New to Airsooft, going to Hong Kong:)

Ubijza

Airsoft guns are sex :P

JCYC5. Do you mind if I tag along too? I'm getting into HK on 29th Mar 04:00.

Is the weekend best for you or can you make weekdays too?

Do you have a particular day in mind?

Hoping to get to at least one game whilst I'm in HK.

I'm staying for two weeks with my Sister-in-law and her family near Daipo (her husband is just getting into Airsoft after having a play with my guns when they were over here recently :D )

I'll have the use of their car while I'm there too, though I expect parking is a nightmare on the island?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to Hong Kong just after New Years (ie, the regular one, not the Chinese one) and it was cool, I'll repost my report here (because I didn't even post it on Arnies):

Wow!  What a day!  Just got back from a day chock full of airsoft shopping, and boy was it just jaw-dropping!  (don’tcha just love all the exclamation points I’m throwing in?!)

First off, I went to Mong Kok…this is the airsoft area in Hong Kong, with shops galore!  After stumbling around like a Arkansas farm boy just getting to a big city and having no clue as to what I was doing…I actually stumbled onto the first airsoft shop that I’ve ever been in.  It wasn’t all that big, they didn’t have a website, and there were only 4 guns in the store, but it was something.  I asked about where all the other stores were, where I could get all of the stuff that I both wanted and/or needed to get for friends and such, and they directed me to the Classic Army store that was around the corner.  Pretty much for one city block is nothing but Hobby and Model shops, with several random shops and restaurants thrown in.  Bear in mind, none of these shops are open before, oh, 1300 local time, and some don’t open until much later.  Why?  No clue.

The Classic Army store is pretty much brand spanking new.  Very nicely laid out, all of their AEGs and some of their other guns are also in the display cases, along with all of their spares stuff, scopes, etc. in the brightly lit store.  They were the second most helpful of all 10 or so stores that I stopped in, and the saleswoman’s English was good.  I picked up what I could get there, and then trundled on to the next store.

That next store that I stopped in at was called “S-3.”  They’re a well-stocked store, with a sales staff that was exceptionally knowledgeable.  I sat and talked with the guy who has worked there for a long time, and he was a nice guy (Most of the shops, I was to find, have one guy that actually can speak good English, and the rest will just stare at you like you’re from another planet!).  The S-3 store had the best deals, with STAR M249s starting with the MkIIs for around HK$3200…for those of us not in the know about conversions, the exchange rate is about HK$8 to US$1.  That means that they were selling them for about US$400!  They also had several weapons that they allowed me to handle for awhile, namely that STAR M249 MkII (its incredibly light…), TM M14 (wood stock version, and if you do decide to get one of them, do yourself a favor and either get the green stock or buy yourself a real-wood kit), and the SRC M4A1.  They also allowed me to fire the new WE 3.8in Baby Hi-Capa, which according to the guy there, it has a much higher psi rating than anything from anyone else.  While the gun was nice, it wasn’t my cup ‘o’ tea, and so I didn’t go overboard and buy it.  The gentleman there also said that since Classic Army moved in two doors down, they told everyone in all of the airsoft shops in HK that they wouldn’t get wholesaler pricing anymore.  Maybe this is a signal that they may eventually start selling the stuff themselves, but I’m not counting on it.

I also ventured five doors down (past the CA shop again…its really pretty!) to DEN Trinity.  They have a JAM-packed store, fairly nice, and there I was able to find a few other items that I needed to pick up for friends.  The staff there didn’t seem to eager to help me like the guys at S-3, or even Classic Army, but they were helpful enough.

After getting pretty much everything that I absolutely needed for the team and myself, I went browsing around for anything else that I could possibly find and check out for myself.  I found War IV Toys, and they were delighted that I had taken the time to come down to their store.  Everywhere I went, there were some wild airsoft guns to be found, several of which varied from store to store.  The staff at War IV Toys is exceptionally nice, and they were kind enough to show me several pieces of airsoft kit that I might be looking into in the future.

Next shop that I ventured into was Guns’N’Guys.  This was a letdown, as the store staff seemed more content to sit around and not help me out, but I did manage to fiddle around some with their TOP M60E3, which was a nice enough piece of kit, but I’ll wait until CA or someone else comes out with it.  Anyway, I ran about as fast as I could away from them.

I found another store that was really nice, but I didn’t catch a name or grab a business card (sorry guys).  They allowed me to handle the G&P SPR/A, which was a whole lot lighter than I expected it to be.  It still felt well built, however.  I also held the STAR UMP, which was a lot nicer feeling than their M249, which wasn’t all that bad.  Finally, they handed me a STAR SA80A2, and let me tell you.  That gun is N-I-C-E NICE!  The build quality is most excellent, the plastic bits are nice, and everything is well planned.  (While I’m talking about the STAR SA80A2, let me slip in here with something that I caught from the saleswoman at CA.  CA MAY or MAY NOT come out with their own SA80 versions in order to compete…we shall see, however she seemed fairly certain before she got very quiet and hush-hush about it…).  One problem: the metal is very shiney…especially the magazine.  I also heard that there is a problem with the feed system on their high-capacity magazines, but since I wasn’t able to put the gun through its paces, I was not able to determine.  The SA80 is extremely heavy, almost on par with a fully-loaded M16A2 with M203 attachment, for those of us who have handled that piece.  This was also the only store that had the STAR SA80s, but the others said that they just hadn’t yet received their shipments yet.

