a silencer on it. :rolleyes:

@5thElement - With the photos I have taken - I don't know what else I could do save for stripping down the gearbox - a step I'm willing to do - I'm just not ready yet. I want to skirmish with her before I commit the ultimate act of ravishing the gearbox.

If you mean to post pictures of the rifle being held by nekkid women - thats against forum rules :waggle::P:D

Regarding the metal bodies - thats interesting - I was looking at some. The G&P Navy Seals M4 body looks temptingly affordable ($100 + shipping). But, minor snags like how I'm going to pay for it, surface and has me suffering from fits of convulsion whenever I attempt to click on the 'checkout' button.

Ah the ever popular trade question - to have or not to have. I actually I have a honda sticker that will fit on the receiver which I will attach AFTER I have opened up the gearbox - I figure if I break it - at least I will be the only bloke that has an M4A1 made by Honda. :D:D:D

Archived