Getting all wet and steamy

Smith5

I went for a game yesterday with my new bolle attacker googles and quite honestly it would have been easier to see by running around squinting through my eyelashes and usung the eyelashes for eye protection. The goggles steamed up almost instantly when I put them on and basically ruined my game until I could grab a rental mask.

I took some advice from one of the guys I was playing with and put some holes in the goggles. The top of them now resemble a sieve (well, almost :blink: ) but I need more holes!

The reason I need to guarantee they do not steam up is because the next game ill be attending is an away day and I cannot guarantee having accecss to alternative eye protection.

Heres what ive done to the goggles so far. Ive cut holes in the top and bottom vents that looked like they should have had holes in the already but didnt for some reason. As it looked like these bits were fine to cut out I want ahead and did it.

Heres what I want to cut out next. Im not sure if its ok to cut this bit off. Its a very thin, flexable wobbly skin of plastic that looks like its meant to accomodate glasses. I dont wear glasses so would it be ok to cut this part out to further improve ventilation.

It doesnt apear to be an important part of the seal around your face and is mostly covered by the head strap so wont leave a hole in the mask for bb's to get in. I just want to check first before I go hacking more bits off the goggles.

Thanks

You may want to consider purchasing some bolle siliums (as i have done today), their cheap, strong, and wont fog up as their like sunglasses. By cheap i mean 7 quid posted, just incase your goggles do steam up, you have a cheap backup.

EDIT: I meant to take with you on the away game, not as a replacement (if you havent solved the problem)

man i had those goggles not for airsoft tho they were in my science lab

can you bend the lenses?

if its solid plastic and you have access to a small drill drill a few holes round the edges not to close to each other all around the outside of the lense. my mate did it to his paintball mask and it works fine. hasnt fogged up in ages

D

Yes I can bend the lenses and all of the goggles actually. I have already cut 9cm's worth of holes along the top (as in picture) and 6 (3 under each eye) in the bottom. So i should drill holes in the front as well as the holes i have made and after cutting out what I think I want to next (secoind pic linked to)?

man i had those goggles not for airsoft tho they were in my science labD

Science lab googles can't within stand 1joule of airsoft guns. Fact. :D

Also I just stick with mesh, don't steam up, but admitly doesn't look so good.

You could try anti fog spray, (not sure if that stuff works though).

mesh goggles - guaranteed not to fog up...

those rubbery lab goggles are rather useless, i tried them once and swore never again...

as for anti-fog go to a motorcycle shop and get some of the stuff they use on crash helmets - its far better than the crappy stuff you get in places like halfords...

A thin layer of a detergent (like washing-up liquid) rubbed onto the inside of the lens, left for a while to dry and then lightly wiped off with a clean cloth can help too.. I tend to use shaving foam.. it seems to help a bit.. some of us are just naturally steamy people and I've always managed to fog anything I've worn with a lens.. I usually wear Oakley M-Frame glasses with vented heater lenses but even they can fog on me..

Mesh goggles may well be for you but I think they're fugly and I personally wouldn't trust them (but that's just my opinion and many other people swear by them)

Good luck, anyway... :)

a double-walled (called "thermal" lens) would solve your problem.

the reason you get fog is the temperature difference inside and outside your lenses. A double-wall / thermal lens has a buffer of air between the two lenses, keeping the temperature gradient from becoming too great.

they work wonders if theyre available for your mask/setup.

Archived