But Kovacs, hes from West Point and that means something... :rolleyes:

:P

Good to see you back posting again Solidius. ;)

Your Right Kong..... How could I......?

But where I come from "Experience in the field" means a hell of alot more............

Also glad to see you again Solidus, I hope your IET went well...... Welcome to the club soldier.....

"NCO's Lead The Way! Hooah!"

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"NCO's Lead The Way! Hooah!"

Hooah! Climbing the ranks swiftly, E4 on the way.

And Airborne School's were its at. JUMPERS HIT IT!

But to stay on topic, IOTV is the one where its got a thumb size pull handle under the front Rank velcro area when pulled it falls apart right? If so then thats the new rig that a ton of wealthy units are recieving as I speak. My buddy in the 20th ENGRS just got all brand new TA50, his M4; new right out of the COLT MFG box. The newer ACU's with the stronger velcro stitching unlike mine which is falling apart after its first week of use.

Newer is much better.

Hooah! Climbing the ranks swiftly, E4 on the way.

And Airborne School's were its at. JUMPERS HIT IT!

But to stay on topic, IOTV is the one where its got a thumb size pull handle under the front Rank velcro area when pulled it falls apart right?

Yup, thats the "new" IOTV. I have a couple guys who just transferred in from other units who were initially using them during the "fielding" phase. They loved them and said although bigger and heavier, they were MUCH more comfortable than the conventional IBA. My unit prior to our last trip over got brand new M4A1's, MBITRS, Personal and Squad Radios and TONS of other goodies. Its always like Christmas time for units right before a major deployment.......

I seem to recall one of my ranger buddies saying that while you HAD to wear whatever body armor and kit that was mandated, you were allowed to wear any additional body armor at your own discretion. This came up during a discussion regarding Dragon Skin and how a lot of families were trying to buy it for their loved ones and that they'd have to wear both to stay within guidelines. Is that still correct? In practice I can't imagine that'd be terribly feasible given the amount of armor you're already wearing... adding another vest on top of that and you'd end up looking like the Michelin Man.

Yeah, thats what pretty much stemmed the whole "Other Armor" debate....

Alot of soldiers wanted to use Dragon Skin Armor. Hell, I was even looking into it myself. But "Big Army" would not authorized it for use... so yes, in theory you could wear it as long as you had on the "approved" IBA and Level III SAPI's as well.

You would end up combat ineffective wearing both sets of armor, not to mention look ridiculously stupid as well.....

My GRAW2 impression is coming along. I'm using my issue ACU's for now plus a MICH helmet but I plan to replace both of these with a combat shirt/pants and G&P USMC Future Helmet.

So far I've got the ACU Armour Chassis (that's the hard one to get right), ACU blast belt, correct pouches so far (still need a set of pistol mag pouches), Blackhawk Desert Ops Boots, Blackhawk SOLAG Kevlar gloves. The MICH helmet doesnt look that bad with this setup (nor do the normal ACU's) but you do kinda need the other types to a good Captain Scott Mitchell.

Well I plan on replacing the MICH with this:

Helmet_GP353_lg.gif

painted in ACU... which is proving to probably be quite a chore, so that my overall look is somewhat close to this:

wallpaper_tom_clancys_ghost_recon_advanced_warfighter_2_02_1280.jpg

So far I have 90% of what he has and other than finding EXACTLY that helmet (apparently no one cept maybe one or two custom gear guys makes an M5) I know where 100% of the rest of the gear is, I just need to save up for it...

I have a full IBA in ACU that I no longer need. It has all the armor inserts and is a size medium. PM me if interested otherwise its going on ebay. I can take pictures tomorrow. All parts are new or used in good condition.

Vest

Yoke & throat protector

Underarm protectors

DAPS

groin protector

side plate carriers

• 2 weeks later...