G&G SA80!

dechande

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GnG have a good customer service record and a good record for getting past customs. Anyway can't afford a CA AUG now, cos I want one of these! Oh well I probably would of had trouble seeing through the scope with my mask anyway.

Remember that Star will lower the price (unless they don't know their business very well) of the SA80 when this one comes out. And btw. how can you be so sure there are replacement parts available for this one? (and didn't staticzero get replacements for his Star M249 :blink:) Also I like the fact that Star uses a lot of steel on its gun, I hope this one has some too. Probalby magnesium again. I know it cuts the weight, but looking at how that gun is built, I'm not sure about the toughness. And if this is supposed to be more reliable, you'd have to call me your mother. G&G. Enough said :rolleyes:.

I see there's a blowback system (more like blowyourpistonwiththistoyfeatureback) and it strips like the real thing. Fun-for-five-minutes-features were on the UMG too (moving cocking handle and a working bolt catch), but still Star UMP is considered a lot better here in Finland. IMO AEG's are mere tools with their reliability and consistancy so if you want more of that fun-factor, go for GBB's.

I once held the Star L85, it is very solid. And I've heard a lot of that. IMO if you want a solid gun with some accuracy and power, that price is not bad. And what are these actual problems people have had? I know about the motor, it is *beep*, but meh. If you can return it, the retailer will probably change it to an EG700 or something. At least I would. What's the point of sorta fixing it and seeing the same gun again (at the workshop) after another 10k rounds?

STAR or G&G????

I have Guns from both companies, I have had the G&G for over a year now and no problems with gears, piston, hop unit or feeding. The STAR well lets just say It would have been cheaper to buy the kit and a TM G36 and build it myself.

Also the price is a huge factor, I would rather have a magnisium gun that works or requires very little repair in the course of a year than have to replace a whole gear box on an expensive gun straight out of the box.

STAR has no QA and no intention of fixing production issues.

G&G have a few problems - yes.

But their new guns are so much better - they are like Classic Army - THEY LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.

G&G and CA AEGs were poo.

We said "Hey - these are poo!"

G&G and CA said "Alright - put them through the un-poo-ificator."

And Voila!

And in any case - the STAR UMP sucks the big one - it feels cheap and nasty - and the internals are not as good as the G&G's.

Also - The STAR L85.

It's externals are very nice - yes.

BUT FOR THE PRICE IT IS FAR TOO *suitcasey*.

I do NOT expect to buy a gun for $4000+HKD and;

1) Have to replace the motor.

2) Have to spend more than 15 minutes getting to the gearbox.

3) Have to spend another $1000HKD on a SUSAT is is terrible for airsoft use anyway.

4) Have to clean the brass shavings out of the inner barrel before I can use it.

5) Have to spend EVEN MORE MONEY ON CUSTOM BATTERIES THAT ARE FAR TOO EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT THEY ARE.

The STAR L85 is a good gun - but, like all guns - it needs tweaking and money) to get it perfect.

The difference is - with any other manufacturer - it would cost much less to begin with.

Also - The STAR L85.

It's externals are very nice - yes.

BUT FOR THE PRICE IT IS FAR TOO *suitcasey*.

I do NOT expect to buy a gun for $4000+HKD and;

1) Have to replace the motor.

2) Have to spend more than 15 minutes getting to the gearbox.

3) Have to spend another $1000HKD on a SUSAT is is terrible for airsoft use anyway.

4) Have to clean the brass shavings out of the inner barrel before I can use it.

5) Have to spend EVEN MORE MONEY ON CUSTOM BATTERIES THAT ARE FAR TOO EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT THEY ARE.

The STAR L85 is a good gun - but, like all guns - it needs tweaking and money) to get it perfect.

The difference is - with any other manufacturer - it would cost much less to begin with.

1) My motor is fine after 8000 rounds

2) The gearbox is a damn site easier to get at than my TM MP5K and TM M4A1

3) You can always use another optic

4) No brass shavings in my barrell

5) Or cut into an old pack and add two wires cost me 50p and 20 mins with a soldering iron. and i can still use the battery in other guns.

6) It outperforms any of my stock CA or TM guns both in ROF and Range (ok my M14 has the range but that's an exceptionally good out of box gun)

1) My motor is fine after 8000 rounds

2) The gearbox is a damn site easier to get at than my TM MP5K and TM M4A1

3) You can always use another optic

4) No brass shavings in my barrell

5) Or cut into an old pack and add two wires cost me 50p and 20 mins with a soldering iron. and i can still use the battery in other guns.

6) It outperforms any of my stock CA or TM guns both in ROF and Range (ok my M14 has the range but that's an exceptionally good out of box gun)

7) It's still twice the price of a TM M14.

8) You got lucky.

7) It's still twice the price of a TM M14.

8) You got lucky.

8) Or you got unlucky like a lot of G&G's customers.

Besides, I think my Star UMP was at least as solid as the G&G one when I held one.

Of course STAR might not lower the price. But why should they lower the price of the other guns? I mean the SA80 is clearly something different. A lot of potential customers in the UK so you can go pretty high with the price. Now they will lose a lot of them if the price stays where it is now. Now I don't know how clever they are, but I hope for the best, because I'm not going to buy a block of magnesium unless it's really good compared to the previous guns (G&G).

7) Is the TM M14 steel and has it got over-forum-limits-fps-stock-which-can-be-quickly-decreased-if-you-live-in-the-UK (15 minutes is not that much, you're just too busy)? Naw it doesn't and it wasn't nearly as solid as the L85, but nevertheless it's a good gun if you happen to like it (uncomfortable IMO).

