Pics of your SWAT Gear

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure that this is the proper place, but...

A proposed LAPD SWAT kitlist:

Weapons:

-Colt M4 w/ Surefire Millenium M500A WeaponLight

-Kimber TLE II or TLE/RL II w/ SureFire X200A LED WeaponLight

Clothing and protective gear:

-Navy Blue coveralls

-Black Nomex flight gloves

-Adidas GSG-9 boots

-Nomex(?) balaclava

-Black PASGT helmet

-Black Alta knee pads

-Oakley E Frame goggle

LBE:

-Safariland duty belt

-Safariland 6004 tactical holster

-Safariland 77 pistol mag pouch

The vest and so forth are beyond my knowledge. However, I'm fairly certain that the vest is black, has a gas mask pouch, radio pouch, there are probably handcuff pouch(es) worn on the belt and zip-tie-type cuffs.

I think I did pretty good, though. :mellow:

you can also add SIG sauer pistols to the list. Such as P220, or P226. And more H&K weapons such as MP5A4's with surefure light. SD6's SD5's. CA870 from tanaka, G&P or maruzen (with custom parts of course to make it authentic)

Right now, I haven't seen many recent photos of LAPD SWAT but I can imagine that they have much more sophisticated weaponary.

EDIT: found a helpful picture guide to SWAT gear: http://www.war-sky.com/forum/read.php?fid=...105349&toread=1

awesome pics of LAPD SWAT weapons: http://www.speedycars.net/c/forum_topic.asp?id=5006

Edited by trfo2o

Looks like they use the 6004 tactical drop leg platform if those pictures are accurate and that they do not mount anything directly on their belts.

The vest still eludes me, but I suspect that you can probably find a replica on eBay.

:mellow: The pics in the second link... the ones of actual LAPD SWAT personnel are from a Popular Mechanics article printed in 1997 or 1998. I remember reading it and have been half-wanting to go find it and read it again, but I'm too damned lazy. The only Armalite they had in that one was an M16 (probably an M16A1) in the hands of an officer who was keeping an eye on a number of suspects laying face down on the ground, legs-spread eagle, and their hands behind the back of their heads.

:mellow:

OK, looks like LAPD SWAT uses ACOGs on all their M4s. But it gets better... they all look like M4A1s, but they all have the ACOG mounted on the carry handle. Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but it seems a little silly to me that you would buy something with a detachable carry handle only to mount optics on the carry handle.

Hmm Some Captain or Colonel along the line probably didn't like the look of an M series weapon without the carry handle and ordered they be put back on. Hell my Dad's department had a Commander that demanded his car have hubcaps and saw that they get issued to him even when the Marine Squadron was having trouble getting 6 Spark Plugs for a boat. The county kept insisting they could do it with 2. Police Departments are strange things.

Honestly, I'm mostly annoyed by the fact that they're all identical. I mean, you'd think that some of them would have at least some sort of personal touch... like different optics, different BUIS, maybe a barrel-mounted light instead of the foregrip light... I suppose that living in a small-ish town has spoiled me.

To be honest I prefer the look of carry handle mounted optics. I own an M15A2 which obviously has a non removable carry handle, but I own a M15A4 which does have one, but I still mount my optics on the carry handle. Not only do I prefer the looks, I like being able to use my iron sights aswell, with the optics still mounted. Just personal preference I guess!

this isnt the militery, or airsoft... these weapons are used more infrequently that sf operatiors, granted they train... but, thier police depts... same weapons, same accessories, and they are time proven.... they arnt trying to look like militery special forces... plus leaving the carry handle on allows the weapon to be, ]shock horror] carried by it... also, the acog version that goes on the carry handle is cheaper (marginally) as it doesnt come with a ris adaptor, and its the right hight for a shooter to aim with when standing to give a better stance than low on the reciver... remember, thier mostly used in cqb, why would they want to barrel mount flashlights, when they have a very ergonomic, built in solution? these weapons arnt all rounders, their tacticaly chosen for a role, hence Special weapons and tactics....

mp5s, shotguns, m4s, an element doesnt get a mix, they use specific weapons to specific dutys... shotguns for animal control, mp5s for unarmoured and reduiced penentration, m4s for hard targets, hk69s for smoke grenades etc.... airsofters shouldnt look at CIVILIAN policeforces in the same way as a militery unit... they work differently :)

this isnt the militery, or airsoft... these weapons are used more infrequently that sf operatiors, granted they train... but, thier police depts... same weapons, same accessories, and they are time proven.... they arnt trying to look like militery special forces... plus leaving the carry handle on allows the weapon to be, ]shock horror] carried by it... also, the acog version that goes on the carry handle is cheaper (marginally) as it doesnt come with a ris adaptor, and its the right hight for a shooter to aim with when standing to give a better stance than low on the reciver... remember, thier mostly used in cqb, why would they want to barrel mount flashlights, when they have a very ergonomic, built in solution? these weapons arnt all rounders, their tacticaly chosen for a role, hence Special weapons and tactics....

mp5s, shotguns, m4s, an element doesnt get a mix, they use specific weapons to specific dutys... shotguns for animal control, mp5s for unarmoured and reduiced penentration, m4s for hard targets, hk69s for  smoke grenades etc.... airsofters shouldnt look at CIVILIAN policeforces in the same way as a militery unit... they work differently :)

What the *fruitcage*?

Actually entry units use shotguns and MP5s.

And, around here, it seems that no two LEOs have the same weapons. I'm pretty sure it's the same for our tactical teams, too... hell, when they caught an attempted murder/attempted double kidnapping guy in Wyoming, the tactical guys not only had different guns with different optics, they also had different tactical gear.

Oh, and most SWAT guys (especially LAPD SWAT) are also ex-special forces or, at the very least, ex-military. So it would make sense that a guy who used certain weapons in certain configurations in the military would want to use those same weapons and configurations for similar circumstances in LE.

I remember back in the day (4 years ago Haha) we had a murderer running around killing people. The SWAT team finally caught up with him when he fell asleep at a hostages house. They shot him 47 times in the chest. But anyway they had three different MP5 configurations. Navy Groups, SEF groups, fixed stocks, collapsible stocks and what not.

I saw in the news yesterday or a few days ago a bull that gored a man to death, and then a police marksman shot it. Didn't say what they shot it with, so Im assuming a handgun or Mp5 or suchlike. Havent heard of shotguns being used by the British Police though - apart from breaching purposes I suppose.