this is my first model, its nowhere near as detailed as most of yours, and is of a custom designed gun, not a real gun. also, only the grip is textured.

the gun is poorly made too, as ive used boolean functions to remove the holes in the barrel, the cylinder that holds the bullets, and the metal that goes around the barrel. the boolean functions in blender arnt perfect, and cause glitches in the model, as well as sometimes add way more polygons then actuly needed.

As for the grip looking a bit weird, i wanting the grip to be longer and straighter the normal revolvers to give it a unique look, it didnt turn out too bad, but im not great at designing things without a reference, and without having the weapon in real life, its hard to get the curves right.

post-7611-1152139217_thumb.jpg

post-7611-1152139229_thumb.jpg

post-7611-1152139244_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dist
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are pretty sweet Ravizzone.

When you guys model these, do you all build these from scratch using 3D software or CAD software? The level of detail in some of these models are astonishing. Very impressive indeed.

Those are pretty sweet Ravizzone.

When you guys model these, do you all build these from scratch using 3D software or CAD software? The level of detail in some of these models are astonishing. Very impressive indeed.

Thanks. Well you have to build them from scratch. I use a modeling program called 3ds max. Basically you take a box or a cylinder or whatever it may be, and tou cut it up into sections. These sections are known as polygons. Whenever the edges of these edges meet that point is called a vertex. What you do to model is take either the edge of a polygon, a vertex or a polygon itself and move it, scale it, or rotate it, to manipulate the object into the desired shape. That is a VERY simple explanation of what modeling is, but it gives you an idea of how it is done. Cad software is usually used for things that you are going to machine, not game stuff or CGI.

Edited by [H&K]Ravizzone

Ah, I see.

I have experience with 3D CAD for projects I've worked on and the process is quite tedious since every part has to be machineable and dimensionally accurate in order to be assembled properly and function in the real world. I'd imagine that 3D modeling software would be a little more forgiving since detailed engineering analysis isn't really necessary since the model is essentially just a skin. But it still looks like it would be fun to make one of these!

Anyways, kudos for the hard work!

Ah, I see.

I have experience with 3D CAD for projects I've worked on and the process is quite tedious since every part has to be machineable and dimensionally accurate in order to be assembled properly and function in the real world. I'd imagine that 3D modeling software would be a little more forgiving since detailed engineering analysis isn't really necessary since the model is essentially just a skin. But it still looks like it would be fun to make one of these!

Anyways, kudos for the hard work!

Well the complexity in 3d modeling for games is rigging, animating, unwrapping, and texturing. While for CGI it is rendering, camera work, making high poly models, unwrapping, texturing, and animating.

Yeah, no doubt both CAD and modeling require quite a bit of work. The 3D CAD software I used also had a 3D renderer and animator built into it. Pretty damn cool and addicting stuff. I would play with the renderer and animator for hours, rendering my projects using different types of materials such as different kinds of metals/plastics/wood under different lighting and backgrounds, and create assembly/disassembly/motion videos of how they functioned for presentations of the projects. It's amazing what's possible with computers these days.

Edited by davedawg123

Actually, you can import CAD models into 3ds max. They're made by the same company or something like that. Anyway, I usually use box modeling, which involves extruding and beveling faces. It's quite a bit easier. (and more fun too!)

Nice M4 Ravvizone, it looks kinda chunky for some reason but I really like it. How many polys?

Actually, you can import CAD models into 3ds max.  They're made by the same company or something like that.  Anyway, I usually use box modeling, which involves extruding and beveling faces.  It's quite a bit easier. (and more fun too!)

Nice M4 Ravvizone, it looks kinda chunky for some reason but I really like it.  How many polys?

It probably seems chunky because of the big handguard with the rail running along the top, and the 20 round mag and stuff. However the actual m4 model is pretty much an exact replica.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...