KJW Full Metal P226 w trademarks Review

First of all, this is my first review, so it may not be perfect, but I'll try my best. And sorry for the not-so-perfect pictures, the metal is not really that shiny. Now here we go...

left.JPG

Intro

P226 has always been my favorite gun (along with the M9). I previously owned a TM P226. Although it performed flawlessly, I always wanted a full metal version of the gun. Of course, like many players, I didn't want to spend an extra hundred dollars on the full metal kits, and I didn't have the expertise on modding the parts to make everything fit. To answer my prayer, Kuan Ju Works finally came out with their full metal sig series. Since I like their FMV M9 series, I didn't hesitate to try out their new gun.

Two weeks ago, I ordered my first KJW FMV P226 from WGC along with two mags for about $180 express-ly shipped. I thought I was satisfied until the trademark version started appearing at Redwolf. And so, against my best judgment, I shelled out more money and ordered the FMV w trademarks. It only took RW 2 days to process and 2 days to Fedex the gun. 2 Sigs in 2 weeks, how crazy is that? :blink:

For this review, I mainly going to talk about the KJ trademarked sig, but I will also shed some info about the first KJ sig i got, along with compatibility with the TM one.

The Gun

The box contains the gun itself with the orange paint in the front, instruction book, small bag of BBs and a couple paper targets. To my suprise, Redwolf didn't even both covering up the trades, and it made through the customs.

package.JPG

Everything

The manual is in Chinese only (luckily I can still read it), but the pictures are pretty self explanatory.

manual.JPG

Chinese manual

It gun is quite hefty. RW claimed it to weigh >1100g, that's 400g more than the TM sig. It feels on par with the HFC metal M190. Unlike TM, even with the mag out, the pistol feels still heavy and solid. When the gun is shaken, the mag rattles slighty. With out it, no rattling was heard. TM rattled too, but not from the mag. The majority of the gun is metal, excluding the grip, which is supposed to be plastic.

right.JPG

The right side, with the slide back

THE TRADEMARKS

Here's the part alot of people cares about: trademarks. There's been discussion in the forum on whether the trades are laser engraved or not. Unfortunately, they don't feel as smooth as the laser engraved trades. Nevertheless, they are still very visible. And being a frugal trademark ######, I can't complain because of the price.

On the left, the side has the trades:

"SIG SAUER P226 STAINLESS, (an anchor symbol)

SIGARMS INC.

EXETER-NH-USA"

On the right, the lower frame has:

"SIGARMS INC. EXETER NH-

FRAME MADE IN GERMANY"

The left grip says "P226", and the right one says "KJ WORK". I've already replaced it with the TM one that says "SIG SAUER". Unlike TM, no non-sense trades are present, such as "ASUKS", "made in japan", etc.

FUNCTIONALITY

Like TM, the KJ Sig has a working decocker, an adjustable hopup, and the push in safety that doesn't exist on the real steel. It field strips like the TM gun too.

strip.JPG

breakdown

decocker.JPG

decocker

The hopup has a dial. As you turn it CCW, the hopup rubber gets pushed down more, thus making the BB fly up more. The KJ hopup rubber doesn't get pushed down as far the the TM one. Even with the hopup at max, .2g BB would only fly straight, not up, like TM's over-hopping.

hop.JPG

hopup

The magazine is loaded the same way as TM. You pull the spring all the way down and feed the bbs through the square opening while holding the mag upside down. It holds 25+1. It's true that TM mags would not fit into KJW Sig, because KJ mags are slightly skinner. But the greedy KJ marketers made sure that KJ mags can fit into TM guns, so every sig user has to buy the KJW brand.

I also swapped some parts between the two brands. So far, the slide, outter/inner barrel, recoil/hammer springs, and TM-based accessories(I have a upgraded hammer and recoil spring, G&G taclight and VFC silencer/barrel set) are compatible. I didn't take everything apart and compare them piece by piece.

PERFORMANCE

With Green Gas, the metal slide moves back and forth with force and a nice metalic "Cling" sound. I think HFC M190's got its match. I didn't have a chronometer, so I can't really tell the exact FPS of the gun. I tested the new gun outdoor today, with ambient temp of approx 60F. With Green Gas and 0.2gBBs, the gun shot over 100ft with straight tragectory before dropping. It was kinda windy, so the BB curved a little. At 25ft, all the shots hit within the paper target (approx 10cm in diameter). I didn't bother with precision shooting since the gun's accurate enough for the engagement distance. Hell, I can't even bit a bullseye with a real gun at 25 ft. I could pull off an entire mag on one fill of gas(moderate ROF, no speed shooting), the slide would still lock back. Altho I only shot 4 more on the second mag before the gas ran out. So the gun is gas hog. But I think the gun will perform more efficiently during the summer.

BTW, WGC site claims "Decock lever may cause gas discharge and shoot if the gun is chambered". So far, it hasn't happened in either of my KJs.

One thing I would like to stress is that don't use gas more powerful than Green Gas. The manual warned not to use gas with pressure >12kg/cm^2 (about 170 psi). When I got my first KJW Sig, I got greedy and put in the upgd recoil and hammer spring, and I was shooting with Red Gas (ET-1600). I figured it works in the KJ M9 series, it should be fine in the Sig. Wrong! After about 3 mags of shooting, the slide started getting stuck after every blow back, with a BB jammed in the chamber. I later found out that the BB-feeding nub on the muzzle broke off. So I ordered the Guarder Enhanced Muzzle, and will put that to the when it comes in. So for now, I've been using Green Gas in my second sig and it sufficed my need...until the upgrade. :flamed:

muzzle.jpg

the feeding piece that might break. I didn't have a pic of the broken one.

CONCLUSION

I've always like KJW's metal guns. I know their QC isn't the best, but for the price, I think it's worth the risk. The KJW P226 is, so far, the best TM copy yet. It's built solid and shoots with power. And with or without the trademark, I think alot of frugal sig lovers would prob consider KJ first. But then again, only time will tell the durability of the new gun, and I hope the Sig series would be the new favorite of the KJW line up.

with%20m9.JPG

comparing with the KJW FMV M9

DSCN1457.JPG

The first KJ sig and its TM brother

I hope you liked my review. I'll be sure to post updates when new stuff happens.

Edited by [VT]Mofo2000
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Internally, I switched the inner barrel, and the recoil spring. I will install the new Guarder Muzzle when it arrives, if it works then the muzzle will be interchangable too. The hopups apprear to be the same. As for all the moving parts like trigger, decocker, and all the tiny springs, you might have to check w someone that can take apart the gun and put them back. hmm, what else is there?

Soloman, what would you like to know about the mags?

Thats ok, the pictures are good enough to know what it is! I want to give you a +1 for all the help but I can't seem to figure out how -_-

You can give points once you have at least 50 posts...

The guns are "shiny" on pictures due to the strong flash light being reflected from them. Additionaly flash brings up all tiny specks on the object that you don't normally see, making it look worse than in reality. Ambient light doesn't give such an affect. Digital cameras also show slightly different colours.