Some other stores that I saw but didn’t have a chance to go into: Tokyo Model.  Wasn’t open, when I went around, and by the time I could have gone to check it out, the visual overload of so much airsoft was getting to me.  But while I have time, I’ll write a blurb about the airsoft “war games” scene in HK.  It’s a combination of US and Japanese, they still do mostly speedball, with more teams and slightly more uniformity.  Unlike in Japan (from what I gather from reading Stinger’s stuff) where its pretty much everyone for themselves, and they all have differing get-ups and such, there is a definite desire in HK to have teams.  The problem as I see it is that there is little land for the guys that want to play on to play on.

So ended a fine day of perusing the shops of Mong Kok and checking out the airsoft scene in Hong Kong.  I know now that I will definitely come back one day (hopefully in the near future) and pick up a bunch more stuff.

this is a very accurate review. S-3 has a really nice staff and so does CA. I think those two stores were the most helpful out of all the stores in Mong Kok. Classic Army won't install upgrades for you though or they wouldn't when i was there last summer. I bought a CQB and wanted a different spring, but they said they didn't do upgrades. S-3 did it for me instead.

I'll have the use of their car while I'm there too, though I expect parking is a nightmare on the island?
Doc. Driving is fine, finding route isn't. We got so many one ways that when you miss a turn, you can be screwed. My advise is stick with public transport if you're just visiting. For hong kong weather: check this, this sunday's also fruited. http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/fnd.htm
Airsoft guns are sex :P

JCYC5. Do you mind if I tag along too? I'm getting into HK on 29th Mar 04:00.

Is the weekend best for you or can you make weekdays too?

Do you have a particular day in mind?

Hoping to get to at least one game whilst I'm in HK.

I'm staying for two weeks with my Sister-in-law and her family near Daipo (her husband is just getting into Airsoft after having a play with my guns when they were over here recently :D )

Please do come along! Week ends are the best for me, as I have school... Easter break starts April 8th, so if both Ubijza and you are available (other Arnies@HK please come along!!), we can have games or day-tours for as long as you guys may want :P (I have 2 weeks of holiday)

Public transport in HK is probably one of the best in the world... no worries there! Anywhere you want to go, you can get there easily... almost.

Ok, I'm most likely going to be flamed for being such a pansy, but I couldn't hold out any longer...

I just wanted to say how cool it is that you guys are willing to host airsofters from other parts of the world when they are in town... it almost makes this seem like a real "community" ;)

If it's not too much of an imposition, you guys should post a Photo log of your trips...

Ok touchy feely moment over... stoic warrior aspect returning...

Photo log? You bet! :P

Just this minute sorted out my 3 cameras (Primary, secondary and springer back-up :P )

I'll post a few whilst I'm there (complete with plenty of Airsoft overload induced gibberish no doubt ;) ) and do a full report when I get back, hopefully including some in-game footage :D .

meh, ill tag along too if i need to buy anything, or if you need help, jeff ;) i dont know my way around MK as well as some of the guys here, but if you need to go to.. oh say.. redwolf :P i can take you.

mob no: 9306 1051 (in case you visitors cant get in touch with JCYC or bronney :P

WOW guys!!! - thank You, thank You, THANK YOU!!!

See you in Hong Kong! :)

Gun wise... AEGs are easy, and as for pistols - after a lot of research I'm leaning towards TM G18c AEP and HFC's M190 (or KJW M9 - both full metal).

I'll definitely get a pistol or two (simply as a Hong Kong suvenir), the rest will depend on how much I will enjoy skirmishing :D I cant' wait!! :)

PS THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!

WOW guys!!! - thank You, thank You, THANK YOU!!! 

See you in Hong Kong! :) 

Gun wise... AEGs are easy, and as for pistols - after a lot of research I'm leaning towards TM G18c AEP and HFC's M190 (or KJW M9 - both full metal). 

I'll definitely get a pistol or two (simply as a Hong Kong suvenir), the rest will depend on how much I will enjoy skirmishing :D  I cant' wait!! :)

PS THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!

No problemo :) See you soon!

As for the pistols... don't bother with a G18 AEP... they're pretty much glorified early-EBBs from TM, not the most "practical"... instead, try out my HFC M199 when you get here. That's sure to put a grin on your face :D (Honestly, you can pick up a M190 for $80US [slightly less, I think], why would you get anything else? :D )

Also consider getting some gear here, as replica gear is far cheaper sold locally than on the 'net... a replica PT body armor can be found for $380HKD (slightly less than $50US) compared to the prices everywhere else on the internet!

