• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arnies-toomanyconnections.jpg

Quite simply; Arnie's is suffering a problem of having too many people looking at it. ASCUKs idea of solving this was to require logging on and stop guests from accessing the forums.

I have no idea what's wrong really, but seen as Arnie is away I can't see it changing any time soon.

I have no idea what's wrong really, but seen as Arnie is away I can't see it changing any time soon.

Will has admin access as well now though, so it could actually be solvable given a bit of thought and him knowing how to use all the power he's just been given!

Hi all,

Right - The "Low-down" for y'all...

A month ago this site was receiving SO MANY connections (around the 700 simultaneously mark) that the CPU was being drowned out for extended periods and the whole site was being killed.

Now, to understand what "Connections" are - A Connection is a request sent to the server. One user NORMALLY has one connection at any one time. However, some users have multiple browser windows open and are making multiple connections at any given moment (replying to a thread in one window while refreshing another window and opening a thread in another window). This is THREE connections.

Now, when a server is being bombarded with 700 PHP connection requests CONSTANTLY it has a tendancy of dying. Result - up to an hour of down-time while its internal diagnostic systems notice the outage and reboot.

So a few months ago the number of simultaneous "connections" was limited to 450. This means that any overloads are limited to minutes not hours, and there will be no "Total overload" of the CPU/RAM,etc...

Put simply, if you see a "Too many connections" message, wait for 2 minutes and then hit "Refresh". Your connection should then come back to you.

This is the price we pay for being the world's number 1 Airsoft community ;)

This is a question for Ivery really, but out of sheer curiousity what are the specs of the hosting server hosting this site?

I would have thought most servers would be able to cope with 700 mySQL connections!

Well, the server is also split between Arnies and Ivery's site, I think. So that may have an impact on the problem.

~P

Well of course, but most people who frequent the boards are from:

USA

Hong Kong

UK

Canada

Japan

There are very few people outside of these countries, so I did'nt bother to list them all.

~P

Why don't you fix all the problems, as you seem to have server access to get at the stats for this page...

is it me or is it getting worse?

and I won't mention what I do for a living, *waves hand* no I am nothing to do with websites, web servers and (My)SQL databases... and these aren't the droids you're looking for

I suddenly feel guilty about having 5 Firefox tabs open viewing different threads...

And so you should :)

Well, not just you, but ALL members using multiple windows/Firefox tabs are taking up connections that stop other users from viewing the site. Yes, it may help you do several things at once, but each one of those "things" is a user that is being "bounced" from the site.

The problem is that at the moment, demand is MASSIVELY high and finance is low. These two factors are mutually exclusive which is leading to outages for some users.

And don't think that this is because us owners/admins/moderators are over-using the site - even I have had a job connecting this fine evening which added an hour to various admin tasks and left me with one fewer hour of sleep tonight. :(

Anyway, upgrades are being considered at the moment and improvements are being tabled. Until they are put in to place though we have to take account of the fact that this site's popularity has grown beyond all expectations and beyond all other internet web sites. They say there is a price to be paid for fame and popularity. For us it is the occasional 5 minutes of outage here and there. For others it is either hounding by the paparazzi or death on a toilet. Personally, I am happy to stick with the occasional outage :)

Rest assured, as server upgrades are planned or implemented you will be the first to know ;)