Okey Dokey. Thought it would be best to do a full review of the above in the readers review section so as not to clog up the General section.

I bought from Airsoft Armouries:

1 x STTi M4 933 Carbine £114.99 (complete with standard 300 round mag and bits and bobs).

1 x spare G&G 450 round mag for £2 (It looks as though they sold the extra mag for £2 without realising it. I think it should have cost about £20ish).

1 x Charger £9.99 (Which no longer works. Will need to contact them about that).

1 x 8.4volt 1100mAH GP Nimh battery £32.99.

Right, here goes.

STTi M4 933 Carbine (ABS and Metal)

At a glance:

Arrived on Thursday 4th May. At first appearance it looks very smart. Everything all lined up and correct. No unslightly gaps between the recievers ect. It is advertised on Wolf Armouries as having an FPS of around the 260-280 mark, whereas Airsoft Armouries reckon it kicks out at just under 300.

Handling

There is absolutely no creaking or wobbling whatsoever, especially the barrel area. Everything is as solid as a rock. I even tried to use a bit of pressure to see if the barrel flexed either way and it wouldn't budge one bit. Obviously if I'd put too much pressure on it, it would have snapped off, but so would any other airsoft gun. On further inspection it looks as though there is some kind of steel rod going right through the upper reciever and down the full length of the barrel to prevent any barrel movement. Suprisingly theres a fair old bit of weight to it. Something that everyone at the site commented on when they had a feel of it (the gun that is).

All the other little bits such as fire selector, sights ect are all very snugley fitted into place and make a nice healthy "click" sound when they are moved into their respective positions. The stock extracts/retracts nice and smoothly into 6 differing positions. The STTi came with a standard 300 round hi-cap magazine which fitted into the magazine housing perfectly, although I did have to use a little bit of pressure to get it to fit but I'm assuming that is down to it being fresh out of the box, but I'm confident that will fix itself over time as it gets a chance to bed in. Even the extra 450 round hi-cap I got (according to the bottom of the mag it is a G&G mag) also fitted nicely, but again I had to use a bit of pressure to get it to stay in. Again this will no doubt fix itself over time. Other features such as the carry handle can be removed without fuss allowing for other scopes ect to be fitted and the front/rear sights work fine. The hop-up unit can be accessed easily by simply pulling the cocking handle back, thus exposing the hop-up unit itself, and then make what adjustments as required. Once done, just push the cocking handle back in, thus closing the unit in the process.

In fact the only annoying sound I heard from the STTi was coming from the forward sling hook thingy-me-bob and the lever to move the stock into it's various positions.

Battery changing

The battery I ordered for the STTi was an 8.4volt 1100mAH. I found the battery changing to be quite easy. Simply unclip the lower section of the handguard, plonk the battery in/out, clip the lower section back on and away you go. Simple.

Test Firing

The ever important firing bit. I fired a total of 50 BB's before the battery died (the battery was also fresh from the box and I couldn't wait to charge it first) as a preliminary FPS test.

The recorded FPS stats are as follows:

1st BB: 321 fps

2nd BB: error

3rd BB: error

4th BB: error

5th BB: error

6th BB: error

7th BB: error

8th BB: error

9th BB: error

10th BB: 386 fps

11th BB: error

12th BB: error

13th BB: error

14th BB: 378 fps

15th BB: 378 fps

16th BB: error

17th BB: error

18th BB: error

19th BB: error

20th BB: error

21st BB: error

22nd BB: 315 fps

23rd BB: 279.90 fps

24th BB: 381 fps

25th BB: 318 fps

26th BB: 383 fps

27th BB: 315 fps

28th BB: 379 fps

29th BB: 389 fps

30th BB: 370 fps

31st BB: 379 fps

32nd BB: 381 fps

33rd BB: error

34th BB: error

35th BB: error

36th BB: 316 fps

37th BB: error

38th BB: error

39th BB: 386 fps

40th BB: error

41st BB: error

42nd BB: error

43rd BB: 390 fps

44th BB: error

45th BB: error

46th BB: 323 fps

47th BB: 323 fps

48th BB: 325 fps

49th BB: 323 fps

50th BB: error

So, 21 BB's gave readings and 29 BB's failed to register on my chrono (one of those £40 ones from Wolf Armouries).

The FPS stats are somewhat eratic and it is in no way an accurate recording of the STTi's true FPS output as there will be factors that will undoubtly alter the above readings such as the internal parts bedding in over time that will probably result in the FPS dropping (by how much I have no idea). I still have a few more FPS test to do once the battery is fully charged. Once I've fired a couple of thousand BB's through it, it should then start to give a more consistant FPS reading.

Compatibilty with other magazines

I took it along to it's first proper skirmish today (Sunday 7th May) and tried it out with other magazines. As already mentioned above, it fits G&G mags perfectly. I also used a fellow airsofters TM 300 round hi-cap mags towards the end of the day when I ran out of ammo and they worked perfectly. I can only assume that if it accepts 300 round TM mags, it will also accept all other magazines for that style of weapon.

On a side note, I have been informed by Airsoft Armouries and Wolf Armouries that, although the STTi is compatible with other magazines, it does have a problem with feeding BB's from C-mags and other box mags, although I'm pretty sure someone out there will no doubt find a solutiuon to that little drawback.

