RAV and Armor...

Crispin1025

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agent 47, is going for the real RAV worth it?

Oikoik, a bulletproof vest covers more area, i.e. sides, shoulders, groin, neck, etc.  And they don't always have armor plate slots.  So placing a plate carrier over a vest is an option.

The real RAV is extremely well made compared to the reports of other knock-off RAVs I've been hearing (main thing I've heard is that people don't feel their pouches are secure enough), and is quite comfortable - if you're willing to shell out over $700 for it - the closest thing I can recommend is the upcoming Guarder Ranger Armor Vest - a near exact copy.

But yeah, I wouldn't advise putting an RAV over an Interceptor, but I guess if you got concealed armor on you, it wouldn't hurt too bad - just make sure you can still feel things.

This is quite possibly the most stupid question I have ever heard. :rolleyes:

If you want more coverage then dont get a RAV. Use an IBA or an Interceptor. I could see you putting a chest rig over body armor, but not another plate carrier ;)

And not all plate carriers have armor pockets? That is WRONG! They wouldnt be called plate carriers if they didnt have armor pockets :rolleyes:

the difference i think is if they are inherently rated themselves as 'soft body armour' [iirc the OTV was supposed to be rated upto multiple 9mm hits, as of new manufacture circa 2005].

the pockets would be for 'hard plates', level iiia, iv, etc

Diemaco, can you provide links? I am unfamiliar with those vests

Trigger Happy10, read the thread and don't insult.  We don't need to see your post count go up with insults.

Oikoik, soft armor can be put in RAV's.

I read the thread :rolleyes: I am not insulting, in my opnion that is quite possibly the dumbest question ever. Also, my post count means nothing to me, it just tells me that I spend WAY too much time online ;)

This is quite possibly the most stupid question I have ever heard. :rolleyes:

(And it happens to be my idea.)

If you want more coverage then dont get a RAV. Use an IBA or an Interceptor. I could see you putting a chest rig over body armor, but not another plate carrier ;)

(I needed an answer to my question, and I never refered to another plate carrier.)

And not all plate carriers have armor pockets? That is WRONG! They wouldnt be called plate carriers if they didnt have armor pockets :rolleyes:

(Not all vests have plate upgrade pouches, for example, lightweight concealed vest and duty grade armor)

Need more explanation?

Oh ok its all clear now. You are OBVIOUSLY being put in harms way and you need ballistic protection. Most likely Multi-hit SAPI plates right? Also you might want to throw some soft armor into the mix, it stops fragmentation very well. Along with that, get torso plates, and leg plates. Shoulder plates are also very nice and come in Multi-hit SAPI flavor, if you are really in a high thret situation go for some arm plates, and a MICH helmet should always be worn. I take it that you have groin protection along with neck protection, so I dont need to touch on that matter. :rolleyes:

Seriously, unless you are having real rounds shot at you, then does it really matter?

Errr...

Isn't the whole point of a system like the RAV that is gives you the protection of an IBA, plus a little extra, plus more PALS real-estate, in a more comfortable package?

Thus wearing one over the other totally negates any bonuses and probably makes it worse.

Both the IBA and RAV take both soft armour and hard plates, so...why? If one has greater coverage than the other, why not JUST wear that?

LMFAO!

Mate, you clearly don't know your *albartroth* from your elbow when it comes to these things. This IS the dumbest question I've ever heard. Please refrain from lecturing members such as TH10 and oik whom have a vastly superior knowledge when it comes to gear. You want to wear BA over a RAV? You'd find yourself less restricted in a straight-jacket.

LMFAO!

Mate, you clearly don't know your *albartroth* from your elbow when it comes to these things. This IS the dumbest question I've ever heard. Please refrain from lecturing memberd such as TH10 and oik whom have a vastly superior knowledge when it comes to gear. You want to wear BA over a RAV? You'd find yourself less restricted in a straight-jacket.

:rofl:

I think he is worried about getting hit by the dreaded 8mm round! :o

Diemaco, can you provide links? I am unfamiliar with those vests

Trigger Happy10, read the thread and don't insult.  We don't need to see your post count go up with insults.

Oikoik, soft armor can be put in RAV's.

HAHA!!! A word of advice, if TH10, OIK, BadAssTronaut, and HaVoC all disagree with you, you are wrong... These ARE the people to ask. And the whole concept of wearing 2 balistics vests is just retarded. You asked a stupid question; they made fun of you for it. Don't let it get to you or it's gonna be a long day for everybody.

and TH10, I love the crandall story. :rofl:

and TH10, I love the crandall story. :rofl:

Well Crandall, *OPSEC*, and I had a very long talk last night about ballistic protection. We might be deployed into an area where the Opfor are using 8mm rounds. We decided that 3 helmets, armor sets, and goggle sets should work, if not shot at close range ;)

So we just placed a 100k DBT order ;)

A small idea, hopefully well away from the discussion of ballistics on flesh, but...

Wouldn't wearing 2 vests possibly make the impact of a round WORSE? I know this applies in some cases ("Never wear 2 at once kids, else the fiction of one will burst the other") but might it not be that the impact into the outer plate/armour would somehow damage the inner layer and make injury more likely?

A round stopped by a plate will bruise you severly at best, and with an extra few kilograms of hard plate slamming into you...

...just a thought.

A small idea, hopefully well away from the discussion of ballistics on flesh, but...

Wouldn't wearing 2 vests possibly make the impact of a round WORSE? I know this applies in some cases ("Never wear 2 at once kids, else the fiction of one will burst the other") but might it not be that the impact into the outer plate/armour would somehow damage the inner layer and make injury more likely?

A round stopped by a plate will bruise you severly at best, and with an extra few kilograms of hard plate slamming into you...

...just a thought.

Theres a thread on the LF boards about this. But IIRC wearing more than one plate over another has no adverse affects, nor does it do any good ;)

Archived