Well I'm here...

Got in 16:20 weds but only just got internet access today.

Had a ###### flight, didn't sleep for the whole 11 1/2 hours and I'd been up since 05:00, the flight was 21:45 take off but it's worth it to be here now.

Was on standby for the flight but we (me, my wife and our 4 children) all got on OK, my wife and the three eldest kids got into club-class, with their lay-flat seats, and my youngest and I had to go 'cattle-class' <_<

I should explain at this point...I work for British Airways, so I get concessionary travel, and as I've been with them for over 15 years (27 years) I get one 'free firm' flight a year (it's not totally free, I have to pay taxes and admin charges) and because of my seniority I'm entitled to club-class too. So instead of paying the 22000 pounds it would have cost for the 6 of us for return club-class tickets, it only cost me 240 :D:blink::money:

It was originally a 'firm' ticket too, meaning we shouldn't have had to go standby, but because of the rugby sevens thing that's on in HK the flights were fairly busy so we got bumped down to standby status...

I've not done my shopping yet, probably go on monday or tuesday.

We've been around a few places, Stanley Market and the Peak, on the island, and most of the toy/games shops have a few guns but they're all the really cheap ones. The only brands I even recognised were 'CYMA' and 'Both Elephants'.

Hopefully I'll get to meet Bronney,JCYC5 and maybe Sirrith.

Bronney's offered to get me into a game tomorrow at a place that's only about 3 miles from where I'm staying, but we have other plans and my Brother-in-law is away at the rugby matches until Monday and he want's to come along too...

More news as it happens...

Doc out...

p.s. Just a quick 'straw poll'...

What's the best make to go for in GBB pistols, around the US$80 mark?

We're supposed to be leaving Tues 11th 00:30, but may try and stay another 2 or 3 days, depending on how busy the flights are.

I'm aiming (pun intended :P ) to go gun shopping Monday or Tuesday late afternoon/evening, or maybe later in the week 'cos Bronney's not feeling well at the moment, I'm fairly flexible on our plans except for this Sunday (2nd)

Monday shopping I can do!

Give me a call tomorrow at 94227001 (Not tooo early please... actually, say evening) and I'm sure I can sort something out... But for Monday, I can probably get to Mong Kong at around 4:15-30ish due to school...

Let me know! I'll try get Sirrith to come along... I have yet to actually meet Bronney...

I'm surprised you're not watchin the Sevens? I should be there tomorrow (Sunday), have to see if I can get tickets off a friend!

I'm surprised you're not watchin the Sevens? I should be there tomorrow (Sunday), have to see if I can get tickets off a friend!

I'm not interested in 'egg chasing' mate ;):D

In fact there isn't any ball-sport I could watch for more than 2 minutes without suffering some sort of boredom-induced brain damage :P Baseball comes closest to being watchable but they do drag it out for so long....

Don't even mention the word gol...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D;)

Still not sure which day I'll be shopping. I'll try and let you know asap.

Now. There are 4 or 5 shops to visit in Mong Kok, or 'Airsoft Central' as someone put it, but is it worth the extra journeys to go to 101 Airsoft in Yuen Long and Airsoft Core in Kwun Tong?

101 Airsoft seem to have a lot of really good priced pistols so I'd like to go there.

I might leave 101 until friday when I'll have a car to use...

Doc out...

I'm not interested in 'egg chasing' mate ;)  :D

In fact there isn't any ball-sport I could watch for more than 2 minutes without suffering some sort of boredom-induced brain damage :P  Baseball comes closest to being watchable but they do drag it out for so long....

Don't even mention the word gol...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D  ;)

Still not sure which day I'll be shopping. I'll try and let you know asap.

Now. There are 4 or 5 shops to visit in Mong Kok, or 'Airsoft Central' as someone put it, but is it worth the extra journeys to go to 101 Airsoft in Yuen Long and Airsoft Core in Kwun Tong?

101 Airsoft seem to have a lot of really good priced pistols so I'd like to go there.

I might leave 101 until friday when I'll have a car to use...

Doc out...

I live near (in) Yuen Long and honestly...it's not worth the hassle.

I need to get a 2nd hand Bowman headset from someone on Monday (For $380 HKD! WHOOO!) so I'll most likely be in Mong Kok... or I could change the day to one that everyone will be there on...

Let me know asap! :P

OK ,thanks for that..knowing me, I'll probably just blow all my money in the first shop I set foot in... :rolleyes:  :P

Noooo!

As for pistols... let me know early enough which day we'r e going shopping and I'll bring my M199 out... you can try fire it and I think it probabably will convince you to get one too ;)

What are you thinking of buying and how much money are you thinking of spending? :P

Archived