Does anyone have any experience with the King Arms full and half-face masks? I've read the comments on Arnie's review board, but I wanted to double-check for a second opinion.

Basically, I'm trying to find a way to insure the integrity of my teeth - I already wear a mouthguard as it is. I intend to use my ESS V12 Advancers with this getup.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on making one, I'm all ears.

Edited by vgdailynews01

I havnt personally used one but my team captain uses a half face one for CQB. He loves it, he hasnt said anything bad about it at all. But I recommend face masks only in CQB if you can help it. woodland is at too long of ranges to do alot of damage. but if you hate red marks on your face then by all means buy it. Hope this helps alittle if any. just working off what a teammate said.

I have the King Arms one (Half face)

Doesn't fog my Bolle T800s nor Oakley Mag M-Frames in the HONG KONG weather if it's worn correctly and you breath in a way that allows most of the exhaled air to leave through the hole in the front. It isn't honestly that difficult to do.

I only use it for CQB though. Always just sunglasses in Woodland, FIBUA even.

I use the Kings arms half face mask in cqb and find it comfortable to wear and it seems to absorb a lot of the force from hits to the face, and I don't recall ever feeling pain from a-close hit. The only thing is it can cause my Bolle glasses to fog when the de-fogger stops working.

Keep in mind our UK FPS limits are much less than yours but...

The neoprene face masks do a great job (I've got the half one). I wear mine slightly lowered, so my nose is exposed and any oral breathing is done through the little hole. Doesn't fog my goggles up at all and still protects the bottom half of my face.

They are fantastic at protecting your face, but they get VERY hot.

That's not necessarily a problem. The integrity of my teeth is the overwhelming factor in all this.

This next idea sounds a little crazy, but it’s fairly inexpensive experiment. I’m pondering getting the half-face neoprene mask and having a friend stitch in a small pocket where I can slip in a plastic shield with slits. The shield would be probably being slightly larger than an open mouth – the most probable vector for an uninterrupted BB to do damage.

The advantages of this, in theory, would be lightweight protection that’d be perfect for goggles and be better than the comparatively soft protection of the neoprene alone.

I’m going through a lot of trouble to get comfortable prescription eye protection, but it’s –fruitcaging- worth it.

I’ll stop the moment someone points me towards a paintball mask that won’t shove my eyeglasses’ nose pads into my eye sockets. Oh, and doesn’t fog either.

The 'plastic shield' idea is pushing it really, unless you're playing at an extremely CQB field with guns shooting 450+fps. The neoprene really does a good job (better than I first thought) and will never allow a BB to even reach your teeth let alone harm them.

As for goggles that go with prescriptions, try the ESS Land goggles. Supposedly fit quite comfortably over glasses.

The 'plastic shield' idea is pushing it really, unless you're playing at an extremely CQB field with guns shooting 450+fps. The neoprene really does a good job (better than I first thought) and will never allow a BB to even reach your teeth let alone harm them.

As for goggles that go with prescriptions, try the ESS Land goggles. Supposedly fit quite comfortably over glasses.

One step ahead. I've got a $20 pair of ESS NVG Profiles headed my way, complete with a $5 Rx adapter. And FogTech works wonders.

Did you know:

If you buy the wire (not nylon) Rx inserts, you are good for the ICE glasses, V12 -and- NVGs? All that you need to buy are the little plastic attachments. The nylon inserts (U.S.-issue approved) will fit only in the ICE and NVG.

at CQB ranges, masks work fantastic

for woodland, get a boonie with an attached face veil, i havent met any gun that can push netting out of the way for 4-6 inches of space and still hurt when it finally reaches you.

• 3 months later...
Are there masks made out of any other material that are good? Is the King Arms mask the "best"?

KA aren't the only people that mak the neoprene masks but I don't think that there are any other masks made of similar materials (Except other neoprene ones as I just mentioned) but my KA mask just arrived earlier today and it seems pretty good quality.

Hope this helps!

i bought mine off ebay. it's a neoprene half face mask with neck bit that you tuck in under the collar of your shirt. that bit is so wide it covers my collarbones too. it's designed for motor cyclists and it's much cheaper than the ones i've seen for sale (KA and other neoprene face masks)

that definately gets very hot if i was to use it anything warmer than 15*c

but then again if i need to use that, i wont complain about how hot it gets.

as for fogging up.

a drop or two of washing up liquid on a piece of tissue and rub the hell outta the inside of your lens, you're all good to go.

you think im crazy right? there're more people that does this than you'd think...

just keep rubbing the washing up liquid until it doesnt smear anymore... (so there is such a thin film of that soap you wont notice it and stops fogging up)

if you dont believe me, try it out on a cheap crappy pair of glasses, any glasses... takes 2-3 mins to do my bolle x800s and even less time for my guarder glasses

edit:

jeza, they'll do just fine seeing as it's designed for low temp. it should be fairly thick.

what you might wanna do is get a knife (not joking) cut very small slits (just under a cm at a time) around the face to give ventilation but not too much so that a high velocity surface to air BB manages to squeeze in the gaps you've made. but it's a very low chance for that to happen but yeh i've done that to my one around the mouth and upper lip area. much better ventilation...

as long as it's a bit of neoprene, it's a bit of armour that can take the majority of the impact away from incoming BBs. like i've said mine's designed for motorcyclists...

and what's gonna stop you from making one for yourself from an old wet suit? you can even make one so that you can put the breathing holes EXACTLY where you want it.

Edited by urban-ninja
i couldnt justify the price of the KA one, so I searched ebay 'neoprene face mask' and found a really nice camo one.

It works just as well, Ive taken hits to the face and not felt it.

exactly my point ;)

ebay ftw!

the ebay ones usually tend to sell around £10. if you're lucky you might find one without a buy it now option and you COULD get it pretty cheap... (not many people know about a neoprene face mask let alone having a need to buy one)