Drilling goggles

Smith5

Im thinking about drilling holes around the edge of my goggles to improve ventilation and reduce the likelyhood of them steaming up.

I have Bolle Attackers. The lenses and the frame of the goggles are flexable, I can bend them.

Will drilling holes around the edge of the lense render it useless for stopping me being blinded by bb's?

Ive tried mesh masks/goggles and I have either got a rash around my face from the sponge/foam/whatever padding of the mask or nearly drowned in my own sweat!

Can anyone tell me if its ok to drill holes in my lenses?

if u use a small drill bit it shouldnt be comprimised too much i dont think ... but the goggles will lose strength in protection .. keep that in mind.

but if its the rubber frames your drilling .. shouldnt be a problem as long as the holes are small enough. if you drill holes at the bottom to let any build up of sweat/moisture out and holes at the top to let any heat escape ... should work

I would think that it would seriously reduce the strength of the lenses - as their strength will come primarily from their convex shape -

Similar to the way you can stand on perfectly broken half eg-shells if they are the right way up, and also as to why the undersides of tanks are rounded - to help them survive mine blasts.

Anything that you do to make the lenses not be a perfect round shape will weaken them - however, I am not saying that I have seen this done - I'm just advising against it.

CC

jsut make sure the holes are smaller than 6mm :P , on a serious note, i wouldnt advise it, i had 2 pairs of goggles given to me, i think they were Scott Watercraft,1 pair had the tiniest crack in the corner so i thought id test them, BOOM! , straight through like wet newspaper, tested the other pair,

absolutly fine, the crack had weakened the whole structure, and this was with an M3 super 90, only about 290fps, from about 10 feet, not exactly scientific i know but if you drill em, try em before you skirmish in em, and never lend em out .

ive been having a look at the specs on goggles. basicaly dont. i ran a modle of mine through a Finite Element Anaylise program (I knew uni was good for somthing) and simulated a hit with a bb at 300fps no holes fine with holes they were , err smegged is the best way to put it.

now it wasnt exactly the best modle ive made and the materials spec will be a bit of and the exact forces involved will be off but its enough for me to be able to say

DONT DO IT

i cant upload the piccies of the test due to wanky uni software

ARRGGHHHHH

dont you get it. they design creates the strongest possible lense partialy though the frame edges. or why else do they have them

again i say DONT DO IT

or do i realy realy realy have to dig out my engineering notes to show you WHY this is the case.

ARRGGHHHHH 

dont you get it. they design creates the strongest possible lense partialy though the frame edges. or why else do they have them

again i say DONT DO IT

or do i realy realy realy have to dig out my engineering notes to show you WHY this is the case.

can i have your engineering notes anyway? :)

I have some silly paintball mask that I drilled holes in, along the edges to improve the air flow. I used a small drill bit with a normal, everyday drill, and it works fine. I tested the hole size, and it's way too small for a BB to get through, and the lens is still fine.

I have a pair of yellow, quite cheep, plasticcy shooting glasses that i added ventilation to in the method you described (drilled lots of holes in) a few years back.

They worked perfectly and very rarely fogged up.

To test them, as i'm not mathematical enough to do the calculations, i just shot them multiple times at point blank range with my old L96 (upgraded to levels i'm not allowed to discuss here) and they were fine!

I finally stopped using them when i bought a £10 pair of Bolle glasses from Airsoft Warehouse that look much cooler and fog up FAR less than anything i've used. I had used goggles (Bolle x800) as well as a number of mesh masks and i can say that these glasses i currently have are the best i've ever used! Not bad for a tenner.

Archived