• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the deal is with ACU. It has some strange appeal to me (probably because it's new and 'ooooh'. But to look at it, well, it sucks. Even though all of the US service men I've spoken to (including a SF LtCol - shhh) sdaid it was the Dogs Bolx, and worked really well. I just can't (and haven't) seen it work well.

Hasn't stopped me from getting a full loadout though ;-)

Like I said - strange appeal.

One possible explanation is:

US serviceman based in the UK, probably getting home after leaving Iraq or wherever.

From my experience in Iraq, the US navy is having to put personnel into US Army jobs/billets because they are undermanned. Because they are going to Army posts, they get given ACUs, but only what is available. :mellow:

The worst case I saw was DCUs with ACU body armour and a woodland helmet cover.

And we thought British army couldn't equip its troops properly.... :P

One possible explanation is:

US serviceman based in the UK, probably getting home after leaving Iraq or wherever.

From my experience in Iraq, the US navy is having to put personnel into US Army jobs/billets because they are undermanned.  Because they are going to Army posts, they get given ACUs, but only what is available. :mellow:

The worst case I saw was DCUs with ACU body armour and a woodland helmet cover.

And we thought British army couldn't equip its troops properly.... :P

British troops are legends for putting up with the shat that they get. Government spends millions on a millenium dome and then sends troops to Iraq in the equivalent of frikkin jungle gear..Aaanyway.

US servicemen stationed in UK - I thought that too at first but couldnt work out why he was at Baker St Station in the middle of London. On the clothing front, yeah the woodland helmet cover would look a tad stupid but i was liking the Desert camo with the ACU Vest plus helmet look..Is that just me? Anyone else think it looks ok?

I think a desert vest on ACU would look better. but hey :) I'm weird.

hmm. . . . well. . . the Ministry of Defence has moved up it's plans to replace the L85. :)

And at least the army's better than Russia's WWII era military. You get bullets. you get the gun. when your comrade gets shot. you get both :)

• 1 month later...

Has anyone considered that the man standing in the tube station could be an airsofter? Just thinking outloud, thats all. But I can say this, I have seen literally hundreds of US soldiers in transit at civilian locations, and I have seen plenty of body armor and other tactical gear, but never ever have I seen one in posession of a helmet.

Hey darklite. How about you give it a rest?

I could see someone in any camo sitting in that position from that close so your picture is irrelevant. Also for any camo to be affective you still have to use the enviroment around you to your benefit. For instance if either one of those guys went below the top of the grass you wouldn't be able to see them.

When wearing ACU's in a dark green enviroment, I've still managed to crawl within 20 feet of my opponents at a stationary defensive position un-detected. My squad then attacked the position taking the defenders completely off guard. It's about how you use your camouflage, not so much what it looks like. Standing straight up running across an open ridge you will easily be spotted regardless of what your wearing.

If you have a problem with the ACU thats your business. But you don't have to constantly say it sucks to everyone when I'm sure you've never used it. I've used it to great effect in airsoft, and their are plenty of service members who have used it in real combat and like it just fine.

Edited by DieGuitarre
what brand do you have on your  IBA?, i think?. By the color it looks like its spec.~ops brand, MY FAVE!!

Yeah I have Spec-Ops brand pouches on a chest rig over my IBA. Great pouches I love them. I use them out in the field at work as well as in Airsoft. They have been awsome.