RAV and Armor...

Crispin1025

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Crandall, *OPSEC*, and I had a very long talk last night about ballistic protection. We might be deployed into an area where the Opfor are using 8mm rounds. We decided that 3 helmets, armor sets, and goggle sets should work, if not shot at close range ;)

So we just placed a 100k DBT order ;)

LOL! That won't save you from an 8mm round. You need a Paraclete force field at the very least. I think Crandall's escape was an act of God. The Almighty saved him so he wouldn't have to create another monstrosity to punish all the bad people in the world.

LOL! That won't save you from an 8mm round. You need a Paraclete force field at the very least. I think Crandall's escape was an act of God. The Almighty saved him so he wouldn't have to create another monstrosity to punish all the bad people in the world.

I think we might have taked one of those on also... well I am not taking chances, there goes another 100k of government funds

:lol:

Oh ok its all clear now. You are OBVIOUSLY being put in harms way and you need ballistic protection. Most likely Multi-hit SAPI plates right? Also you might want to throw some soft armor into the mix, it stops fragmentation very well. Along with that, get torso plates, and leg plates. Shoulder plates are also very nice and come in Multi-hit SAPI flavor, if you are really in a high thret situation go for some arm plates, and a MICH helmet should always be worn. I take it that you have groin protection along with neck protection, so I dont need to touch on that matter. :rolleyes:

Seriously, unless you are having real rounds shot at you, then does it really matter?

Yeah! Someone got the idea (you wished).

Ok, I am going to try once more. Here is what I am thinking about doing.

I play on a team that really likes milsim and we have some rather intricate rules regarding armor. Sometimes we play pistol games, and a light vest is all that I need. At other times, I gear up with my M249 and a gazillion rounds of ammo and need the extra protection from plates for rifles, which are not in my pistol-round vest (hard plate pouches, that is). However, I still want the extra protection provided by the lightweight vest around my sides, shoulders, and neck. While no, I will still die if I am hit by burst rifle fire in the pistol vest, often times I am hit by pistols/smg's there. No, this is NOT using two plates and NO I am not putting the armor over the plate carrier. I am using a lightweight bulletproof vest UNDER the RAV vest. If there are any further question about what I am trying to do please PM me before posting so we can avoid further confusion.

Thanks,

Crispin1025

I AM NOT USING TWO PLATE CARRIERS! I need a plate carrier, and molle webbing. My pistol vest doesn't have those capabilities. RAV+pistol vest=the protection and capabilities I need. I know what real operators wear, I have been around them all of my life, so don't go lecturing me there. This is an airsoft related question.

And don't go telling me who should be on arnie's or not, your the dumb one who can't figure out the question in the first place.

I AM NOT USING TWO PLATE CARRIERS!  I need a plate carrier, and molle webbing.  My pistol vest doesn't have those capabilities.  RAV+pistol vest=the protection and capabilities I need.  I know what real operators wear, I have been around them all of my life, so don't go lecturing me there.  This is an airsoft related question.

And don't go telling me who should be on arnie's or not, your the dumb one who can't figure out the question in the first place.

Either F*cking way it is going to be uncomfortable. Now I suggest that you get your head out of your *albatross* and listen to some common sense. Also you DONT NEED PROTECTION! You make it sound like you are getting real bullets shot at you, you f*cking arent!

Now go back to your L33t milsim and watch out for those horrible AP 6mm, and mabye even 8mm rounds. ;)

Yeah! Someone got the idea (you wished).

Ok, I am going to try once more.  Here is what I am thinking about doing.

I play on a team that really likes milsim and we have some rather intricate rules regarding armor.  Sometimes we play pistol games, and a light vest is all that I need.  At other times, I gear up with my M249 and a gazillion rounds of ammo and need the extra protection from plates for rifles, which are not in my pistol-round vest (hard plate pouches, that is). However, I still want the extra protection provided by the lightweight vest around my sides, shoulders, and neck.  While no, I will still die if I am hit by burst rifle fire in the pistol vest, often times I am hit by pistols/smg's there.  No, this is NOT using two plates and NO I am not putting the armor over the plate carrier.  I am using a lightweight bulletproof vest UNDER the RAV vest.  If there are any further question about what I am trying to do please PM me before posting so we can avoid further confusion.

Thanks,

Crispin1025

The main point here is that we're wondering if you can feel under all of that gear - I did a similar topic on this before, but I used an Eagle traditional vest TAC-V10 (traditional Blackhawk style tactical vest with a large shoulder pad) and an Interceptor. The TAC-V10 was not as bulky as the RAV but did feel a little loose, so I used the Interceptor to tighten the fit a little bit, and to offer protection for areas the vest did not cover. I could still feel my hits, though.

My solution: scrap your current load-bearing gear (including your lightweight bulletproof vest), and do this :

Buy a Flecktarn Flak Vest - I have one and it gives excellent coverage for neck, shoulders, and sides (I'm 5'9", don't know how it will work for you), and spray paint it OD as flecktarn is fugly (just kidding Phoenix). If somehow the flak vest doesn't give coverage, go buy two Blackhawk STRIKE Rapid Mobile Plate Carriers - they're basically armor plates in carriers attached to a sling (kinda like a bookbag) - these STRIKE Plate carriers cost $50 each, but do great in protecting your sides. Then, go buy a chest rig to hold the M249 box magazines. Do keep in mind that your mobility may be slightly restricted with the plate carriers on you.

