Yet another M4A1 clone...Improving the Gene Pool

arivee

You've asked this 2 times on this page alone.  You might want to search the forums, and see what you find.  Anytime you ask for "the best", you will always get opinions.  "The Best" thing you can do is do some research and make an educated choice.  I mean, I think the best thing to take a bath in is warm apple cinammon oatmeal, but someone who does some research might think that it's a bad idea, and make an educated decision to use soap and water instead. :)

Ok you are not helpful at all so why dont you just answer the question instead of causing people to be mad. :waggle:

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mgyz3 - I do not doubt the range that the box specified. I am a poor judge of distance - the most I can tell is I have shot at a target about length of a 48 foot container van away from me. The bb still kept going beyond that, and I believe tended to taper off at 70ft - the fact that there was some brambles and a few trees obscure my estimation. I'll try and get a more factual number, only the rifle is in a state of disassembly that preclude me from doing this any time soon - still waiting for my bearings and shims.

@alasz11 - I would like to dispell that myth high fps >< range. The physical properties of a BB preclude it from going any farther at increasing velocities. I know it to be the law of diminishing returns - you can ratchet up the fps but the range you get from additional FPS get lesser and lesser for each point increase in FPS. At a point in time (velocity/distance) the bb will experience external forces acted upon it that will cause it to lose distance (I've been trying to write this since Saturday - I was only able to finish it now - my poor dinosaur brain - *owwww*)

That being said - I believe other 'controllable' factors are at play here. I believe it is mainly the inner barrel bore (remember I had mine measured at 6.120mm diameter) that may contribute the shorter distance. I have a systema 6.04mm barrel on order and see if it makes a difference.

@m4ris_spec - Let me preface this by saying - you have every right to mod your rifle as you please. I like your argument for hopping up an AIM versus a G&G or CA. I've had a fair share of folks who have mentioned that G&Gs do require some adjustment/improvement out of the box.

What I will ask you to do is try and look back and ask yourself why you bought this rifle - I myself bought it for the same reason I bought my UTG - I was looking for an affordable alternative (I know I failed miserably on the UTG) - as well as a rifle I can upgrade little by little. Thinking of it as a lay away plan to my uber gun.

If however your reason for purchasing the rifle is to have an affordable platform to upgrade - the reason is as valid as any. Just make sure you do your homework well - its like choosing the right investment portfolio - you want to make sure you maximize your return.

Hi I am the rep of AIM Taiwan, just informed by one of our customer that he found out one Hong Kong man is selling fake AIM M4A1, cheaper but unreliable quality. The package box of fake is different from our AIM M4A1, but shown as AIM M4A1. Please be careful and not buy the fake one.

**This is the package of real AIM M4A1 -

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...ic=51110&hl=AIM

Hi Guys.. again, I had talked to gunner and they have revised the website that no more show this gun as " AIM" M4A1.. they didn't know what they sold was not made by AIM until yesterday, anyway thanks for gunner and please help to keep supporting gunner!

I will also mail to 51 and ask them to change the gun name on website. thanks. :beer:

@alasz11 - I would like to dispell that myth high fps >< range.  The physical properties of a BB preclude it from going any farther at increasing velocities.  I know it to be the law of diminishing returns - you can ratchet up the fps but the range you get from additional FPS get lesser and lesser for each point increase in FPS.  At a point in time (velocity/distance) the bb will experience external forces acted upon it that will cause it to lose distance (I've been trying to write this since Saturday - I was only able to finish it now - my poor dinosaur brain - *owwww*)

That being said - I believe other 'controllable' factors are at play here.  I believe it is mainly the inner barrel bore (remember I had mine measured at 6.120mm diameter) that may contribute the shorter distance.  I have a systema 6.04mm barrel on order and see if it makes a difference.

I'm not sure I completely understand, although I've been trying to figure this out for myself for a little bit now. Are you saying that as you get higher FPS, the range difference you're going to notice is less than at a lower level? For example, if you bumped a gun up from 200fps to 250fps you'd notice a larger difference in range than if you bumped it up from 350fps to 400fps? Even then though, a higher FPS would still equal greater range, just not a much greater range.

Also, as far as I can tell the only three controllable factors for range are FPS, BB quality, and hopup. I don't understand how a tightbore or longer barrel would improve anything but accuracy, although I know it does, somehow. Can someone explain that mystery to me as well please?

@alasz11 - to my understading yes, your first statement is what I am saying. The gain in range from upgrading a 200fps to a 250fps will be more noticeable than a 350fps to 400fps. Of course there is a world of difference betwen your stated starting FPS mind you.

