Pictures of your Gear

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Real CIRAS or knock off? Damn those are sexy, my Eagle CIRAS shows up tomorrow at my place of work. I'm gonna have to resist not wanting to assemble it and try it on.

I'm debating if I should put the radio on my back/shoulder of the CIRAS, or at side where I can more easily get access to it when needed, eh?

God want a CIRAS, but there is no way I can afford one. I need one for a MARSOC Det-1 look, but I was thinking of using a Blackhawk Recon chest rig. So much for kosher...

And Titleist, I've notices that you have the Blackhawk(or similar) rig that im lookin at. How has it served you so far? I plan on using it with an M-14 with about 4 mags. Are there any others puches you reccommend for odds and ends? Thanks alot for helping out a money-impaired wannabe newby geardo :D .

Thanks Again,

Jake

MARSOC use old fashioned load-bearing gear (for greenside) as often or more often than CIRAS, because they don't trust MOLLE (due to some issues with how (in)securely they were secured).

It would be perfectly accurate for blackside, though. (Of course, then you'd be wearing a nomex flight suit, rather than MARPAT.)

Yeah I think my CIRAS ran me a shade under 500 bucks when all was said and done. Umm, yeah I hae the BHI STRIKE Commando Recon Vest. I'll say this, it's good for light rigs, but it's not as comfy as the EAGLE CIRAS or their new non-releaseable "cheaper" ciras-like vest. It's okay, hence why I'm upgrading to a much better rig.

Right now I'm moving 3x Double M4 Mag Pouches, 1x Radio Pouch, 1x Camelback carrier, 1x TAC Tailor General Purpose Pouch, 1x HSGI Quad Pistol Mag Pouch, and an HSGI Medical Pouch over to the new CIRAS.

I'm starting to think I'll put my big 'ol ICOM F4GS radio on the left side, since I'm a righty so it won't interfere with my shooting stance.

Hmm, funny I remember that you wernt good enough for SNAFU  :rolleyes:

You kidding me? Seriously...tell me when and Ill shut up. Ive owned more kit than youd ever hope too, that and the fact that I can own my own weapons and do!

And Crandall, I didnt start this stuff, it was Havoc, he decided to be a complete fool as always and not listen to someone smarter than him.

Yeah, I would definately reccomend putting the radio pouch on the side. I had mine on my old rig(FSBE) located on the left shoulder blade and couldn't easily access it. Oh, my CIRAS is the Phantom version. ;)

I will agree it looks pretty spiffy on the shoulder, but try and either remove it, or put it back in like that, it's a pain. So I'll slap it on the left side most likely.

The question is, do you really need to be fiddling with your radio all day? Unless you need to be communicating on multiple frequencies (I.E. some kind of command role) or you don't own some sort of PTT, you don't need immediate access to your comms.

I guess it depends on how large your radio is, but I hated mine being on the side of rig, (the antenna was always getting caught on my arm or something) which is why it now sits behind my left shoulder.

Try it out and see what works best for you though, that's what modular gear is all about.

Edited by HeuteGegangen

Dear god man, are you saying that once placed I can in fact "MOVE" this gear around on a vest? Are you insane? That's like crossing the streams.

lol, but good point, I may just have a teammate set it for me then place it back in, side seems best, but might snag on *beep*.

It would be perfectly accurate for blackside, though. (Of course, then you'd be wearing a nomex flight suit, rather than MARPAT.)

I was already planning on wearing the flightsuit, so I guess im going for the blackside. If you dont mind me asking, as I've never heard the term, what is blackside?

I got the idea for this loadout from a pic I saw in a magazine of some Det-1 Marines. They were packing OD flightsuits, CB CIRAS, black 6004s with 1911s, and Desert MARPAT covered MICH. I'm trying to go for that, but wasnt sure if it would be alright to use the chest rig instead of a CIRAS. Thanks for the help.

-Jake

Yeah I think my CIRAS ran me a shade under 500 bucks when all was said and done. Umm, yeah I hae the BHI STRIKE Commando Recon Vest. I'll say this, it's good for light rigs, but it's not as comfy as the EAGLE CIRAS or their new non-releaseable "cheaper" ciras-like vest. It's okay, hence why I'm upgrading to a much better rig.

Right now I'm moving 3x Double M4 Mag Pouches, 1x Radio Pouch, 1x Camelback carrier, 1x TAC Tailor General Purpose Pouch, 1x HSGI Quad Pistol Mag Pouch, and an HSGI Medical Pouch over to the new CIRAS.

I'm starting to think I'll put my big 'ol ICOM F4GS radio on the left side, since I'm a righty so it won't interfere with my shooting stance.

Thanks a lot for the info, Titleist. I believe my rig won't be too heavy, so it will probably work fine for me. I wanted a CIRAS for accuracy and cool factor, but being as I'm saving for a gun,and not wanting replica, spending 500 on just a platform is out of the question. Some day, though, some day... it will be mine.

-Jake

Titleist I've been running my radio on the side of my eagle PC for quite a while now without problems. Loops the wires for the radio through some of the molle strips (I assume you'll have at least some free ones) Minimizes snagging and decreases the chance if you decide to lose your earphones or mic you can just grab from where they are easy, heh.

Can provide pics if you don't know what I mean...

I was already planning on wearing the flightsuit, so I guess im going for the blackside.  If you dont mind me asking, as I've never heard the term, what is blackside?

I got the idea for this loadout from a pic I saw in a magazine of some Det-1 Marines.  They were packing OD flightsuits, CB CIRAS, black 6004s with 1911s, and Desert MARPAT covered MICH.  I'm trying to go for that, but wasnt sure if it would be alright to use the chest rig instead of a CIRAS.  Thanks for the help.

-Jake

That's a blackside load-out.

Blackside is a term used for when direct contact is expected. Things like boarding ships, CQC/MOUT/FISH, securing oil platforms... anything that they expect to be shot at, they'll wear the basic load-out you described. Any load-bearing vest is appropriate to the 'blackside' load-out, but it should have some sort of faux ballistic protection (plate carriers, &c.). You're more than welcome to wear a chest rig, but that's more appropriate to a 'greenside' load-out.

That's a blackside load-out.

Blackside is a term used for when direct contact is expected. Things like boarding ships, CQC/MOUT/FISH, securing oil platforms... anything that they expect to be shot at, they'll wear the basic load-out you described. Any load-bearing vest is appropriate to the 'blackside' load-out, but it should have some sort of faux ballistic protection (plate carriers, &c.). You're more than welcome to wear a chest rig, but that's more appropriate to a 'greenside' load-out.

Well, they rig I'm looking at can carry a plate, so I guess im squared away. Thanks a lot.

So blackside is for, as you said, expected direct contact. Then greenside would refer to more patrol/recon? That makes sense. I've just never heard the terms blackside or greenside before I got on these forums. You learn something new everyday.

Thanks Again,

Jake

Nice loadout!

Just curious how good is the Nam' book ya got there? I have the WWII version and really liked it

I think I saw the same book, Its good reference to get ideas of what everyone is wearing and doing. A friend of mine recommended this other book for in depth detail US Army Uniforms in Vietnam by Paul Miraldi.

I see:

- Desert DPM assault vest, nicked.

- Wyvern NI vest, not actually bought from Northern Ireland. WALT!

- Arktis Basic chestrig, OG, with a little dutch pouch, covered in sawdust for the Amazonian Jungle loadout.

-Arktis Norloose rig, held together by paracord and "troopers mods."

-Norwegian assault vest, used to assault norwegians with during world cup riots.

Ladies and Gentleman of the Jury the evidence is before you. The question is "walt, or not a walt?"