Hope this helps.

I AM NOT USING TWO PLATE CARRIERS!  I need a plate carrier, and molle webbing.  My pistol vest doesn't have those capabilities.  RAV+pistol vest=the protection and capabilities I need.  I know what real operators wear, I have been around them all of my life, so don't go lecturing me there.  This is an airsoft related question.

Pistol vest = plate carrier

RAV = plate carrier

How exactly are you not talking about wearing 2 plate carriers?

Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly. Feel free to clarify.

When I can pick up 6-8 extra shots (and the fact that we tend to play in freezing weather) you can count on the fact that I will be wearing armor.

oh no! 6-8 extra rounds? Are you fragile or something? I think TH10 was right. Laser Tag might be just the right sport for you.

All mocking aside, your best bet would probably be the pistol vest, and over that a load-bearing vest. Not a plate carrier. That will give you the armor, whilst not being to difficult to move in.

("Never wear 2 at once kids, else the fiction of one will burst the other")

It's kind of like wearing two condoms.  It sounds good in theory, but nothing good ever cums from it. :rofl:

Already beat ya to that joke, dude :P

RAV+pistol vest=the protection and capabilities I need.  I know what real operators wear, I have been around them all of my life, so don't go lecturing me there.  This is an airsoft related question.

Since you clearly know exactly what you want, and won't take anyone else's word as true, you obviously know everything there is to know about everything anyway, and your views are right, damn it.

Therefore, why are you even asking?

Pistol vest = plate carrier

RAV = plate carrier

How exactly are you not talking about wearing 2 plate carriers?

Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.  Feel free to clarify.

oh no! 6-8 extra rounds?  Are you fragile or something?  I think TH10 was right.  Laser Tag might be just the right sport for you.

I've gotta say, he's right, you know.

Has anyone tried putting Proud RAV armor over a bulletproof vest?

your the dumb one who can't figure out the question in the first place.

That's your original question, right there. It's pretty simple to me.

RAV - Releasable Assault Vest, armour carrier that takes both hard plates and soft inserts covered in PALS real-estate.

'Bulletproof vest' - Err, bulletproof vest. The only true bulletproof vest is one with Level IIIA or IV plates in it.

Therefore, you're clearly saying you want to wear an RAV containing plates and/or soft armour (you didn't see fit to specify this) over another vest containing plates. Both vests are considered to be 'plate carriers' in one form or another.

What the hell is there NOT to understand?

Hard armor people.

Sorry, has something missed me by a mile here or are you now CONFIRMING that you only want hard armour carriers?

Thus, all the advice before about wearing hard plates over hard plates is valid, even after you just ragged on everyone for posting it because it's "Not what you wanted"?

When I say a plate carrier, I mean a HARD plate carrier. A HARD plate carrier over a soft insert vest.

Agent 47, are the Blackhawk STRIKE Rapid Mobile Plate Carriers designed to be used as side protection and how bulky is wearing four hard plates (two in the vest and two in the side carriers)?

That is 6-8 body hits before I am out.  When I say plate carrier I am talking about hard armor, not a soft vest.

T_H, How is shipping from Australia?

I am done flaming so I am going to tell you.

IMHO for what you get, it is very worth the shipping. It should be 20 USD at max. If you order just the vest that it. I suggest you find someone who wants some gear from there, and joint order from there. You both will save on shipping ;)

I think I actually have a rough idea of what you want, even if it is, in my opinion, really stupid.

Best bet is to buy something like the RAV with soft inserts. When you need more protection, just slip hard plates in - it only takes a minute maximum.

From what little I've been able to decipher through all these double-negatives and switchbacks, you want soft armour all over at some times, and hard plates front and back and soft armour at the sides other times.

RAV would do all of that depending on if you had the front/back hard plates fitted.

I think I actually have a rough idea of what you want, even if it is, in my opinion, really stupid.

Best bet is to buy something like the RAV with soft inserts. When you need more protection, just slip hard plates in - it only takes a minute maximum.

From what little I've been able to decipher through all these double-negatives and switchbacks, you want soft armour all over at some times, and hard plates front and back and soft armour at the sides other times.

RAV would do all of that depending on if you had the front/back hard plates fitted.

YES! You got the idea. Soft armor all the time, hard plates when necessary! Does the RAV vest (replicas, I guess) able to take soft armor that covers the sides? DO you own one? And thanks guys for stopping the flaming.

YES! You got the idea.  Soft armor all the time, hard plates when necessary!  Does the RAV vest (replicas, I guess) able to take soft armor that covers the sides?  DO you own one?  And thanks guys for stopping the flaming.

They dont sell "wrap around plates" if that is what you mean. They only sell real ones, so you would have to make them out of something. I am not sure the RAV has the side armor pockets though :unsure:

Archived