I really dont know how to state this correctly. But i really dont think that its fair for someone to -1 you when you make an opinion on something, especially when the topic is, what do you think about this or how do you like this...

here is the post in question

man, thats gay i was looking forward to a tipmann airsoft gun.

yeah i could of used better words but this is no reason to go and -1 a person in my opinion. <_<

I just think that this gets out of hand sometimes. Its abuse of powers in my judgement.

But in the end the point that i am trying to get across is that there should be a section made just for rants/complaints.

Edited by frontplayer15

Well using the word gay like you did can offend others. There's ALOT of users on these forums. Some may actually be homosexual. Who are you to insult them? Using gay in a demeaning manner is insulting and immature. People expect more intellectual posts.

Just learn from your mistakes and you won't have the problem again. You only got 2 negative reps from it. It's no big deal. Make good posts and you'll get possitive reps.

Also, don't forget, this is the Internet. Rep points on Arnies Airsoft mean nothing in life ;). You won't show up to the pearly whites and have your Arnies rep affect you.

And no, we don't need a forum for whining.

Edited by Tripod

Unfortunately, using "gay" as a derogatory term for something is very much part of the vernacular these days so it is unfair to penalise for using it, in my opinion.

Most people who use "gay" as a derogatory term aren't homophobic or making a comment about homosexuals, it's just a curse word in the same way that "*badgeress*" is. If I was to say "God, my MP5 was a *badgeress* to strip down", would I be penalised for being derogatory towards female dogs?

If I was to say "God, my MP5 was a *badgeress* to strip down", would I be penalised for being derogatory towards female dogs?

No, of course you wouldn't be penalized for being derogatory towards female dogs. You'd be penalized for saying the lord's name in vain. :lol:

But seriously, if you don't like to get neg points for saying the word "gay", just don't say it anymore. And it's fair game for others to neg rep you for any other curse word you say that's not catched by the word filter.

But seriously, if you don't like to get neg points for saying the word "gay", just don't say it anymore.  And it's fair game for others to neg rep you for any other curse word you say that's not catched by the word filter.

With an increasing number of youngsters coming on the forum who will be so used to using words like "gay" to describe something bad, it's easier said than done. Like I said, it's pretty much a part of most youngsters' vocabularies now, just like (Fruitcage - Ed) and (Codswallop - Ed) are.

I agree that they should try and avoid using the words, but for some it just won't be possible. To avoid scaring them off the forum and potentially losing another airsofter, I just think it'd be better if instead of neg-repping them and flaming them, maybe a politely worded PM or post in the thread to try and set 'em straight.

BTW, from recent posts it is starting to seem like I am deliberately arguing with you Shao (the JPEG thread :P) but I assure you that's not the case :P

Flippen heck its even more PC here than in the UK (i can say flippen right?)

But seriously, if you don't like to get neg points for saying the word "gay", just don't say it anymore. And it's fair game for others to neg rep you for any other curse word you say that's not catched by the word filter.

Or you could just go over to ASCUK theres no cencoring they use common sence and treat you like an adult, provided you dont ask stupid questions youl get on fine.

Edited by twiglet
Unfortunately, using "gay" as a derogatory term for something is very much part of the vernacular these days so it is unfair to penalise for using it, in my opinion.

Most people who use "gay" as a derogatory term aren't homophobic or making a comment about homosexuals, it's just a curse word in the same way that "*badgeress*" is. If I was to say "God, my MP5 was a *badgeress* to strip down", would I be penalised for being derogatory towards female dogs?

Just because it's something that is in the vernacular doesn't mean it has to be tolerated. Using "gay" as a catch all term for something substandard is not acceptable.

But seriously, if you don't like to get neg points for saying the word "gay", just don't say it anymore.  And it's fair game for others to neg rep you for any other curse word you say that's not catched by the word filter.

Or you could just go over to ASCUK theres no cencoring they use common sence and treat you like an adult, provided you dont ask stupid questions youl get on fine.

Or disagree with anything the mods do, or run an event that isn't anything to do with ASCUK, or host your team forum on here, or.....the list goes on.

