ICS m4 top receiver problem

SlvrDragon50

Ive posted this at Airsoft Retreat too but with no solutions..

My ICS M4 TOp receiver does not actually close when it should. I managed to get it about less than a mm from closing but not all the way.

I have gathered the following information:

•The gear must have the side with no teeth up

•Attempt to jiggle the gears around

•Press the spring release button while closing

Hmm, did you operate the FA before opening it up? Just trying a few things with mine, is the upper gearbox (piston assembly) as far forward as it can be? Also there is a slight amount of lateral play between the receivers, this can cause the tappet plate prong to prevent closure of the receivers.

Have you done anything else with it internally with regards to disassembly? More info would really help.

Forward Assist, that plunger mounted on the right side of the upper receiver, on the ICS M4 series it takes the strain off the main spring. As opposed to having to fire a few semi shots to decompress the spring on most other AEGs.

It is necessary to use it before opening up, although I don't know how reversible the effects of not doing so are.

*goes to check Sid's ICS review*

If anything, I'm willing to bet that it's your wires that are getting in the way. Just remove your handguards, pull the wires forward (not too much, don't want to stretch the wires) and close your receiver. If that doesn't work, then try looking at the front of the receiver where the front body bin is. The wires might be getting caught over there, so just use something to push it in when closing the receiver.

And if that doesn't work, then it could be the forward assist thing, like stated previously.

My ICS M4 TOp receiver does not actually close when it should. I managed to get it about less than a mm from closing but not all the way.

A little history might be helpful in figuring out your problem:

Why did you open it?

What did you do to it after you opened it?

When you say it comes to less that a mm from closing, are you talking about the gap between upper and lower receiver or that the holes that the rear pin goes through don't quite line up?

A little history might be helpful in figuring out your problem:

Why did you open it?

What did you do to it after you opened it?

When you say it comes to less that a mm from closing, are you talking about the gap between upper and lower receiver or that the holes that the rear pin goes through don't quite line up?

I have seen this problem with a few other guns. And like I said, there should be a little latch thing on the front of the lower gearbox. It's what holds the front part of the two gearboxes together. Firstly make sure that this latch can rotate. If not, the screw that runs through it is too tight and needs to be loosened. And secondly, watch your gearboxes as they meet. This latch should rotate. If it does not, then the upper won't close all the way on the lower. So, the best way to approach this is to reach up the magazine well, and ensure that this latch rotates when the upper meets the lower.

~Tyler

First check to see if you put your upper gearbox all the way in. To do that, I would put the rear reciever pin through the the receiever tabs and see if it goes all the way through to the other side. I've had a few instances where I didn't push the gearbox in far enough and that prevented me from closing it again.

Also, check to see if are scratches on the side of your upper gearbox by where the bolt-catch button is normally locatted (the wiring side). My screw to my wire guard also prevented the upper gearbox from closing because of that little screw and actually scraped my gearbox pretty badly.

Last thing to do is to make sure your sector gear is not showing any teeth when you try close it. You can try to fire a few shots in semi to try to get the gears aligned correctly or you can push the anti-reversal latch thing back and move the gears manually.

I'd would try all those before you got to the shop.

• 5 months later...

Firstly, the "advice" you've gathered is mostly nonsense. Certainly don't press the spring release (forward assist) while refitting the upper gearbox. Doing so will most likely CAUSE your problem.

When you look through the rear receiver pin hole, do the holes in the receiver tabs line up with the hole through the upper gearbox?

If not then the upper gearbox is in the wrong place.

Remove the upper gearbox from the upper receiver and place it onto the lower receiver then put the rear receiver pin into place.

Does the gearbox sit correctly?

There should be a little flip-up latch at the front of the lower gearbox which hooks over the edge of the upper gearbox.

Is this latch engaging properly and is it loose enough that it's still turning easily?

If the upper gearbox sits on the lower properly then the problem is not related to the gearbox.

Check the position of the wires. It's unlikely they'll be at fault because they are held captive by a cable duct but if they are loose then they might be fouling something.

Equally, the wires may well be trapped right at the front of the receiver.

Check the wires for signs of crushing to ensure this is not the case.

That just leaves the receiver tabs.

Again, remove the upper gearbox from the upper receiver and try closing the upper receiver with the upper gearbox removed.

Does the receiver close?

If so then the problem is to do with the gearbox. If not then something is fouling the receiver tabs.

It still sounds like the tappet plate cam pin is out of position. With the gun opened shotgun style, cycle the gearbox once or twice without the upper receiver engaged. You should see the gears spin. Then try to close the receiver. If it still does not align, try the forward assist and attempt it again. Do not force the two halves together or you will snap the tappet plate or worse, the receiver.

This is a fairly common issue with the ICS M4/M16 when the receiver is opened before the forward assist is pushed to relieve the tension from the anti-reversal latch. It actually is not the front cam. The gears are out of position to mate with the upper.

I have the same problem on my Upper GB. Here is what I do to get it to work:

First, close it up without the upper GB in. Do it a few times.

Next, open and put in the Upper GB.

Close it as much as you can without using force. Then locate where it says "6mm AEG Trainer" in white lettering. Put your thumb on those words.

Next, move your thumb to the place on your Upper GB that is EXACTLY OPPOSITE of that one. Basically, slide it directly across the gap.

Now, and this is where a second pair of hands is REALLY helpful, PUSH DOWN with that thumb while pushing down on the Upper GB. It may take a few tries, but it should close eventually.

Why does this happen? Cause ICS makes *suitcasey* bodies.

Archived