Found on Graiglist : the best of

why does this ###### me off so much? GET IT RIGHT...

Reply to: anon-111508160@craigslist.org

Date: Tue Nov 15 15:20:08 2005

Because it's pathetic!!

Lose - the opposite of win, to misplace something, ONE O.

Loose - the opposite of tight, your mother/wife/sister, TWO O's. How can so many people get these two confused? IDIOTS.

Your - a possessive, similar to mine, his, her as in "your loose slut of a sister loses her mind every time she gets railroaded by your whole inbred, shitbag excuse of a family", NO APOSTROPHE.

You're - a contraction of "you are", as in "you're a ######", AN APOSTROPHE.

Its - another possessive, similar to your, NO APOSTROPHE.

It's - a contraction of "it is", as in 'it's *fruitcage* simple', AN APOSTROPHE.

Need a trick? Fine - when using it's or you're, expand the contraction. If "you're head is full of *beep*" becomes "you are head is full of *beep*" and doesn't make any sense (maybe it will to you because you're a *fruitcage* idiot), then you are using the wrong word.

To - a preposition, as in "turn to the right" or "it's time to go back to school", ONE O.

Too - an adverb (know what that is?), synonymous with "also", "as well" as in "Really? I went to college too. I actually read a *fruitcage* BOOK." It can also be used to mean "to a regrettable degree" as in "It's too late for you, moron", TWO O's.

Two - a number, it comes after one.

There - an adverb, similar to here as in "your tiny bus is over there".

their - yet another possessive, similar to your as in "it's not their fault that you're a *fruitcage* retard. It's YOUR fault."

They're - a contraction of "they are" as in "they're not responsible for your complete ignorance of YOUR OWN *fruitcage* LANGUAGE. READ A BOOK!!"

IT'S NOT HARD

By the way, grammar is spelled with TWO *fruitcage* A's. So next time you want to flame someone for bad "grammer", at least spell it right.

Slight edits for swearing and (can you credit it?) grammer...

.. I mean grammar! ;)

Basho

I think there are three types of people here.

There are those that just don't give a twat about how they type, compose sentences, or thier spelling.

There are those that make a point of trying to be gramatically as perfect as possible.

There are those that just type in thier post quite quickly and try to make a "reasonable effort" that the post is legible.

The first irritates myself and most others. The second is applaudable, but this is an airsoft discussion site and not an english lesson.

I think I'm in the third, which is the best compromise.

Feel free to pick my post to death........... ;)

As somebody who spends all my life teaching this very subject, I have to say I don't really care too much how people write. I would however prefer it if people at least attempted some basic use of punctuation to ensure coherency.

As the old adages goes, though, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I'd advise any tempted to start judging others to not do so, lest they find themselves inevitably falling foul of the very prejudices they impose. :)

Lest they find themselves inevitably falling foul of the very prejudices they impose. :)

Good to see words like "lest" used more!

Whilst (my personal fav’) I don't profess to being anywhere near perfect at grammar, and thereby I am not a "stickler" for correctness, I would say I do enjoy reading well paced verse in some semi-eldritch-quasi-perverse manner.

I write a lot. An awful lot, so it is natural to me to try and compose my text in my own voice, whether that is correct or not. If you write for business as well as pleasure then your voice will eventually find its balance through the keyboard and you should naturally come to appreciate the well written sentence. If you only write in forums then I guess, just as naturally, you will come to sound like a punk-*badgeress*.

I posted the above article, party because it made me laugh, but also because I didn’t write it and so, in a way, I am not casting the first stone around here (since that would be as likely to succeeded as throwing rice pudding into a black hole to block it up).

For a very funny (and correct) read on the subject see the book "Eats, Shoots & Leaves".

Edited by Basho

Hehe, I haven't read the Lynne Truss book yet. I'm assured it's quite good, but I spend all my time teaching the rules and as a result don't really feel like coming home to read more on it.

