Completely Dismantle FA-MAS

Carson

With the success of my first review on how to open up the FA-MAS gearbox, I have decided to go all the way and write a step by step guide on hoe to completely (well almost) dismantle the entire FA-MAS whether its to upgrade the barrel, or change the hop up, etc.

So without further ado, here it is:

As with just about anything, tools are going to be needed, although you don’t need the amount shown in the picture, you do need a small assortment of Philips screwdrivers (the ‘+’ headed ones), and a very small alan key….and that’s about it. Oh, you may need a small flat screwdriver to prise things apart and a pair of pliers.

017xt.jpg

Now that you have all the tools, lets get started.

Here is the victim all ready to be completely disassembled.

020yg1.jpg

Start by removing the screw on the butt late of the Fa-mas. This will allow access to the back of the gearbox and to take the next piece off.

29lg.jpg

31zt.jpg

Now remove the screws on both sides of the Fa-mas that is holding the main cover of the gearbox in place.

45si.jpg

Having removed the screws, you need to carefully pull up the cover from the front (near where the hop-up is) and then slide in off the back of the gearbox. This will expose the gearbox and the next screws that need to be undone and the connector for the trigger mechanism.

56zh.jpg

The small white piece of plastic connects the trigger mechanism in the body to the trigger mechanism in the gearbox, and need to be removed in order to remove the gearbox.

66nw.jpg

Taking a pair of pliers grab hold of the edge on the top of the white connector and carefully full the connector up and out of its little hole.

70yd.jpg

Now before you go ahead and undo the last 4 screws holding the gearbox in place, you need to undo the electrical connection between the body and the gearbox, this is a simple mini tamiya connection.

90va.jpg

Now you can undo the 2 screws on either side of the gearbox that are circled in red, whilst at the same time supporting the gearbox so that it doesn’t move while you remove the screws.

108vu.jpg

Having removed the 4 screws, you can now remove the gearbox from the Fa-mas, it should just pull straight back out of the body, although one of the plastic arms that holds the gearbox in place may need to be pulled outwards 1 or 2mm with a screwdriver.

112qk.jpg

Notice the hopup chamber is now exposed and can be given a quick spray with silicone lubricant before you put the Fa-mas back together.

129am.jpg

039ow.jpg

Ok, so now that we have the gearbox removed, we need to remove the battery cover (fore grip), I don’t think I really need to explain how you do this.

040kv1.jpg

Having removed the fore grip, its time to remove the pistol grip. The little door thingy on the bottom of the pistol grip is sometimes already loose and will come open, and sometimes it will be glued closed, in which case you need to pop out the small pin that the flap pivots on and prise it open that way.

052ec.jpg

068bw.jpg

Once open, you will see a fairly large screw that needs to be undone in order to take off the pistol grip, take hold of a long Philips screwdriver and undo this screw.

077qe.jpg

Then, carefully pull the pistol grip off the body of the FA-MAS.

084wm.jpg

You can see that the pile of bits from the FA-MAS is already starting to pile up.

095is.jpg

Now you need to remove the tripper guard, this is done by simply undoing the small screw at the front of the guard.

100df.jpg

Ok, so now you need to remove the outer barrel and front sight (which is connected to the outer barrel). Start by undoing the very small screw with a tiny alan key.

125le.jpg

136et.jpg

Now carefully undo the 2 screws that are shown below and remove the small bracket.

116xy1.jpg

You are now able to carefully slide the whole of the outer barrel and front sight of the main body of the FA-MAS, then carefully pull apart the metal outer barrel and the front sight as shown in the second picture below.

145xy.jpg

158wk.jpg

If you need to(, for some reason) remove the flash hider, there is a tiny Philips screw than need to be undone and then it will pull straight off.

179aa.jpg

186wz.jpg

Now its time to remove the carry handle. Locate the small screw (which is actually very long) and undo it completely.

209nl.jpg

Having removed the screw, carefully lift the back end of the carry handle up and slide it forward a bit until it comes free on the main body. Careful not to pull the carry handle too hard there is still a wire attached.

223gw.jpg

237kj.jpg

Now locate the small white clip which holds the wires in place in the carry handle and remove it to free the carry handle from the body of the FA-MAS.

243qv.jpg

252af.jpg

Now you are left with a very strange looking item, and a slowly growing pile of parts.

276rj.jpg

OK, so it’s almost time to open up the body, but first you need to undo and remove the rear sight. This is done by removing one small screw at the base of the sight. (Be carefully not the loose the small nut on the other side of the sight).

