Slide of Glock

Zero_DgZ

I wouldn't post about buying another airsoft gun normally because of the expected reaction (who cares) but I just had to share this extra special brand of dim I encountered at the shop.

I got some rebates back that I basically skimmed from work burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided that I needed a new pistol (as being down to one GBB is the pits, let me tell you). I decided I've had enough Glocks and Berettas for a while, and I was thinking about a 1911 sort of arrangement, preferably a compact. So I went to Shorty USA (they're in my area, and the stupid deserve no protection whatsoever) and looked at the KWA 945 and the HFC/WE/PHX/Whoever Baby Hicapa.

So I'm checking out the KWA 945 and mention to the saleskid behind the counter that it has a plastic slide, which is odd for stateside KWA guns as most of them make it over here with a metal variant. I point out that the slide catch is starting to wear out its notch in the slide because it's metal and the slide is ABS. The guy shrugs and says that he's never had a problem with plastic slided guns, and he seems pretty adamant that I buy the (more expensive) KWA instead of the HFC. I told him that me and plastic slides historically haven't gotten along too well, and if I get the KWA I'll have to get a metal slide for it. Just sort of making conversation. Or a possible add on sale! Sheesh.

He then gets indignant for some reason and feels the need to inform me that plastic slides are just peachy, because "real Glocks even have plastic slides".

At this point I lost control of all tact and laughed in his face. It took me a while to compose myself. We went back and forth for a while as I tried to convey to him that no, regardless of what he saw in Die Hard 2, Glocks have metal slides and rails just like everything else. Only the frame is plastic. He would have none of it. Never mind the fact that I've handled them extensively and have friends that own them. Nope, the facts mean nothing to this guy.

It's on him to be ignorant. But jesus, that sort of thing just scares me for some reason. I mean, this is the level of brainpower that we're dealing with in this country...

Anyway, I bought the HFC. Turns out I knew more about both of those guns than he did (including how to strip them and where the hopup adjustment was on the HFC, which he claimed had none). It's a very nice airsoft pistol and I'll probably be putting about a zillion and six rounds through it this weekend.

It just... still cracks me up.

I usually have to say that I actually own a Glock myself and show them the licence before they believe that 83% (by weight) of Glock pistols is steel. Steel steel steel. But they admit in the end that Glocks are made of steel. Then they usually say that the porcelain/ceramic/plastic Glock 7 was "a secret prototype" and never made it to mass production. It's funny how all the shooters I know together have never seen even a picture of one of these "mystic secret guns", and Glock doesn't admit ever making them. But every other yahoo on the streets and in pubs knows about it. They know it exists.

Laughing in their face gives an arrogant impression and makes them stick to their opinion even harder. I always try to go through the effort of explaining the truth in a calm manner.

-Sale

I don't own a CCW nor a real Glock at the moment. I wish I did, even though bringing a real firearm into an airsoft shop (unloaded, of course) is a little sketchy. Maybe I could just bring in the slide...

But yeah. I'd doubt you could have kept your cool with this yahoo, either. The line about the Glock slides was just the punchline in the conversation I had with this guy. I wish I had a tape recorder running during the conversation or something.

Archived