Pictures of your latest acquisition V2.0

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Qhs, awesome, let me know how the Gladius is, I've heard good things about them.

No I didn't buy anything new, still waiting on some parts for my PTW, like my OTAL and my tango down bipod (sent it back for repair).

However a week or so ago a few of you asked me to review the J-Point, much like I did with the Z-Point scope from Zeiss. So here you go:

First off the J-Point IS a copy of the Doctor Reflex sight, so that chicken/egg thing is settled right there, but I feel that the J-Point is a better scope, based on real world and real gun demands. The J-Point is an updated version of the Tasco Optima 2000 scope, which was a fantastic scope which was sold under the Tasco brand (Tasco is usually bad optics FYI). Anyways, back to the Doctor vs J-Point arguement. The Doctor sight is metal and uses a glass lense, while this is higher grade material than the J-Point, it does have it's disadvantages. The heavier material is more durable, but makes its mass higher so it's affected more by recoil, whereas the 100 percent composite J-Point has virtually no mass, it's incredibly light. So it compensates for a weaker body by not being as easily damaged as the Doctor scope. The one complaint some people rail against the J-Point is clarity of optics; and yeah it's a plastic lense and not as clear as glass, however the only distortion is in the very edges (left and right) in the window, and frankly if you're concerned about the clarity of the extreme left and rights you aren't paying attention to what you should be shooting at anyways.

The J-Point runs on a CR2032 battery, which costs about a dollar or less, battery life is 4-12 months, depending on the useage and if you remember to cover it. Speaking of which the J-Point comes with a shroud that when installed makes the onboard LED go into idle mode, NOTE: the scope NEVER turns off, it's always on. So you never have to remember to turn it on in a firefight. If you look at my pictures you'll notice I took an 8" length of shock cord, which is used in mountain climbing, I did this to make sure the shroud can never be accidentally dropped or lost on the field (thanks go to Cass at militarymorons.com for the trick). I have the 4MOA version, so the dot is very fine and very crisp.

Zeroing is easy and simple with a small .050 allen wrench for adjusting windage and elevation. I have the scope mounted on a piggy back tandem mount. On the ACOG TA31F you need the lower brace, however on a TA01NSN all you need is the top piece as the TA01NSN has the mounting points built in. The hardest part was just installing everything and making sure the scope mount was perfectly vertical. The addition of the J-Point adds almost no weight to the overal scope, which is awesome. I was also concerned intially about the wings on either side of the scope, mainly just looking kind of ugly, but in the bright sun they keep your target image from getting washed out. The one thing you do have to get used to is the height of the J-Point, you will have to break cheek weld to use it, so keep that in mind in a fire fight. I think the great thing about this scope is that most Doctor scopes new cost about 350+, whereas you can pick up the J-Point and mount for 280 shipped, that's a great value. No wonder these things are so popular with special forces.

So I give it an awesome two thumbs up, and now for the pictures.

dsc000676es.jpg

dsc000684tx.jpg

dsc000692bh.jpg

Qhs, awesome, let me know how the Gladius is, I've heard good things about them.

I bought the holster not the Gladius.

I've had the Gladius for at least a year already and it's great. The beam is bright as day (About 90~100 lumens. You can look indirectly at the flashlight and you still see stars afterwards) and the range of the beam (Very white) is at least 20~35 feet before it fades. The features are great too. You can dim the lights by putting it to the "always on setting," by turning the knob and then holding the button. The strob feature works like a charm. I tried it on myself, don't do it, and I was seeing stars for at least 1 minute afterwards.

It's some fiber optic thing that takes in light for the scope to be used at night.

:blink: Whaat?

That red thing is a fiberoptic cable which gathers light for use in DAY!! (there is not much light at night). The reticle lights up according to the amount of light available, the more light, the brighter the reticle is. For night, the reticle is illuminated by a tritium-phosphor lamp.

Edit: Titleist beat me to it.

Cheers,

Mike

:cookiemonster:

Edited by LoneWolf
:blink: Whaat?

That red thing is a fiberoptic cable which gathers light for use in DAY!! (there is not much light at night). The reticle lights up according to the amount of light available, the more light, the brighter the reticle is. For night, the reticle is illuminated by a tritium-phosphor lamp.

Edit: Titleist beat me to it.

Cheers,

Mike

:cookiemonster:

That was my guess, sorry I dont care too much about $1250 optics I'll never be able to afford. :P

Edited by Crandall

So i was going to buy a Spartan vest, but since i helped my Sgt. out today by helping him train air force reservists on how to do patrolling and some basic MOUT, he gave me his extra "Camel Tan" (Not coyote brown :( ) Diamondback Tactical RBV. I cant complain though, now i need to buy some pouches. :P

rbv7qw.jpg

So i was going to buy a Spartan vest, but since i helped my Sgt. out today by helping him train air force reservists on how to do patrolling and some basic MOUT, he gave me his extra "Camel Tan" (Not coyote brown  :( ) Diamondback Tactical RBV. I cant complain though, now i need to buy some pouches.  :P

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/9337/rbv7qw.jpg

Yep he did nothing to get the vest Crandall, he just got it out of sheer generosity :rolleyes:

Well hopefully you'd be issued one. Or do the marines still use the PSAGT?

Reservists still use the PASGT - field marines use the Gentex Light weight Helmet (same shape as PASGT but lighter and more resistant to fragments)

MICH I believe being used in some units such as FR? at least photos I've seen are alleged to be Force Recon - I may be wrong?

And my new baby:

boxedumpmedium6cs.jpg

btw, very very nice. I love that SMG, infact, im thinking of getting one.

Reservists still use the PASGT - field marines use the Gentex Light weight Helmet (same shape as PASGT but lighter and more resistant to fragments)

MICH I believe being used in some units such as FR? at least photos I've seen are alleged to be Force Recon - I may be wrong?

marines do indeed use the new LWH over MICH. But in the Corps. you can purchase anything you want really, as long as your CO isnt being a gear nazi and tryin to have all his guys load outs all be the same as the SOP.

If he does get me a MICH him and I will be the only 2 in my reserve unit with a MICH, everyone else will have the PASGT with old style 2 point chinstrap. :wide-eyed:

Edited by Milla

Psh we still use the damn PASGT with the 2 point chinstrap and we all got to wear the same gear when we work the road but when we deploy we can wear whatever we want. I wear a Tactical Tailor vest over my Interceptor vest but we're issued the old 88 or the harness/pistol belt combo.

Hey Milla which marines are issued the M16A4 because i see some here with A4's and some with the old A2's

Edited by overide85

As far as I know the A2 is being phased out. The guys you see with the A2's are probably just one a few units that havent got an upgrade or ran out of A4's.

And yes we still have the PASGT with 2 point chinstrap also.

Edited by Milla