RWC KSC USPc with steel slide. Review&pics inside!

DISCLAIMER

This is NOT a review of the KSC USP Compact but a review of the upgrades that were done by RedWolf, for a great review of the stock USPc click HERE

I wanted a USPc ever since I used one back in 1998 during a expo, it was small, concealable and it performed very nicely for a pistol of it's size. Ever since I saw the KSC promo pics I wanted the airsoft version, but I kept putting it aside. Then I saw the RedWolf Custom USP Compact with a custom CNC steel slide.

I bit the bullet and placed a order with RedWolf on Thursday and immiedetly PayPaled the money, the order was shipped the same day. The parcel was in the country Friday and I got it Monday morning.

"Mike! Your package is here!"

X-RayUSPc.jpg

I think this method best shows what the pistol is made out of :P

First Impression.

The pistol is DAMN heavy, when I took it out of the box it really felt like the real thing, very solid with a heavy stainless steel slide, the frame material is a little glossy/smooth compared to the real thing though. This baby weighs more then my full metal Kimber, or a real loaded Glock 17. The base for the upgrade is the Taiwan version, which for the price you pay for the pistol is in my view....cheap. (hint hint RedWolf!)

RWCUSPc.jpg

Details.

The markings "HK USP COMPACT 9mmX19" are ingraved deeply and sharply, all other markings on the slide are etched.

USPcSlidedetail.jpg

The markings on the barrel are also deeply and sharply engraved, the serial on the barrel matches the one on the slide.

ChamberdetailUSPc.jpg

Both the slide and the barrel are great pieces of work, cleanly machined.

FIRE!

The pistol fires nicely, although I could not get the slide to lock back after the last round if I loaded the mag with more then 15rounds, it works best when loaded with 13rounds. (the real one holds 13 rounds in the 9MM flavour) There is not much metallic noise, as I expected but it is still fun to shoot. (you need both a metal frame and metal slide for that sound effect) More on this tomorrow as I take the pistol for a longer spin.

Drawbacks.

Many will think "steel slide! COOL!" but there are drawbacks. Steel is stronger than aluminium, but also allot heavier, this means more energy is needed to move the slide, which results in less shots per mag. Also because of the increase in mass of the slide, you need a stronger recoil spring. But here is the flaw of the RWC USPc, the recoil spring is simply too soft. When I cock the hammer, and point the pistol muzzle upwards at 90deg, the slide retracts about 5-6MM. I have no idea what type of spring they used, I will look into a more stiffer one along with some high-flow valves.

I'll update this when I get more time with the pistol, and feel free to ask for pics or anything.

Cheers,

Mike

:cookiemonster:

Edited by LoneWolf
The pistol fires nicely, although I could not get the slide to lock back after the last round if I loaded the mag with more then 15rounds, it works best when loaded with 13rounds. (the real one holds 13 rounds in the 9MM flavour) I'll update this when I get more time with the pistol, and feel free to ask for pics or anything.

hmm, i thought the magazine was supposed to take 21 rounds...

Anyway, excellent work Mike! Im glad some1 finally did a review of this gun. +1 to you. Although I'm disappointed that for such a steep price they left the stock recoil spring (least im assuming its stock, as my stock KSC USPc had a soft recoil spring too).

It really is hard to say if the recoil spring is infact stock, since the slide really is one heavy piece and the added weight may make the spring feel soft.

I will try to order these parts for the pistol:

-upgraded recoil&hammer spring

-highflow valves

-tightbore barrel

I'll keep you updated.

Cheers,

Mike

I have the same package, except mine is black and has high flow valves and enhanced recoil spring. And it kicks nice and hard.

uspcmpct82qm.jpg

I love it to death, shoots hard and fantastic, its very rugged.

Mine still has some putty in there too :P

uspcmpct73ig.jpg

(Pictures added so people can see it with a black shooters design slide also)

Oh Mike, is your recoil spring flat or is it tubular? The flat recoil spring is the stock one.

Edited by Milla

heeeey, you stole my gun LoneWolf :)

I have a stronger spring, and it kicks like a mule...

next stop: high flow valve :P

I had to assemble my gun myself, and it was a real pain in the *albartroth* <_<

the magazine scratching part really p***ed me off!(you have to mill of a part of your magazine if you want to put a metal slide...why you ask? so do I! :blink: )

heeeey, you stole my gun LoneWolf :)

I have a stronger spring, and it kicks like a mule...

next stop: high flow valve  :P

I had to assemble my gun myself, and it was a real pain in the *albartroth*  <_<

the magazine scratching part really p***ed me off!(you have to mill of a part of your magazine if you want to put a metal slide...why you ask? so do I! :blink:  )

My mag looks normal :unsure:

What spring did you get for yours? You have the RWC steel slide?

Cheers,

Mike

Hmm, I'm buying the SD slide for my KSC USP Compact pretty soon. Which part is it that you need to file?

And great review LoneWolf, deserves a +1 for the help it gives me in upgrading my Compact :)

Hauk

But with the SD slide you wouldnt have to file the mag? And does anyone know if there is any kind of intense milling involved if you buy a SD slide and try to install it urself?

BTW: awesome review Lonewolf, you and Milla make me want to buy me an SD slide now, looks beautiful.

what is SD? (dumb n44b question, but you lost me there :) )

I tryed to push a mag in without cutting the peace, and it can't go in(you CAN push hard and it will fall in place, but the slide won't move)

I also tryed to leave the stock recoil spring in with metal slide, and it is just too weak to move it

I have an SD (Shooters Design) slide and outer barrel and I have had no problems at all. The front top edge of the chamber does encounter some stiction with the inside top surface of the slide(more to the front due to the components coming closer together in recoil.

However, a thin finger smear of thickish motor oil on that inside slide surface and some extra racking soon smooths things out. It might also help to ever so slightly chamfer that square front edge of the chamber.

Also, the stock spring is sufficient to power the full metal, except if your shooting anything straight up.

To those with G&G slides. Why did you not file away the part of the slide that was interfering with the mags? It's virtually hidden anyway and it would save de-facing the mags.

Edited by Tommygunn