9 the TM M14 might be a damn sight cheaper but the G&G M14 certainly wasnt when it as available in the UK you could pay anything up to 399 quid depending on whoch one you bought.

10 the G&G problems were big enough that they had no option but to fix them or find nobody stocking far less buying their stuff That's listening to the silence of empty cash registers not customers

11 Nobodys stated a hard and fast price for this new SA80 yet - dont get me wrong Id love it to be cheap ..but half the problems the star SA80 had to overcome was a bunch of potential buyers who got ahead of themselves and decided, by pulling a figure out their own *albatross*, that it would definately be 199.99 to 249 quid THEN threw the toys out the pram when they found out it wasnt going to be the price they'd set their sights on after all.

We can point to isues with the rifle that were found afterwards and it does have them ..but those were seized on as proof to back up a load of 'Star suxorz' bitching already set in motion purely cos of the price.

12 Nobody knows for sure if any of the G&G SA80 specific parts will be readily available either

yet despite 11 and 12 (and the lessons of Stars SA80) we've already got it talked up to being a cheap affordable SA80 with readily available spares.

if it does it'll get two thumbs up from me the more the merrier IMO But if it turns out to be 349 quid without a spare part in the world, is it going to get a fair crack of the whip and treated for what it IS? or is it going to get slated for not living up to a hiope of what folks WANTED it to be

We pay four times the local cost of a CYMA CM028 for our local star SA80s you pay 7 times the HK cost of a CYMA 028 for yours

(and if yours is only 4000 HK dollars then thats around 280 quid - less than three quarters what we pay for it)

If i was being asked to pay the equiv of 7 CYMA 028s for it in the UK (700 quid) then I might be more inclined to agree with you but the different markets skew the relative prices

No one can deny really that the STAR isn't a quality product(please don't bite my head off DarkLite), but for a 16 year old like me G&G will win every time ;if they keep the price around the same bracket that they have for their other AEGs. Why do people not like G&G anyway? I have read the reviews for the AEGs other than the UMP on this site and they were pretty positive.

Ive nothing against G&G I have one of their GR300s knocking around here (somewhere) that hasnt given me any probs

but its that other 'if they keep their prices the same as their other AEGs' qualifiication

Is that keep them the same as their armalites (200 to 280 quid) or keep them same as their M14s (anything upto 400 quid in the UK)?

again untill we have a hard price for these any assumptions they'll be cheap as chips versus Stars SA80 dont do the gun any favours

If it proves to be true great if it doesnt then it just gets folks hopes up and sets the gun (and G&G) up for an unneccessary backlash.

ie better to wait and see and be pleasantly surprised than wait and see and be crushingly disappointed :)

I've been assessing how much I can spend on Airsoft rifles this year, and unfortunately, Star have well and truly priced themselves out of my budget. Now, if they come down in price to a more reasonable and competitive price, then yeah, it's possible, but I think I'll wait to see if the G&G job comes out before the VCRB goes in, before I part with any more cash for rifles. It'd make rifle number three for me were I to get one anyhow, and I've already got two 16-style clones which function quite well anyway, so personally speaking, it wouldn't be that great a probem, merely an overwhelming annoyance, if the vcrb comes in before I got a chance to see it. My five pence worth.

As I have stated before - I have no problems with the STAR L85 - except the price. For $4000HKD - when a TM M4 costs $1600HKD - I want something that's goddamn perfect - or as close as possible.

Oh and Sysoosi? When I mean Gearbox I mean right down to the gearbox to replace important components - not the quick spring feature.

If it cuts really close to the VCRB I may end up not buying one. I can't just walk out and buy one without any reviews etc. Cos if I hate it and it's not very good I'll be kicking myself for not buying a CA AUG.

Well if i was in a situation where i could only buy one rifle before the VCR came in I hate to say it but Id play safe n boring and buy an armalite - you can get every part as a third party equivalent even if the manufacturer doesnt see fit to provide it as a spare.

I do feel though that anyone with the money to drop on guns willy nilly does owe it to those without to at least try and go to the effort of giving the things an indepth look (which is what I tried to do with the VFC pre release AKSU and why i sent Hissing Sid the SA80 to strip down)

Cant see me doing the same with the G&G (cos I dont really need a third SA80 series rifle) but hopefully someone else will get one in enough time before the VCR to pull it apart.

About the price... I don't have any problems with it, but I have other things to buy too, like the M249. Which is a good example: people have bought TOP M249's and CA M249's, they aren't certainly perfect, but "pretty" solid (TOP M249 was horrible, unless someone just forgot to add some loctite) pieces. And they cost... umm I don't know as much as your house? I haven't seen people whining that much about them, at least in Finland. L85 is not as big and heavy as those guns and it may need some tweaking too, BUT not that expensive and is a solid tool. Unless you haven't noticed it yet, Star makes solid and reliable (but fails to make or buy ok motors) guns. There aren't any toy features (yes, you can have the blowback as an OPTION) and I'm totally ok with that. I don't need a working bolt catch or absolute realistic details. Still I couldn't tell the difference from a real steel unless I have held one. Do we need AEG's which are more realistic? You have a sewing machine in it, it's for playing. You tell me how to make it realistic.

If someone tells me the G&G L85 is more realistic let me remind you about the materials :). And I don't remember seeing an absolute price, don't be so sure. I of course hope it's cheap, but at the same time I'd like to see G&G let down picky people. Actually, it would sell with a price tag of 400 quid, because Star is so unreliable and unrealistic. So go for it G&G!

Archived