At the end of the day, whilst this sounds very harsh, no one forces you to stay. If you have a problem with being unable to swear (which, by the way, is neither big nor clever) then the answer is very simple.

Don't post.

Just because it's something that is in the vernacular doesn't mean it has to be tolerated. Using "gay" as a catch all term for something substandard is not acceptable.

Fair enough :) I'd never use it myself anyway, just wanted to state my opinion :) Though I still stand by my... err... stance that flaming and piling on the negative reputation points is excessive for something that can probably be sorted out in a polite PM.

Well no, I wouldn't. But then describing something in those terms has never really been considered acceptable whereas the use of "gay" (or "ghey") as a derogatory term is (whether we like it or not) becoming more socially acceptable, especially amongst youngsters.

I don't half feel old, using the word "youngsters" when I'm only 22.

you could just go over to ASCUK theres no cencoring they use common sence and treat you like an adult, provided you dont ask stupid questions youl get on fine.

That or you could use both. ;)

Common sense is quite subjective - I think that most of the Admins / Moderators here would probably argue that rules here are based upon the process as well.

Individuals here are treated like an adult also, until such a time as they prove otherwise. There is a mass preconception fuelled by a degree of ignorance and a degree of pettiness that all individuals who are members here are immature, children, etc etc, but I think such simplistic viewpoints say more about the individuals who hold them, rather than anything else.

As far as I'm concerned all of the forums have their places. They all have their unique approaches. I consider none of them better than the other. I simply post here more than on ASCUK for example because when I started in airsofting, all of my long term friends from elsewhere were members here also (and also because my home connection doesn't seem to agree with the ASCUK forums).

And as for the word 'gay' - well, the only individuals who seem to use that in a derogatory way appear to be those who are highly immature. I don't know where that is considered approprioate use of the word, but I think our attitude towards not tolerating such immature usages says a great deal for the ethos here, and not a great deal for wherever does.

I really dont know how to state this correctly. But i really dont think that its fair for someone to -1 you when you make an opinion on something, especially when the topic is, what do you think about this or how do you like this... 

here is the post in question

man, thats gay i was looking forward to a tipmann airsoft gun.

yeah i could of used better words but this is no reason to go and -1 a person in my opinion.  <_<

I just think that this gets out of hand sometimes. Its abuse of powers in my judgement.

But in the end the point that i am trying to get across is that there should be a section made just for rants/complaints.

You know, what you could also do is simply apologize. From your post, it seems you understand that you used a derogatory term. I honestly don't think you deserve two negative reputation points by stating your opinion, using the word "gay." I'm sure you weren't insulting homosexuals directly, but simply using the word as description.

However, you're probably mature enough to know that the word shouldn't be used loosely. You could've editted your post, apologized, and probably get +1 points back.

You know, what you could also do is simply apologize.  From your post, it seems you understand that you used a derogatory term.  I honestly don't think you deserve two negative reputation points by stating your opinion, using the word "gay."  I'm  sure you weren't insulting homosexuals directly, but simply using the word as description. 

However, you're probably mature enough to know that the word shouldn't be used loosely.  You could've editted your post, apologized, and probably get +1 points back.

Your correct i do understand that it was the incorrect term to use. And i will apologize now and correct my post. I will never use that word as a insult again.

Edit.

I just tried to go and correct my post and it would not let me.

and also i dont know if the admins. or mods. have the power to do this but if the word offends people why dont they just block it?

Edited by frontplayer15
I just tried to go and correct my post and it would not let me.

Theres a limit on how long you can Edit a post, about an hour iirc

and also i dont know if the admins. or mods. have the power to do this but if the word offends people why dont they just block it?

Possibly because its not always used as a curse(although neither is the short form of Richard) and people should be aware that they are responsible for there own actions and useing any word in an offensive context is not a good habit

Oh, ENOUGH.

When the rep system was down, people complained.

Now that it's back, people complain.

Just accept the system for what it is - a harmless distraction, a number on the internet.

If you're really that worried about it, I'd suggest you re-evaluate your priorities in life REALLY quickly.

Thread closed.