KSC Mac-11 "Feature"

Zero_DgZ

So I was goofing around with a friend's Mac-11 over the weekend. I've read all kinds of posts over the years about people having trouble with this gun throwing BB's out the ejection port and I finally experienced this phenomenon firsthand and had the time to experiment with it.

My answer? Cheap BB's.

I had a bunch of left over "PowerColor" brand .25 BB's. They're not as horrid as some I've seen, but they're certainly not great. They have a bit more of a textured finish to them than good BB's and they seem a tiny amount smaller than the KSC's I normally run, though without my micrometer on me I couldn't tell you for sure.

Well, dig this:

I load up a mag of those things because the Mac-11 is, scientifically speaking, the fastest way on the planet to ###### away BB's. Upon unloading a salvo, I noticed that lots of BB's went out the port, ejected very neatly and picturesquely like spent brass. Which was kind of cool, but not quite what I was going for.

So I got out a fresh target and did it again later. This time, I loaded 20 BB's (I'm lazy, and it's a round number) and let it rip. 10 holes in the target, 10 BB's on the floor. I did it again and got the same result.

The next time I looked it it very closely and figured out, I think, what's happening. The Mac-11 has a doublestack magazine that herds the next BB from either stack into a semi-central position when it gets to the feed lips. Obviously, the path of the BB's from the leftmost stack (leftmost from the perspective of holding the gun in your hand aimed at the target, looking at the back of the magazine) is different from that of the BB's of the rightmost stack.

With the slightly undersized BB's, the little square bit on the bolt that scoops the BB's up to chamber them grabs the BB from the left stack and chambers it, but also catches the BB from the right stack and nudges it out of the feed lips. The next BB from the left stack snaps into place and flings the wayward BB from the right out of the magazine, where apparently some magic happens and it gets thrown clear of the mechanism.

To test this, I carefully loaded a magazine with PowerColors on the left and KSC's on the troublesome right, and had no jams or ejections.

'Twould be interesting to get some brass colored (or at least yellow) slightly undersized cheap BB's and intentionally load a mag to do the ejection trick, but I imagine sooner or later one of them will get thrown wrong and jam the bolt out of battery.

So before you go taking your gun apart, replacing the bolt face, magazine lips, or doing any other jiggery-pokery, try a different brand of BB.

Mmmmm. Very interesting.

I'll have to have a play with mine later...any excuse :P

Maybe the bolt could be modded ever-so-slightly so it doesn't catch the second-in-line BB? I have a spare gun (bought, like my 'main' one, new for £40 'cos mags alone are £35)

Archived