A tightbore will help because there is less energy lost. There is lesser air traveling around/ahead of the BB due to lesser space between the BB and the barrel. The bigger bore allows 'faster' air to escape the side/around the heavier BB.

Tighter confines in essence improve the FPS (because there is more air available to the column of air pushing the BB) as well as possibly introducing lessening the turbulence around the BB providing a more stable flight path.

I believe this is the same reason we dont rifle our barrels (air will escape the rifling, since the BBs dont expand to catch the air in the rifling. The hop up is what introduces the spin on the bb.

*FULL DISCLOSURE* - I am no physcist nor a math/science professional by trade or training. I am trying to analyze all of this from what little physics I remember from high school - from a long time ago - in a galaxy far far away, and the knowledge/theories gathered from others.

I am sure a whole thread can be devoted to this topic - but I will refuse to expose my ignorance any further :D

i want to make this rifle very special ops and i think that a ris system, metal body( because mine broke), and some attachments(laser, light, and acog) would make it look spec ops.

Good for you,

And your posts in this thread have no relevance to anything? just useless spam. plus you have the cheek to -rep?

moron,

Arivee, I was told the barrel diameter of the m4 was 6.10 so i would agree that the first and maybe most important upgrade would be to put a tightbore in the aim m4.

Arivee,

I believe this is the same reason we dont rifle our barrels (air will escape the rifling, since the BBs dont expand to catch the air in the rifling. The hop up is what introduces the spin on the bb.

That is not how rifling works. On a real firearm bullets do not expand in the bore instead the rifling physicaly cuts into the jacket of the bullet to impart spin.

In airsoft rifling, in its intended real steel purpose, has no use.

However, there are the Tanio Koba rifled barrels which apparently allow a cushion of air around the bb. Supposadly this prevent the bb from coming into contact with the barrel. However, I cannot understand why they gave it a twist as that comes into conflict with the hop effect and they also say the rifling effect does not work beyond 328fps.

@alasz11 - to my understading yes, your first statement is what I am saying.  The gain in range from upgrading a 200fps to a 250fps will be more noticeable than a 350fps to 400fps.  Of course there is a world of difference betwen your stated starting FPS mind you.

A tightbore will help because there is less energy lost.  There is lesser air traveling around/ahead of the BB due to lesser space between the BB and the barrel.  The bigger bore allows 'faster' air to escape the side/around the heavier BB. 

Tighter confines in essence improve the FPS (because there is more air available to the column of air pushing the BB) as well as possibly introducing lessening the turbulence around the BB providing a more stable flight path.

I believe this is the same reason we dont rifle our barrels (air will escape the rifling, since the BBs dont expand to catch the air in the rifling.  The hop up is what introduces the spin on the bb.

*FULL DISCLOSURE* - I am no physcist nor a math/science professional by trade or training.  I am trying to analyze all of this from what little physics I remember from high school - from a long time ago - in a galaxy far far away, and the knowledge/theories gathered from others.

I am sure a whole thread can be devoted to this topic - but I will refuse to expose my ignorance any further :D

Ah yes, that makes sense now. Thanks

I took my gun apart now my hop up doesn't work. I opened it up again and when the dial is all the why up it doesn't make a dent in the the bucking. Any ideas?

I just bought a new hop up unit and rubber and the hop up still doesn't work. I am most likely installing it wrong. Can some one point me in the direction of guide to installing a hop up or maybe help explain how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

There's the big tube(hop rubber 8mm x 20mm) that goes over the barrel then there is the tiny tube (bucking), about 2.5mm x 3mm, that sits inside the hop unit horizontally and above the opening in the top of the barrel outside the hop rubber. It is the small tube I am refering to.

@Tommygun - forgot to thank you for that info on the delta ring, I'll try the rubber block first.

@Slacky - its 6.120mm to be exact

@mtakos - I just want to know - did you take the whole chamber apart too?

Finally - guys I mean no disrespect at all - but lets quit it with the flames, it wont do anybody good. Its a board and opinions are meant to be expressed at the same time we have to be responsible with the point system.

Peace and I will see you all on the other side!

AIM metal body as part is out but no one local here is selling them. They have plan to release the M4 /w the metal body later this year but NO offical date. They are busy working on Mp5 right now.

And btw, I think we need to move this discussion to somewhere else as Arnie is about to shutdown for a while.

I would suggest move the discussion to Airsoft Retreat or Airsoft Forum

Archived