Classic Army AG36

Classic Army AG36

I had sold my STAR AG36, and wanted to replace it, and I decided on getting the CA AG36, as it was a lot cheaper. I placed my order for the AG36 and some other bits from Uncompany, and it was shipped very quickly, however Customs and Excise messed up, and I was overcharged a lot, which I had to resolve, which increase my wait. However, this had nothing to do with UnCo, which were excellent.

A week after, the gun arrived, so I did this review. It comes in a nice blue box, with the gun itself packaged away very securely.

The box:

DSCN1439.jpg

Inside:

DSCN1440.jpg

Initial Thoughts.

DSCN1436.jpg

After removing it, I had a good feel of the gun. The fore grip unsurprisingly, is made of the same plastic the Classic Army G36 line is made out of, which is very nice to hold, and a lot better then the STAR (More on this later)

I flicked up the tube, which like the STAR one (it’s a replica of an AG36 anyway, so it should be like this anyway) buy pushing a little button in front of the trigger. The action was very crisp, the one my STAR wasn’t so, but this may because it was second hand. The tube is a nice Aluminium

DSCN1438.jpg

The safety catch is excellent, it has a very definite click to it, and it doesn’t feel like it is going to fall off anytime soon, like my STAR.

It also comes with a pin, this is useful as I lost mine, and it is a different length, as the leaf sight on the side covers the side, so it needs to be shorter unless you want it to protrude.

Inside it.

There isn’t a whole lot to say on this, as it is really a tube with a fore grip, but it is quite time consuming to take apart, to replace a battery, and if you are not concentrating, can take a long time to put back together.

The gun taken apart.

DSCN1437.jpg

You will need a custom battery for this, a standard mini will not fit, a stick might, but I am not sure.

I recommend installing a DC (I think) socket and wiring a tamiya (or whatever connector your charger is) with a DC plug, then using bullet connectors to wire the DC socket to a custom battery (I recommend 2 sticks running parallel , with all of the wires coming out of the far side (closest to the flash hider), as you can just plug the gun into the charger, so you do not have to take the gun apart to replace the battery, as this is quite awkward.

Comparison to STAR.

In Short, the Classic Army is the better buy. It is a lot cheaper, and the build quality is a lot better. It is a dark black like the CA36 bodies, whereas the STAR is a bluely grey. However, the STAR did have trades, whereas the CA does not, but that is a moot point for me as I am not bothered by trades or lack of them.

These are the only differences, as said, grenade launchers are pretty simple things, and there isn’t things I could go into details like I could an AEG, such as internals etc.

Note;

You cannot fit this on a CA36K without modding the front of the ag36, as the flashider will not fit, you just need to file it down or dremel it

I had the STAR one and had no problems with it. It was, after a days shooting, bloody heavy / akward. Are they of a comparable weight and dose it fit th TM G36 without moding. I do miss my AG36 and th CA price is a lot easier to swallow if i decide to replace.

Top review btw !

It will fit the TM g36 without any modding, the problem is block of metal at the front which will stop a flashhider.

It is a similar weight, most of this comes from the metel "plate" which runs along the top of the tube.

I can't directly compare the demenstions of that of the STAR, but if someone has one, I could measure it up.

Cheers.

Can't you just take the flash hider off - then put the AG36 on and replace the flash hider?

Likewise with the battery - taking the AG36 off, then changing the battery - seems the logical (and easeir) choice.

Bear in mind I have no experience of this so please point out if I'm being ignorant.

No, the thread for the barrel and flashhider is behind the metal block, I have no idea why CA chose to do this, seeming as the K is the more popular model.

With regards to the battery, it kinda hangs on the top of the barrel and can get caught and snagged very easily, the only way to remove it really I found with out breaking it was to take the whole thing apart.

Yes, you can put another rail on the side of the gun.

DSCN1448.jpg

I secured one end of a short g36 rail, on the second hole to the left, then drilled another hole closter to the receiver, on the other side of the last hole. However this made it even harder to get off, but it can be done.I know star have a photo of a rail for thier SA80 UGL, if this will come out or fit the AG36 I do not know. There are also real steel AG36 rails, that mount a rail along the top on a leg system like the leaf sight is mounted.

Slings are not a problem, there is one of these each side:

DSCN1447.jpg

And this is what it looks like on a CA36K:

DSCN1445.jpg

And this is what the metal block looks like after filing:

DSCN1441.jpg

Note, although you can see I filed though the screw holes, this isn't a problem, as the screws are short and don't go in that far, just abit into the larger bits on either side.

I also ordered my CA AG36 from UnCompany. Took forever to get here, but it was worth it. I promptly took my launcher apart to the molecular level, since Ill be doing the modding to the front metal mounting bracket at work with an endmill, and cant really take this there complete. Word of caution, the barrel is a pain to get back into the metal frame, because of the spring. And Skarclaw is correct, it needs to be modded to fit on a "K".

• 2 weeks later...