Which CIRAS to get?

rasheem

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they are, then things have changed a shitload since I got out in '98. I can't comprehend of a Company Gunny or 1st Sergeant turning a blind eye to baseball hats on ship. Maybe out in the field, but not on ship.

I've also seen the same picture around many other places with the labels of them being MEU operators...

Though now you mention it, I haven't seen any MEUs without a helmet even when on the range...

So how is the build quality on them then? like the seems and stuff? care to write up a little review?

Co's looking at the various chestrigs out there, i'd say i like the looks of the bulle one better the say the TT one, plus it already had the bib and better shoulderstraps it seems

The build quality is fantastic, the seems are really nice and strong also. There is only one downside really.... well two, they heat up really quickly when running about (most chestrigs of this type probably do any way i couldnt say) and the other thing is that its not an actual replica of any vest just a mix of two different ones (a CIRAS and a RAV). But to be honest it works and its comfortable enough to wear all day long with out fealing weighed down its very well balanced, but there are two bits of material that stick out on the sides of the chestrig near the sholder area that get in the way some times but thats it. I keep meaning to do a review but ive only worn it for one skirmish so far, so it wouldnt be fair to review it yet. Watch this space in about a months time lol

Dickens

TAG Plate Carrier

This looks like a good alternative that is made for Real Operators

They also have a good looking Releasable vest as well, Looks like a direct copy of the CIRAS cost's about the same as well. That is why the Plate Carrier is such a nice alternative -- much more cost effective.

iBAWLS

I believe that is a picture of a Marine FAST Unit. FAST units get the latest and greatest gears of all Marines. And as far as the eotech is concerned, perhaps as a unit they decided to buy it for themselves.

I'm telling you, as someone who's done it, Marines don't wear unit patches on their arms, and they don't wear baseball caps. It doesn't matter what unit you're a part of. Even if they did somehow get the OK to wear baseball caps, they'd all be wearing them, or none of them would. Frankly I still can't imagine any Marine unit doing weapons training off a range without helmets on. The USMC is INCREDIBLY uptight about uniform and military appearance, even in the field, even in combat units.

Those are sailors. And since they're sailors with guns and high-speed gear, I'd have to guess that they're SEALs, but I don't know what they are for sure. I do know they're not Marines unless a whole hell of a lot has changed since I got out eight years ago.

I'm telling you, as someone who's done it, Marines don't wear unit patches on their arms, and they don't wear baseball caps. It doesn't matter what unit you're a part of. Even if they did somehow get the OK to wear baseball caps, they'd all be wearing them, or none of them would. Frankly I still can't imagine any Marine unit doing weapons training off a range without helmets on. The USMC is INCREDIBLY uptight about uniform and military appearance, even in the field, even in combat units.

Those are sailors. And since they're sailors with guns and high-speed gear, I'd have to guess that they're SEALs, but I don't know what they are for sure. I do know they're not Marines unless a whole hell of a lot has changed since I got out eight years ago.

You're right about the patches, caps and appearance found that out this evening. I've also seen the pictures above labeled as Marines on the net too. So either it's a mislabel or misinformation.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived