STTI M4 Review!

NOTE: OK, as this is my first review, if I get anything wrong or miss something out, let me know please!

I will be reviewing the Full Metal STTi M4. Bought it from airsoft armoury on sale for £150.

Firstly, some piccies (bear with me due to the picture-per-post limit, and the shakey hands...). I won't be taking the gear-box apart or anything silly like that as im not all that confident in doing so :D

The Box:

DSCF0017.JPG

Has a pic of the gun on the front, along with a few warnings and info (i.e. Contains a hi-cap mag and info on the hop-up).

The Gun:

DSCF0019.JPG

Held in the box with a plastic surround. Note I have put the tape on the mag to help differenciate from my mid-caps I bought. This does not come on the gun.

A few leaflets that came with it (Plus my very own sexeh foot):

DSCF0020.JPG

Shows all the spare parts that will be availiable, plus the instructions (in engrish, but understandable). Also, in the instructions it states it comes with a "Precision tight bore barrel". Doubt it will be 6.04mm though.

Edited by ƒoo

Markings:

DSCF0023.JPG

DSCF0026.JPG

DSCF0027.JPG

As far as I could get the hop-up chamber open. Im sure with some lubing it will come a bit further as i cant get at the wheel properly:

DSCF0031.JPG

Removable Carry Handle to reveal a 20mm rail:

DSCF0032.JPG

OK, thats the picature fundom over with. From what I can tell, the build quality is excellent. Ive held both ICS and CA M4s, and I'd say it wasn't too far off ICS. The grip plastic is strong (both forward and pistol).

I can't decide whether it has a 14mm thread if the flash-hider is screwed off, as I don;t wanna force it too much. It looks like it might do though.

Ive not shot it yet (battery will be charged up tomorrow), but as i have nothing to compare it too and no chrono, its probably a bit pointless and just the same as every other review you've read.

Anything else you wanna know?

Yes there is a 14mm thread, thanks Carrion.

Bob The Angry Potato - I'm not really all that confident in ripping the gearbox apart, but after firing it the other day, I did encounter some double-feeding when using the STTi mag on Semi. Full auto seemed great and makes a good noise (not as beasty as the ICS, but good).

I think this may have been down to the mag so im gonna test it with my Marui soon.

Going to phoenix urban tomorrow, so will update on monday.

Erm? Any update? Curious to know how it all went. The other STTI review was good too but I want to hear it from a wide variety of peoples perspectives! This gun is on the list as a project gun soon, but as usuall Money is short :)

Update us!!:!:!!! :D

Okies, sorry for the delay. Took it to Pheonix airsoft on the 7th, and it was FANTASTIC.

I had pretty low expectations for 150 quid, but it held its own with the rest of them!

Problems: I am having problems fixing the hop, as the dust cover wont come back far enough for me to adjust it. Also, I was being a ###### with it and the fuse blew due to a jam in the mechbox (i think). I can't strip the gun to sort it as the rear body pin won't come out!

Sending it back to Airsoft Armoury to fix tomorrow. They seem ok with it so ill update (yet again) when it gets back).

Don;t let the problems dissuade you though. By comparing it to other guns etc the general consesus was it shot at around 280fps, with decent range and accuracy. (Ive fired CA's that are less accurate).

It really held its own (bearing in mind too that i was opposite Team Pheonix with thier seriously suspicious fps limits). Great gun and if given the chance again i'd still buy it.

Thought I'd post this in yours instead of mine.

The cocking handle on mine pulls the fake plastic bolt assembly back 20mm, just enough to expose the hop up wheel thingy with a small cog type thing behind it but slight higher. A mate of mine also bought the M4 Tactical Carbine and his cocking handle also pulls the plastic bolt assembly back to the same distance. I've got loads of pictures showing how far everything goes back but alas, unable to upload.

Fuse wise, I had been told by the chaps at AA that it is probably best to stick 30amp fuses in there instead of the standard 15amp. Problem is my local Maplins don't sell 30amps, only 15's. So it might be worth your while to buy a box of 15's, only about £1.50 for a box of 6.

Steve.

Just in case anyone has missed it, these are the SRC Armalite series, they are just DISTRIBUTED by STTI, and sometimes re-branded as such.

STTI does this with all of it's products.

So this is the same as the SRC on UNco?

No wonder I was having a tough time looking for an STTI M4

:headbutt:

Fuse wise, I had been told by the chaps at AA that it is probably best to stick 30amp fuses in there instead of the standard 15amp. Problem is my local Maplins don't sell 30amps, only 15's. So it might be worth your while to buy a box of 15's, only about £1.50 for a box of 6.

Steve.

You might want to open up your GB and make sure it's shimmed correctly - it shouldn't need a 30A fuse unless you're pulling a veeeeeeeery high spring.

So this is the same as the SRC on UNco?

No wonder I was having a tough time looking for an STTI M4

:headbutt:

It is indeed.

In the interests of a tidy forum, I hope you don't mind me adding my two pence worth...

My dust cover also won't slide back easily as far as it should, but heaving on the cocking bar will move it back, but then the spring isn't strong enough to pull the cocking bar back. However a steady push works nicely.

(Incidently, the cover works perfectly well in the plastic bodied versions)

Compared to my CA, I've found it has less range, but also less fps (logical, huh?)

Certainly nicely made and as rigid as you would expect. The gearbox appearance from simply removing the receiver top is as per Marui standards with no nasty sanding/ linishing marks that you get on some lesser brands.

The mag(s) are a tad hit and miss, no worse than some of my CA ones, but not as good as Marui.

Finish is excellent, better than my CA were the paint seems to rub off just by looking at it.

Definately worth the money, but for a little more you could have got a CA with a higher fps.