WE/PHX Baby Hicapa Trademarks

Zero_DgZ

So. I just bought a shiny new PHX Baby Hicapa. I like it very much. This should not be news.

However, what I do not like is the insipid inscription on the left side of the slide that reads in big fugly letters "BABY HI-CAPA 3.8". My aim is to remove said inscription (though the "45 Cal." on the right side is just peachy by me).

Has anyone ever attempted this or been sucessful without buggering the finish beneath the lettering? I would imagine that the lettering is silkscreened on with some sort of ink - Undoubtedly different from the enameled finish covering the rest of the gun. It doesn't feel like any sort of inlay or engraving (plus, that'd be expensive...) so I imagine with the right sort of abrasion or preferably the right sort of solvent it could be coerced into coming off.

Any ideas?

Well, here at work I have limited materials but I just tried stepping up the Solvent Nastiness Scale and came up with the following:

Denatured alcohol: No results.

Mineral spirits: No results.

Naptha: Removed a trace amount of black finish, possibly grime. No effect on the lettering.

Acetone: Turned cloth grey with what is presumably the black finish. No effect on the lettering...

So far no dice.

Try that stuff that is used for dissolving/killing rust. It some sort of acid that I know destroys parkerising on guns and burns your skin in the sense that it turns it white like you've just touched something very hot.

I can't remember the name but I think it starts with Tri... something * and comes in a black, cylindrical, shampoo type, squeezy bottle and is a white semi liquid type paste.

No guarantee that it wont affect the paint/anodising underneath!

Another option would be to try and scrape the logos off with a razor blade at a very shallow angle.

Maybe Carbon Tetrachloride if you can get hold of it but remember it is lethal.

*EDIT: Just checked and the rust remover I was thinking of is 'Jenolite'.

Egh. Carbon tet is nasty stuff.

I think I may try the razorblade angle, but preferably I'd do it after I find something to refinish the slide with that won't look horrible first (just in case). Are these things hosed down with regular model paint or what? Maybe automotive paint would be a good bet...

Hmm.

Archived