G&G SA80!

dechande

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyopne else noticed that the TMH and Barrel Group of the G&G appears to strip apart more like the real thing, whereas the STAR offering comes apart differently? Certainly a plus point in their favour :)

There was a bit of STAR bashing going on just up there in little snippets and while I assume it is based on impressions and experiences with other STAR products, have any of you actually held, or witinessed a STAR L85?

There are two of them on my team, neither of which is owned by myself, and they are the absolutely most SOLID airsoft guns I have ever held, more solid than a load of real guns I have fired. I am talking heavy receiver with deep markings on it, realistic polymer furnature (not sure what the material is, probably nylon or somesuch) And exellent finish.

They chronoed over the forum limits out of the box and very nearly at our field limit for AEG's, and so far no problems.

GRANTED they have only been skirmished twice each, and I don't know how much their owners have used them other then that, the possibvility for problems is clearly there. I doubt anything G&G comes up with will be able to rival the external quality of the STAR.

I have owned a G&G GR16A2 since they came out,m I love it, it has never done me wrong, but I still think what they will come out with will be an inferor product (All be it, at a price point that will reflect this fact, and will allow a lot more people into the market)

Competition is always a good thing, but lets not bash STAR. If anyone has a bad experience with the STAR L85 I want to know about it too...

I used to own a STAR L85a2 and it was a great rifle! I left everything stock (400FPS) and played with a Large 9.6V battery nothing failed and I shot approx 10000 shots through it, until I sold it because I needed money for the Marine reenacting. The STAR SA80 is more than worth the money, for it's built qualitiy.

It only got that poor reputation from a few lemons.

G&G instead is something different. I've never heard from company producing so many lemons. They're even worse than CA. for example their M14 ist just ###### regarding the Gearbox. And if you've ever worked on a G&G gearbox you know what I mean with ######.

Is it me, or in the two L85 models shown above they lack the mag release cover so you don't have the issue of accidentally dropping mags as was an issue when the real thing was first brought into service?

I wouldn't mind having an A1 variant but unless G&G strengthen the spring or add that catch cover I see this being a problem down the line for the consumer.

Note: Its almost unbelieveable that google images can't find me a good shot of what I'm talking about but those familiar with the weapon will do.

See, patience gets you everywhere.

I'd like to think that i'd at least try to buy one in time for the VCR if they're at a decent price. Make them at a decent price with plenty of spare parts, (unlike STAR!) ie TMH pins and bits that tend to fall off and they'll sell well. Although for peace of mind i would want to get the gearbox looked at before using it. Old expectations from the early M14s im afraid...

Yay it's an A1!!!! :) I honestly can't see from the pictures whether the mag catch has the guard or not, but it would be nice if it did. I'm not keen on that blowback though - something else to break.

Hopefully thats just to show the cocking handle moves back to access the hop up and its length of travel

It'd be nice if they added the 'shove fire mode selector right down for spring release' feature as per the Star model

Ease springs - *whir*

Yeah, not quite the same is it? XD

I stand corrected :)

go g&G- I've heard nothing but good things about Star's l85 range, but the price and lack of spare parts are what put me off htem- if G&G can get one out thats as good as their GR16 range (modern version) then more power to 'em!

And I, too, would love to know what that strange g3/sig thing is... it am teh sexeh :D

it was airsoft warehouse in yate near bristol that told me about this. top bunch of guys, and their g&g stuff is alot cheaper than everywhere else ive looked, http://www.airsoftwarehouse.co.uk/index.htm i was talking to them again today, they said g&g is staying very quiet about it, they should have it by the end of june, but they did say they wouldnt be surprised to see it put back till july.

No...

The A1 had the mag catch and that trigger. But the original L85 did not. It became the A1 when fitted with a few upgrades i think and then the A2 with the complete overhaul.

As for triggers:

http://www.project-x.org.uk/sa80triggers.html

The snowcutter looks much like the A1, so i was wrong there.

Thank god i didn't buy the star one i was going to 3 days ago :)

I'm fairly confinded it'll be out before the VCR, i can't see them wanting to miss the UK market with it, as has been said even if it isn't perfect new G7G are good at getting old customers improved parts free

Cheers

Mig

Yessssss this is like a dream come true! I have been crying myself to sleep everynight since Star announced the prices of their L85 range, knowing that with a price tag of nearly £500 quid for a fully opperational gun(including a custom battery and a couplea extra mags) i would never know the pleasure of having my own AEG SA80. Now there is hope for the hopeless fat guy! HOOO-AAH

No...

The A1 had the mag catch and that trigger. But the original L85 did not. It became the A1 when fitted with a few upgrades i think and then the A2 with the complete overhaul.

From my limited knowledge of the L85 history it works something like this:

First, the L85. Produced at Enfeild. Then the L85A1, produced at Nottingham with C&C machinery, which sorted out a fair few of the defects, but it was still troublesome. The L85A2, L85A1 which has been substantially modified by H&K circa 2000-2002.

That is basically it.

L85 - Issue with polymers used, protuding mag release on the left side led to accidental mag dumps.

L85A1 -I believe some better build materials were introduced as well as spot wielding on a small piece of metial that acted as a guard to the mag release, stopping the mag dumps

L85A2 - Revised gas system and stronger springs and recoil assembly to negate need for forward assist, bolt handle changed to be more effective as a casing deflector I am told. Stronger mag springs and structure to prevent misfeeds due to damage feed lips

On topic if these are easier to strip down without being a bag of screws then I've got some overtime and a birthday in July :D

Archived