problem with hippiehater44

Death By Cadbury

then maybe we should have a minimum age rule for US sales threads where folks have to spell it out if they're under the legal age to enter a binidng contract and have their parents carry out the deal and take responsibility for the description/condition. As it stands this is just a mess

The other problem in a lot of these disputes is that the seller has spent the cash on something else, before the buyer has signed off on the item and then cant refund easily

If a seller doesnt have the cash to refund a buyer then FFS sellers screw the nut -dont spend the cash they've sent you till they've had at least a day to examine the item!

Buyer gets item confirms it works and is in external condition described sorted seler can consider the cash theirs

Buyer doesnt feel item is as described fine have them return it (at their expense) and refund the cash. No need for haggles parcial refunds etc just advertise it again

After all, if it is in condition described and a fair price then seller wont have a problem getting a second buyer.

That sort of policy is as much in sellers interest as buyers - it avoids the scmmer who buys a gun on basis he'll be able to invent a bundle of imaginary faults and chisel half the cost back off the seller for replacement parts. If its down to 'like it keep it dont like it return it' then that sort of twat isnt going to waste time trying it on.

points arent aimed at anyone on this thread just a general observation

I would support a minimum age, but there is no good way to verify this.  It would require arnies to have a credit card on file for all sellers (or some such verification method).

not really - if they tell buyer theyre only 14/15/17 and 3 quarters after having made a sale on basis they're over 18 and dont need a parent to take responsibility for it, then they get banzorred. Not ideal but avoids second offences.

A quick aside here.

I've made numerous trades on here and other forums, going both ways. Many of these have been with under-18s, and I am under 18 myself.

I've never taken it upon myself to deceive another person, and as far as I can remember, I've never been 'had' by another under-18 either.

Implementing an age restriction would be dumb. It'd remove a MASSIVE amount of RESPONSIBLE traders from the forums. If trades with one person continually go bad, deal with said person. Don't, however, penalise all people in a certain group because of the wrong-doings of a tiny minority. It's the same situation with the VCR Bill at the moment, and there seem to be an awful lot of people willing to jump to the aid of people trying to block that, yet are the first to jump on the idea of restricted trading.

spoke to hippiehater on the phone.

he says now that they are going to pay the airsmith to finish repairs on the gun, because the retailer who sold him the gun originally is stepping up and offering to reimburse him the repair cost.

Ill keep this thread updated to let everyone know what happens.

Im asking a moderator to remove the negative rep points I gave him, but Id like it known that at this point he has not yet paid anything, and if he goes back on his word the negative rep will be replaced.

A quick aside here.

I've made numerous trades on here and other forums, going both ways. Many of these have been with under-18s, and I am under 18 myself.

I've never taken it upon myself to deceive another person, and as far as I can remember, I've never been 'had' by another under-18 either.

but you're in the UK - you are legally responsible for the contracts you enter into regardless of being under 18 In the US an under 18 cannot enter into a binding contract

theres nothign in what i suggested that would stop an under 18 in the US from trading on the forums they'd just need to make it clear that they personally are under 18 and that their parent(s) will be carrying out the deal on their behalf (and thus taking responsibility if it goes tits up)

if they lie and claim to be over 18 to avoid that, claim its their parents handling the deal etc and then turn round when a deal goes wrong and say sorry im only X-years of age I lied on the forums i pretended it was my parents taking care of the deal then they get shown the door (in much same way as an underage person trading on the UK forums would be dealt with trying to buy age restricted items like blank firers should it turn out they're pretending to be older than they really are)

BZZT! Wrong. Under 18s cannot enter legally binding contracts. Try getting a credit card when you're sixteen.

:zorro:

did i mention finance/ongoing commitments? - 16 year olds can get married, likewise insure a vehicle (moped) at 16 and insure a car etc at 17

If they cannot enter into a one time deal where they sell an item and be legally expected to honour it (if it doesnt meet description etc) then fair enough I stand corrected = apply it to uk sellers too Deals go thru a parent who can be held responsible in event of a dispute Otherwise there would appear nothing to stop a 16 year old from describing a 5 quid springer as a GBB etc

Archived