I recently picked up a Samurai O.P. Scope for my MP7. I wanted a small, low profile, open RDS similar to the one seen on the MP7 in HL2 and photos of the PDW prototype. This one seemed to fit the bill.

MP7 with sight fitted.

DSCN0002.sized.jpg

One of the reasons I wanted a sight like this was so I could remove the (awesome) MP7 iron sights when using the gun with my Guarder Tornado Holster. It works well in this situation. However if you wish to leave the sights on, they can be co-witnessed with the Samurai OP RDS when they're in the low position. When set to the high position, they clear the top of the sight.

It's also a great sight for the P90. I tried it on my TR briefly and it seems to be just the right size and height so as to be easily viewable without throwing off the balance of the gun. Really this is a great sight for any application that can benefit from a light weight, low profile sight.

Overall it seems well designed and built. It features an ambient light sensor (hereafter 'ALS') which automatically dims the LED in low light conditions. It's quickly and easily mountable thanks to a thumbscrew. It comes with an allen key (for accessing the battery compartment), a small flathead screwdriver (for adjusting the elevation and windage), a spare battery (nice since the pre-installed one was dead out of the box), a cover (more on this later), and a cleaning cloth. One thing conspicuously absent is an on/off switch.

The cover is useful not only for protecting the sight when not in use but also because it covers the ALS. Putting the cover on will cause the LED to run at a lower brightness prolonging the runtime. If you're going to put the gun down for a little while then simply putting on the cover should be fine. However if you're not going to use the sight for a while it would be wise to remove the battery to avoid running it down.

The battery is accessed by removing the two allen screws from the top of the unit. The mount base can then be separated from the sight, exposing the battery underneath.

When zeroing the sight be sure to loosen the two lock screws at the back of the unit.

A close up of the front of the sight. Note the ALS, the small hole under the lens.

DSCN0006.sized.jpg

The back side. Note the two lock screws on the back face.

DSCN0008.sized.jpg

I've found the red dot to be bright and clear. I have not had a chance to properly zero it (though I did roughly adjust it at a short range) or use it outside. Still, I think it will work out well. I've looking forward to trying it out more thoroughly soon. I'll update after I get the chance.

Samurai O.P. Scope, $74:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...Reddot%20Scopes

King Arms Red-Dot Reflex Sight, $74 (It's probably made by the same OEM - it looks identical, costs the same, and it comes with the same accessories.):

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...Reddot%20Scopes

Comments and questions are welcome.

I have one as well, except mine's on my M4 on top of the First Factory QD mount base. Works and looks great. Although I don't think the red dot ever fully goes off. As a result, I have found my batteries go dead relatively quickly. Also, the red dot is barely visible in darker situations to the point where it isn't as quick to aim with as you have to momentarily adjust your eyes and find the dot.

~Tyler

• 2 weeks later...
How does it working in low light conditions?

Works fine.

Wow nice SPC, what mag is that?

Thanks. That's a Bushmaster ten round mag. Stupid pointless CA assault weapons legislation...

A protective shield is highly recommended because these dots are prone to breaking. Even a mid-range shot can destroy the lens completely...

Yeah, that's why coming up with a solution for that is on my agenda. Still, it'd have to be one hell of a shot to hit this tiny thing, that's for sure.

Edited by staticzero

Hi Static,

Just though I'd add my experience with mine.

I've found that the dot on mine appears to be out of focus when i focus on the target downrange. I can't remember if it was always like this, because i recently switched from a mesh mask to goggles.

Maybe my one is a dud?

Having said that though it's still good enough for CQB which is what i'm using it for for the moment.

Oh and the protective perspex i put on the front has already been cracked by a shot and the site limit is strict 328!!!! so i put two layers of it on just in case.

Yeah, that's why coming up with a solution for that is on my agenda. Still, it'd have to be one hell of a shot to hit this tiny thing, that's for sure.

had a holosight on my 18c at arm's length. badasstranaut returned fire at me through a hole in the wall at the test games before AG05 and managed to hit through my holosight, and shatter the glass and then onto my face... some blood but it was ok... the £6 shooting glasses from AS works good if you ask me :P

Ive seen these "piggy-backed" on ACOGs, is there a way to do this with this sight?

Your best bet is to buy the new G&P ACOG that comes with the dummy sight on top and replace your dummy sight with this one. I checked and finding such a mount is really hard since there's no airsoft version of the mount and the real one costs as much as the red dot.

• 2 weeks later...
If not and you have an ACOG already, you can buy one of the replica OP sights that come with the mount (i.e. this one - $26) , then get the Samurai or KA scope and fit to the ACOG  :)

for anyone wondering if it would work well it doesn't work good at all. I bought the dummy scope and the reddot scope from Samurai and they're not the exact same size so the Samurai reddot is not held well in place. I decided to keep the dummy scope on my ACOG and keep the reddot for whenever I'll end up needing it.

I've been looking at getting one of these as it's quite a nice looking Docter sightish replica. As for those curious if it has an off feature, I've read that it has an auto on/off feature, meaning it will turn off when the scope cover is placed on, and also has a auto brightness control which adjusts to the surrounding light intensity. Can anyone confirm this?

My questions are, how long does the battery last, is the brightness on par with other red dots such as the G&P Aimpoint, and does it zero well? Better yet, how does it compare to the G&P Aimpoint?

Edited by davedawg123

You are correct, there is a little sensor on the front that adjusts the brightness to light. IE it gets brighter when it sense more light, and less bright in low light situations. It is supposed to shut off when the cap is placed on it because it cuts off light to the sensor. But I kind of have a sneaking suspision this doesn't actually happen. As for zeroing, it's a piece of cake and is very adustable. It was a piece of cake to zero it on my M4.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the G&P Aimpoint.

~Tyler

Yes, and it remains slightly on. All in all, the battery went dead about month after I got it. Used it for two skirmishes. Considering that it also spent time in a shop before it got to me, I'd say the battery lasts a REALLY long time if you just take out the battery when you're done using it. Only problem with that is you'd have to re-zero for every skirmish for sure. The good is the construction seems sound. I'm not the biggest fan of the way it mounts, it's just a typical cheap rail mount for airsoft and wish it were more like the Doctor Optics one. Also someone said in this thread that the lens is easy to break. I like it a lot though. Low profile, very small. Works great on the Nitro quick detach rail and co-witnesses with my BUIS perfectly. That pretty much sums it up. I'll try and get a picture of it on my gun this weekend.

~Tyler

Cool, I was worried it lasted for like an hour. :)

And as for the possibly damaged lenses, I've read that these scopes come with a lifetime warranty. Any word on whether a damaged lens is covered in the warranty?

Edited by davedawg123