KJW Full Metal Para Ordnance P14.45

KJW Para Ordnance P14.45 Review- Full Metal Version

Introduction

Having always loved the Kimber in the film SWAT, I thought to myself, what gun can i get that looks relatively similar, but at a cheaper price. I went with the TM Hicapa 5.1, and have been using this for a few months. As time passed the bumper on the mag was really starting to annoy me, and the fact that the gun was not a copy, also annoyed me.

I looked around until I came to a shop that stocked the Full Metal Para Ordnance. As with many retailers that have have "bad reputations" i was slightly reluctant to place an order at first, however, after reassurance from 'softers who have had this gun, i decided to buy it.

First Impressions

When i unwrapped the box out of the reams of bubblewrap, all i could see was a plain white flimsy box. Upon opening the box i saw a very heavy looking pistol, with a loading rod and manuals. I proceeded to pick up the pistol, and the first thing i felt was the cool feel of the metal and the weight in comparison to other pistols i have, and have had.

Just like the ABS model the magazine bares a double stack design. This is not a mistake, but a replication of the real Para Ordnance. I had no trouble whatsover loading the magazine, it was as easy as "1,2,3". I proceeded to taking my can of Abbey Ultra gas to the magazine, and giving around a 7 second burst to fill the mag. Due to the nature of the slide AND the frame being full metal, i am going to use Green Gas in the future, enabling a smoother and more rapid cycling of the slide. Nevertheless, Abbey Ultra did work fine.

Looks

Para Ordnance's are like marmite; you either love them or you hate them. This is the same with the KJW version. The slide is very bare, only sporting:-

KJWorks

Made in Taiwan

Engraved onto the right side of the slide.

The frame is very solid, with no extremely tacky seamlines like other manufacturers. The grips bare the "KJ" logo in fancy italics. I know that the grips can be changed for other grips, but only if longer screws are purchased or machined.

The outer barrel is silver and gives the look of the overall gun a definite positive boost.

The hammer is of a skeleton nature, and looks as good as a hammer can look! It has the standard 3 positions: Cocked, Decocked, and Uncocked.

The magazine is lighter than i expected, featuring the double stack feature, and being made entirely of metal. It slides easily into the gun, making a reassuring "click" as it enters. To release the magazine just press the release button, and it just falls out.

Build Quality

Much like with the ABS version, and with other GBBs there is a slight rattle when the magazine is out of the gun, however, when it is in, the rattle is very faint, and the gun feels very sturdy in your hand.

The KJW Para Ordnance sports the following metal parts: -

1. Metal Slide & Outer/Inner Barrels

2. Metal Body Frame

3. Metal Magazine & Magazine Catch

4. Metal Firing Trigger & Hammer

5. Metal Recoil System

6. Metal Slide Level Lock

7. Metal Tactical Sight

8. Metal Safety Lock

The sites are very clear, making aiming extremely easy.

Adjustable Hop Up on this model makes it a very strong competitor in todays airsoft world, and it is adjusted just like on the TM Hicapa, P226 etc: through taking the slide off, and turning the dial inside.

Performance

After loading the magazine up with gas and BBs, i took to my garden. Having cocked the gun and hearing a very reassuring "clink" as the slide returns to its standard position, i proceeded to aiming, and pulling the trigger. Even on Abbey Ultra Gas, the speed the slide cycled at was promising. I fired a whole magazines worth of BBs, with the hop up set perfectly. It was very accurate, causing me to realise this will be a worth skirmish sidearm.

Overall

What do you get for your money?..I hear you ask. Well...you get a very solid, well machined pistol, that gives a good solid blowback, and is as accurate as the majority of any other GBBs. KJW are up and coming as quality manufacturers, and I am very impressed with what i have seen from my Para Ordnance

Looks8/10- You have to like the model!

Build Quality8/10

Performance9/10

Overall9/10

I would definitely recommend this pistol to anyone considering buying a first, or indeed another Gas Blowback for their collection.

Pics will follow soon :)

Oli

hi mate,

there are two versions of this. The new version, and the older one. The newer one sports the adjustable hop up, and i will take a photo of the wheel to show you when i get back from college.

The only problem i fiond, is a slight rattle from what seems like a ring near the hammer. It doesnt affect the firing however etc.

hmm yeah...i know that you do either get a good one or a bad one. However, i was lucky enough for mine to be fine...just don't want it falling apart on me lol.

You should get one mate, theyre pretty good! I know plenty of people with them, and they seem pretty happy.

Oli

I also own a KJW full metal 1911 - GREAT value for money, and i feel much more confident with it than my somewhat fragile Western Arms.

Sorry i didn't get back to your PM on UKAN Oli - i've been rushing around a lot lately, and have had a long list of urgent correspondants to deal with.

Congratulations on your purchase though - and make sure you get a Safariland 6004 for that thing as soon as poss ;)

no worries mate, i do really like it.

Only slight niggle i have is in regards to the hammer, there is a bit of wobble back and forth when it is in the normal uncocked poisition, and there seems to be a little ring that rattles.

Hmm...maybe lol, do you have an M3 fixed to your?

oli

• 2 months later...

After reading Rizzo's review of the ABS version, I got into a dilemma - plastic Para or the fullmetal one? As I'm kinda on a shoestring budget, needing an AEG and the ABS Para costs half the price of the metal version... I think I could scrape out 235 PLN (around 75 bucks) in addition to 435 PLN (around 140 bucks) for the Cyma MP5J I'm planning to buy, but not 489 PLN (that's 155 bucks!) for a full metal P14... :(

I have the exact same gun and its one of the nicest pistols I've ever owned. I've had about 20 magazines through mine so far and no problems as such. They do loved to be lubed though, just bear that in mind. But as I say, just some regular TLC and it'll be a fantastic pistol. Sounds like you go a dodgy one Oli. If it's still under warranty get a replacement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

p10101944le.jpg

p10101920sw.jpg

p10101983dm.jpg

This is my own P14. It's my baby. At first, I was disappointed with the gas efficiency because I went from KSC Glocks to this, so it was strange to me to only get 1 magazine per fill. Summer fixed that though. Hard blowback, and the lovely ka-chink racking sound. I lost the front sight :(

There's at least a solid day of nonstop work total in this gun. Only cost about $175 to do it all though.

I polished it myself up to 2000grit sandpaper, put some real Hogues on it, and used real screws.