Yet another M4A1 clone...Improving the Gene Pool

arivee

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post so far. Have a couple of questions. Do you recommend getting more mags than the mag that comes with it, if the hi-cap is junk? I hear alot about very junkie hi-caps with many new guns, and I was wondering if this is one of those mags. And with the ROF this gun has, would you recommend lo or mid-caps? I was crushed when the site went down because I couldnt get much info in it, save for one person at ASF. Thanks for your time.

YAAAAAYYY Arnies is back! *sloppy wet kisses the server*

@Ziggo99 - the hi cap on the AIM is in no way junk I can tell you that. I lent the mag to a squadmate who ran out of bbs. He was surprised the thing worked well because his G&G has been picky with mags - even TM ones.

I've had a friend use it on his TM (which is not picky of course) and it worked without a hitch.

I've long theorized that with a full wind up of the mag you can actually empty more than its capacity. I havent tested that theory yet - I dont want to go blind counting 300 bbs and then put in a refill - probably when I get a speed loader I'll do that.

I've measured ROF at 10 bb's per second. So a lo-cap (30 bbs) is gone in 3 seconds and a mid-cap (100) in 10 on full auto. Does it matter? Not really - you have to know your style of play.

So - to your question about needing more mags - are you a spray n pray or a mil-sim kind of player? Middle of the road? Get the mags - at the end of the day - if its not you using it - you could be in a position to help your squad in a pinch!

**MECHBOX UPDATE**

USPS left a yellow card on my door saying they couldnt leave my box of goodies at my doorstep. I could cry...I was home...they could have knocked! The term going postal give new meaning and relevance to this experience.

I'm going to be getting this gun soon so if I were to upgrade the spring only, would a M120 work or would it just ruin the gun? I found on Airsplat, the ICS and Systema M120 springs and it says no other upgrades are required. I don't know that much about upgrading yet, so what do you guys think I could do? :)

@scootypuff - get to know the rifle first. for some shooting at 320-330fps (stock AIM FPS) is fine and considering a stock TM shoots at 300fps.

Then again FPS isnt everything. Mad skillz, a good squad and a fun time had by all make the difference.

@alasz11 - tell you what - I just got my hurricanE tune up kit, I will go into the innards of my gun and compare the contents between the two. If there is any part worth replacing, I will. Maybe even changeup the spring. Then I will report on the mechbox and its innards and if it doesnt blow up on me :flamed: .

Just a note for scooty - the tune up kit is there because I want to experiment with the rifle - keep your stuff stock and you will know when upgrade will be necessary. Although if you really have to - try changing the inner barrel - I havent changed mine yet, but given the bore diameter I measured of the stock rifle - it would seem it would need it.

I have my lithium grease for the gear, I was told 'super lube with ptfe' on the piston 0-ring and piston travel channel. So I will search for the super lube and proceed with the operation by tomorrow.

*crosses fingers and pretty much everything that I can cross*

@scootypuff - Its got the right voltage - what I cant tell is the size. Looks like they got it in a double stick configuration.

Best thing to do is ask them what kind of cells they use - or better yet the size. If they are the KAN type cells (2/3A). They MIGHT fit - however you will DEFINITELY ENCOUNTER PROBLEMS with the battery holder fins that normally fits an odd double 7 cell (<A size) configuration. If you're willing to dremel those fins off then you MIGHT be able to fit that. You've been doing your homework - go that extra mile just to be safe.

If you're willing to wait, I know CBP should have the CBP1650AAs within the next two weeks (I'm waiting too to place an order). If you want to spend a little more extra - try the CBP2500A (9.6v, 8 cell dbl nunchuck - this is what I'll be ordering next) - its A size and its got more mAh. For an additional $5 (versus the CBP1650AA 9.6v) you get 50% more mAh. And if you can get a few buddies together - you can save a boat load on shipping.

@crazyaznman - I'll let you know when I get mine (I just ordered one from AA). But its not for the AIM (I have a systema for that).

@alasz11 - keep tinkering with your LPEG - get to know the basics, try to get it running again. I'm pretty sure when you get a better rifle to play with - you'll be more confident attacking the mechbox.

@slvrstang - You actually dont need to do any modding if you're using the double nunchucks configuration. They ride side saddle style on your foregrips rather than lying flat on the bottom grip. For me, the best way to go about it is to just open your top heatshield and drop in your batteries.

Not unless the store specified signature requested/required - UPS will leave your package at the door. Whether thats a good thing or a bad thing is another story.

I hope this helps 'stang - drop in a report of your experience with the AIM once you get to play with it!

I might be mistaken, but is there no way to attach any RIS rails to the heat shield of this? From what I've read the outer barrel is not interchangeable with the TM / ICS / CA stuff, so that's a real limitation on what you can do with it as far as accessories go right?

Well I got my AIM M4A1 today, and the power its putting ont is noticeably more powerful than my UTG MP5, as it can go through 2 laters of super thick shipping cardboard, and almost embed completely in the third layer, while the UTG MP5 goes through 2 and then bounces off the third. I ordered a Guarder bucking and a TM M4a1 stock barrel for the gun. The only problem..... its almost as if there's no hop-up at all. You can turn it up all the way, or turn it down all the way and it shoots the same, as if it didn't have any hopup. I'm slightly disappointed by this. My thought on the reason for this, The barrel is 6.12mm long, the hop-up pushes down so the little bump hits the top of the BB but it still doesn't put enough pressure down on it to compensate for the 6.12mm barrel. So therefore its really not putting much if any backspin on the BB when it passes under the hopup. Hopefully I can fix this with the new bucking and TM barrel. I'll keep you posted. Overall though I love the fit/finish of the gun. The feel of it is nice too, not cheap feeling like the UTG MP5, and the only problem with performance is the hop-up. Other then that, its not overly noisy and the gearbox doesn't whine really at all, so it sounds quite smooth to me.

@infected - I'm pretty sure you can add rails to the heatshield. Look at one of the pictures I posted, its what the vertical foregrip is attached to.

I have to admit that I havent changed out the outer barrel - no reason for me to do so. But as far as I know is yes they are interchangeable.

You might be referring to the front barrel set. Since its all plastic. Thats why one of these days, I will take down the front muzzle group and see if I can put in a regular front outer barrel.

@patsfan1453 - yes that is true - the front muzzle group, including the front sight (except for the front sight post - thats metal) - it is indeed plastic. Also, the flash hider is integrated to the muzzle group and cannot be removed.

@slvrstang - congratulations on your purchase. I noticed that too the first few bbs - you are correct to suppose it might be the diameter of the inner barrel - but try to go through a few more rounds/mags. The hop up is well lubricated so you may need to put a few rounds through to clear the hop up of lube.

I thought the same too - but I was testing it in my basement (40 feet distance from target max). But out in the open - I put the hop up to both extreme settings and it responds accordingly.

Archived