Rate of Fire

The STTi performed excellently during the course of the days skirmishing. I started skirmishing at about 09:30 and finished at about 16:30. During the course of the day I fired off approximately 10,000-12,000 0.20g BB's. Some games I deliberately selected semi auto (but still going through a few mags worth of ammo) to test it's accuracy, rate of fire and range during firefights and I am glad to say it worked fine. It fired out BB's as fast as I could squeeze the trigger, and believe me, I was sqeezing it fast! Other games I went beserk on fully automatic, again to test it's rate of fire, accuracy, range. The only time the range and rate of fire dropped was towards the end of the first half of the day. The battery ground to a halt. Dead. No power left in it. Stuck it on fast charge and half an hour later it was back up to full strength and only went dead again after about another 3 and a bit hours skirmishing. If I didn't have such an itchy trigger finger then it probably would have lasted all day, but that wasn't the point of the exercise. Still, probably best to get a second battery.

I have absolutely no idea how many BB's it fired per second. I was firing that much I couldn't keep track.

Range

The STTi was averaging a range equal to that of the P90's (not sure of make), CA's and TM's (a few MP5 and M4 types) on the day. Unfortunately I didn't bring a tape measure so was unable to record any accurate distances. It also never occured to me to roughly pace out a distance, but not to worry. There's always next time.

Accuracy

Once I'd adjusted the hop-up. the accuracy was more or less dead ahead, but every now and then the BB would veer off left or right towards the very end of it's flight path. It never happened that often, that I do know.

Durability

There where a few times when I accidently dropped it, mainly when I was trying to stealthily slide down the hilly slopes of the quarry and ended up falling flat on my face into some of the rocks. Fearing the worst I ducked into cover and checked the STTi over. Apart from a few muddy scuff marks, there where no cracks, hair line fractures or even scratch marks. Everything worked fine and nothing was broken. I can only assume it is a tough little b@stard. Not bad for a mixture of ABS and Metal.

Final results

Cost wise, you cannot beat it. Same goes for build quality. It is a very solid piece of kit. I'll even go as far to say it can easily handle the requirements as a primary weapon, and not just as a cheap back up or project gun. It easily matched all the other guns on the site such as CA's, TM's ect, and was responsible for getting a lot of the kills on the day. All except the MC51. That thing was pure evil towards me. As a CQB weapon I've got a feeling it is going to be really good. Hopefully I'm off to LFU on Sunday 28th May so I will be able to find out, but thats for part 2 - urban durability.

Would I recommend this as a premary weapon. Thats not for me to say. Personally I am very pleased with what I've got and the way it has performed, but all I can do is write an honest review of how it has performed for ME. It is up to other readers to use this information and make up their own minds and then decide if it is something for them. Remember, one mans meat is another man's poison.

Batteries - probably best to get a second battery, if not fast charge will certainly give it enough juice to last the rest of the day. Just don't do it too often. I've heard it can damage the battery after a while.

Upgrading - From what I have been told, the internals are plastic, but either way I probably will end up getting it upgraded at some point to metal gears and the like, and even if that is the case, it still works out a hell of a lot cheaper than other standard guns BEFORE upgrading. Apart from that all the various other cosmetic bits and bobs can be added blah blah blah. It's whatever floats your boat really. I'm not really interested in putting various grips or scopes on. I just want something to shoot the sh!t out of people with. Might get a grenade launcher though and a few more mags. <_<

Someone sent me a pm asking if it is equal to the TOP M4's that Airsoft Scotland have. Simple answer is I do not know. Why? Because I haven't got one. It's that simple.

Nearly forgot, no pictures. Unable to upload pictures into post. Don't know why.

Here endeth the lesson.

Steve.

Another sunday game over with. STTi still firing as it should be. Everything now well and truly bedded and as a result, the FPS is now staying between 315-320.

Only concern I've had today (which is the very first concern since buying it) is the pistol grip is a little bit on the loose side so I'll be giving Airsoft Armoury a ring tomorrow to check what to do. I'm sure it's just a screw loose or something.

Steve.

Ref loose pistol grip, Airsoft Armouries (Cannock branch) told me they *would not consider it a warranty breach if I were to remove the base plate from the pistol grip, remove the motor by disconnecting the two wires and then tightening the two screws inside the bottom (looking down into it, as it were) myself. I carried out their instructions they gave me over the phone (on loud speaker) and problem with pistol grip solved.

I've got one more part of my little review to do, which will be it's performance, durability ect, when I go to Light Fighter Urban on the 28th May.

Steve.

*I am not advocating that people with new guns under warranty carry out work themselves. If you ever get any problems with ANY airsoft gun that you've bought from any retailer, it is always best to ring them first and ask them what is the best course of action. My problem was simply a loose pistol grip, which has no function to the guns workings. If it was a motor or gearbox problem, for example, they would probably have told me to return it for them to have a look at it. If in doubt, ask.

Quick update about fuses.

The chaps at AA have recommended taking out the 15amp fuse, located in a white(ish) plastic casing inside the forward handguard and replacing it with a 30amp fuse. According to Maplins they don't sell 30amps in that size, but a box of 6 15's only cost about £1.50.

Steve.

• 4 months later...