Time to buy ACOG for the SA80

According to Janes defence weekly the MOD is planning on scrapping the SUSAT and is going to buy the ACOG TA31RCO 4x32 sight.

Shame for all those who have just bought the STAR scope.

The SUSAT was exempt from the H&K revamp, so now to save on a whopping 137 grams. it looks like it will be phased out and the american scope is favourite to take its place.

I'm not sure the SA80 will look right without the SUSAT, anyone agree?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But isn't this just a waste of money? There's nothing really that wrong with the SUSAT is there? Wouldn't it be money better spent making sure all our troops are equipped with the right protective gear, such as EBAs etc?

There's nothing really that wrong with the SUSAT is there?

As a layman, who knows nothing about guns, scopes or the defence industry, I'd hazard this guess; the SUSAT is over 20 year's old, and this is the Army we're talking about, not the Lower Wallop Re-enactment Society. The fact they still use webbing is really a bit of an embarassment in the year 2006.

i'm sure there was talk of replacing the whole l85/sa80 family in the near future. while the ACOG would be able to be switched over to any other rifle with an ris (if the mod get adapters for the sa80) it still seems a waste of money overall

Who cares?

If your life depended on a scope, wouldn't you rather have a better one?

Therefore, if it's better, it's worth the aesthetic 'cost'.

well I've had no experience where I've depended on a scope to save my life but I can see your point HaVoc, it just seems a waste of money to buy new scopes when the old ones do the job fine, and if you are going to say that I don't know what I'm talkin about because i haven't shot one, I have.

Do the British army use ELCANS on the c8?

Supposedly they actually do (I posted a while back that I didn't think that the Brits did (Oz and Kiwis definitely do) but apparently I was wrong. :D) Again, this info could be right or utter cobblers, caveat reader as ever...

Some of the things I've read/heard suggests that the ACOG has a more favourable reputation than does the ELCAN in a number of quarters... Apparently TA31s have been on trials by the Brits for some time.. (Norman Stanley ACOG, you are an habitual criminal.. etc. etc.)

We should replace them all with Tasco red-dots. If only because it'll round my kit out nicely.

Supposedly they actually do (I posted a while back that I didn't think that the Brits did (Oz and Kiwis definitely do) but apparently I was wrong. :D

I never said they didn't, just that in the few smudged, out-of-focus, dubious, Delta-force zomg!!111 photos I've seen, they've had an ACOG on top. Of course, it could all just be Joel Wannabe prancing about on his roof, and in fact you can buy a used ELCAN in Hereford for the price of a packet of pork scratchings.

We should replace them all with Tasco red-dots. If only because it'll round my kit out nicely.

I never said they didn't, just that in the few smudged, out-of-focus, dubious, Delta-force zomg!!111 photos I've seen, they've had an ACOG on top. Of course, it could all just be Joel Wannabe prancing about on his roof, and in fact you can buy a used ELCAN in Hereford for the price of a packet of pork scratchings.

You should see what else you can get for the price of a packet of pork scratchings in Hereford... a packet of pork scratchings for a start!

Mmm... salty and fattening.. nice with Guinness...

Anyway, Tasco red dots FTW and spend the money thus saved on giving our troops bionic eyes!

According to Janes defence weekly the MOD is planning on scrapping the SUSAT and is going to buy the ACOG TA31RCO 4x32 sight.

Shame for all those who have just bought the STAR scope.

The SUSAT was exempt from the H&K revamp, so now to save on a whopping 137 grams. it looks like it will be phased out and the american scope is favourite to take its place.

I'm not sure the SA80 will look right without the SUSAT, anyone agree?

Have you got a link there mate?

When was the last time to fired an L85A2? They're very good now. And the SUSAT has always been one of in not the best sight for an assault rifle.

The L85A2 may have been improved to decent assault rifle. Especially because the design concept is good. It was just built poorly. But the SUSAT is far from the best sight. Especially with the ACOG as a comparison. It's not the optics that are bad, but that it has a terrible field of view. Personally, I would take the ACOG any day over the SUSAT. MY airsoft one actually has one. I sold the SUSAT the day after I received it.

...and if you are going to say that I don't know what I'm talkin about because i haven't shot one, I have.

So have I (albeit on a range, and not in Iraq pointing at some silly little Jihadi b*stard) :P

I found the eye relief terrible - it just didn't work for me. Granted, the ACOG has short eye relief too, but I still found/find (I have one on my M15) it better than the SUSAT.

I'd guess that as the tritium runs out on the current SUSATs, and they need to replace them anyway, the ACOG comes in cheaper. Tritium has a half-life of something like 15 years so it'd make sense.

Archived