Like you I also write a great deal writing (my job is just a means of allowing me to write novels and afford a roof over my head), so I can appreciate where you're coming from. However as you say some users' experiences of writing is extremely limited in comparison to yours and mine, and so it is only natural that, in the same way my lack of experience in martial arts compared to yours would lead me to be useless in a fight, some will have poorer grasps on spelling and grammar rules than others.

As long as everyone bears that in mind, I have no concern. It would be great if everyone could take the time to at least employ some basic punctuation (out of courtesy to others here, to enable them to understand their posts in the same way pauses in a speech enables the brain to process the information), but I'm hardly going to start criticising people for failing to observe subject / verb agreements or for confusing their homophones.

In the end, as with most things in life, it comes down to the need to attempt some mild balance between coherency and perfection to the point where it starts to ostracise users. The main attraction when I chose to make this community my main home was its open and friendly nature and its general inclination to not take itself too seriously. If we can all be thoughtful enough to ensure our messages are readable by others, while ensuring we do not attempt to impose too draconian a level of expectation when it comes to spelling and grammar, then we shuould be able to ensure that this aspect of the community is maintained. :)

In my opinion, spelling correctly and using correct grammer is very important, because over the intar-web, it is very easy for someone to misunderstand what people are saying. Thus if they don't have to also spend five minutes translating the post, the meaning will be clearer.

And on the point of the three types of user, I am a type three, but I also really like to try and do things right.

*edited for, OMG, bad spelling, cheers Marlowe*

Edited by Thechom
In my opinion, spelling correctly and using correct grammer is very important, because over the intar-web, it is very easy for someone to misunderstand what people are saying.

Just to give you fair warning before someone mocks you, you spelt grammar wrong. That's the problem with voicing support for the importance of spelling and grammar - people are very quick to highlight your shortcomings. :)

That's the problem with voicing support for the importance of spelling and grammar - people are very quick to highlight your shortcomings. :)

Yes indeedy :P

Like you I also write a great deal writing, so I can appreciate where you're coming from.

You write a great deal writeing? Is that a bit like to drink a great deal drinking?

Yes indeedy :P

You write a great deal writeing? Is that a bit like to drink a great deal drinking?

I write a great deal of writing, yes.

Honestly Caz, no matter how many times I tell you about dropping the end vowel sound if you're adding the suffix -ing, you never listen, do you? ;)

I consider myself to be a bit of a grammar Nazi, although rather hypocritically I'll be the first to admit that my grammar can be less than perfect at times.

I find myself boiling up with a terrible and uncontrollable rage whenever I see an apostrophe where there shouldn't be one, or vice versa.

well i have to admit i very rarely use capital letters, and a lot of times i have to edit my post because its full of spelling mistakes - but at least i actually go back and fix them.

99% of my mistakes are just right letterin the worng place type ones.

a level of writing that readable is all i ask for. i dont expect to see the queens english on a forum, and i dont think people should do.

Hehe, I haven't read the Lynne Truss book yet. I'm assured it's quite good, but I spend all my time teaching the rules and as a result don't really feel like coming home to read more on it.

That is how I felt! Then I picked it up with a mind that it may help me with my novel. Wow, what a funny book. The author has a fantastic talent to make something so mundane appear hilarious.

It would be great if everyone could take the time to at least employ some basic punctuation

We are of the same mind. I am sure that my high school teacher would find it very amusing that I would claim grammatical correctness, so I won’t even try. My most common errors are leaving the "r" out of your, mixing my voice by screwing around with the commas and most of all not being able to spell "their".

SO... advice to the more modern txt generations, please use MS Word to check your posts (it has a much better spell checker) and if you are posting something long: PRINT IT FIRST!

Just advice.

my lack of experience in martial arts compared to yours would lead me to be useless in a fight, some will have poorer grasps on spelling and grammar rules than others.

I find great pleasure in attempting things even if I fail. It took me 14 years to become a black belt (a long time) and I think it will be another 14 years before I master fencing. However, I love being back at the bottom of the class struggling to progress because each step forwards is a real improvement. Thus it is with grammar, use it a little, don’t take it seriously and you will naturally progress. It is inevitable.