283lu.jpg

292wn.jpg

This next bit doesn’t have to be removed, but it stops it getting in the way. Undo the screws on the cocking handle whilst support the cocking handle from underneath, then carefully pull the cocking handle out of its holder and slide the holder of the barrel along with the spring.

303fb.jpg

317cg.jpg

322ad.jpg

Now we can begin to open up the body of the FA-MAS. Start by undoing the 4 screw shown in the picture below, then turn over the body and undo the last screw near where the cocking handle spring was (you un-did one on the other side earlier).

331bt.jpg

404zq.jpg

Now with a small flat screwdriver, begin to evenly and carefully prise open the body, whilst keeping an eye on the mag release catch and the trigger as they both have springs connected to them.

345qp.jpg

Having opened up the body, you can now seem the little odds and sods that lurk deep inside your FA-MAS. Carefully remove the items that are shown in red in the photo below.

350xx.jpg

You may have noticed that the connecting rod for the trigger sits on a little flat bracket type thing; this needs to be removed in order to remove the inner barrel. Undo the screw circled below and lift out the bracket.

383ro.jpg

Now, to remove the inner barrel and hop-up, you must undo 2 small screws positions either side of the mag part of the hop-up chamber. After removing these screws, the inner barrel and hop-up should come out in one piece.

393gw.jpg

420kl.jpg

Carefully, pull the black outer barrel away from the hop-up chamber and slide it off the inner barrel as shown.

449pr.jpg

Now its time to remove the hop-up chamber. Locate the screws at the top of the chamber, (one is circled in the photo below).

460dl.jpg

Now very carefully pull the hop up chamber away from the inner barrel as shown, this will reveal the hop up rubber which can also be carefully pulled off the inner barrel.

471lq.jpg

480kd.jpg

Ok, at last we are nearly there. Push the last remaining piece off the inner barrel as shown in the photo below. This leaves us with the inner barrel, which can now be replaced if necessary.

504el.jpg

515ry.jpg

The very last thing to do now (if it needs to be done) is to pull out the small pin in the hop-up chamber, which allows you to access and dismantle the rest of the hop-up chamber.

520ii.jpg

530nx.jpg

And that’s it; you have now completely stripped your FA-MAS (except the bipod legs, that will have to come later). Now all you have to do is work out how to put it back together. Only kidding, just follow the guide, but go in reverse.

There’s a lot of parts.

545kz.jpg

Hopefully this will come in useful for anyone who wants to replace anything inside the main body of their FAMAS.

Any comments are welcome and +1’s will also be gratefully received.

Carson

P.S. Sorry its so long.

Just as a note to newbies: It's not necessary to fully take it apart, as shown in the final picture, if you're changing parts such as hop up bucking, barrel etc. You'll probably just end up with spare parts when you're done. As soon as you've managed to split the body in two, everything should be accessable.

Great guide, though, and the full walkthrough will probably help those who wish to use the FA-MAS as a base for custom models, too.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Just as a note to newbies: It's not necessary to fully take it apart, as shown in the final picture, if you're changing parts such as hop up bucking, barrel etc. You'll probably just end up with spare parts when you're done. As soon as you've managed to split the body in two, everything should be accessable.

Yes, the idea of this guide is to show anyone how to get to and disassemble just about any part of the FA-MAS, its doesn't mean you have to take apart everything to get at the mag release catch for example.

Also, when you take it apart, make sure you know where all the screws and parts came from. Thats why the screws are in groups in the final photo.

I can dismantle it but don't like to unless i get it wrong!

so +1 for you.

If only there where more of these for various guns! Ive only seen this and a g-spec one!

Anyone wanna take up the challenge?

I would do a p90 but its pretty easy anyway!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Man where were you about 2 years ago, When my friend got his new FAMAS and it stoped firing the day he got it, I had to Strip it down, And open the MOTOR, Then put new wires in "Which were Burnt and melted" and shave the brushes "which had caught up in the motor Causing all the fuss" The longest part was putting the gun back together....it was hell...wish i had this Guide...Excellent Job m8!

• 3 years later...

It's not that hard, I've taken mine apart many times, and the only thing that's going to catch you out is the little platic linkage on the trigger bar(s).

Next time I strip mine, I'll get some pics, but I don't really have any plans to pull it apart again in the near future.

http://www.airsoftcore.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51388

Try this in the mean time!

Archived