G&G SA80!

dechande

My main draw to the star model is the level of quality to the asthetics and feel. from what ive seen , details like the A2 cocking handle and mag release cover are missing from the G&G Model.

THE ONE YOU HAVE SEEN PICTURES OF IS A PROTOTYPE. THAT IS NOT WHAT THE PRODUCTION VERSIONS ARE GOING TO LOOK LIKE.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way i see it - every G&G gun ive handled felt realistic. Every STAR gun ive handled had "niggles."

I'd get the G&G and then replace everything internally if needbe as i want that body.

Obviously this is irrelevant because i've not seen the new G&G SA80 in the flesh as it were.

as long as G+G offer spare parts (which they will) while Star definately do not (in fact ignore all emails regarding broken parts)

They didn't ignore me, I lost one of the pins from the body of my L85 A2 and e mailed them. In less than a week they not only sent me a replacement but actually sent me 4 pins, not just the one I asked for, I can't fault that. :)

fundamental issue for me is the presence of after-market compatibility.

Without that, the G&G will be as of much use as the STAR- nice, until something goes wrong.

So long as G&G have decided to build this with the idea of it being TOTALLY compatible, internally with TM stuff, OR are planning to release a whole plethora of sa80-specific parts for after-market sales, then it remains, as said, as much use as the STAR l85- great, lovely, whatever, its of no use to me if the gearbox, hop or motor dies and I can't get it fixed easily.

Admitedly it would cost alot more to first buy the STAR model and then to completly swap out the internals but maybee its money worth spent.

although it is alot.....

You don't need to swap out the internals. (as long as you don't use some crazy spring) The three L85's I know about work well with the stock internals. Do they sell the working ones to us? I don't know.

2) The motor needing replacement doesn't make it useless or unreliable?!?!?

Please - try to skirmish with a broken motor - I'm sure you could shout 'Bang' loud enough to scare people into surrendering.

And yes - the problems can be fixed - but that costs money - and the gun costs enough as is.

It's easier to replace than a tappet plate or gears (one CA CQB stripped its gears after ~50 shots, retailer swapped them IIRC - and obviously without any fee) which are definitely needed too. Actually, why should YOU replace it? You don't need Star for that either and I understood the motor dies after 5000 shots or so (or then it doesn't die). Isn't that easily achieved before the guarentee time ends? Unless you don't have one, but I for one don't want to buy guns if they can't be returned (and there's a law over here which requires a 6 month "guarantee" for all products, dunno about the UK)... unless I buy Marui guns, they are so reliable.

The bottom line is - no it won't cost me (at least). Plus Star guns are not the only ones with problems. A working tuned up AR-15 will cost me more and that doesn't even mean problems are long gone - sadly.

I hope Star will lower the price though and start replying to all e-mails. It'll never be too cheap or too reliable.

And about steel - of course it doesn't cost that much, but if I want a steel gun, do I have a choice?

PS. Whoever said Star SA80 costs twice as much, we'll see. It'll probably be 1½x.

Yes, but making it out of steel makes it

1) heavier

2) more expensive

magnesium alloy is cheap, lightweight, and tough enough for airsoft.

Exactly - if we want a solid, reliabel airsoft gun - it's no use getting out the titanium-carbon alloy when a simpler, and more importantly, cheaper - alloy will do.

Hence why I don't understand why STAR used Steel on the L85 - It's not really of much use - just makes it heavier. A cheaper, lighter alloy would have done just as well.

STAR or G&G????

I have Guns from both companies, I have had the G&G for over a year now and no problems with gears, piston, hop unit or feeding. The STAR well lets just say It would have been cheaper to buy the kit and a TM G36 and build it myself.

Also the price is a huge factor, I would rather have a magnisium gun that works or requires very little repair in the course of a year than have to replace a whole gear box on an expensive gun straight out of the box.

STAR has no QA and no intention of fixing production issues.

Funny, the G&G GR16 I had a while back had absolute *beep* internals and shot for *beep*. Had to rebuild the mechbox, swapping out pistonhead oring, hopup bucking, and hopup gears/cam since the stock ones adjusted for *beep*. Pistonhead and piston were junk. The gun was gorgeous otherwise. Now the UMG on the other hand.....very nice externals and it shot well.

Exactly - if we want a solid, reliabel airsoft gun - it's no use getting out the titanium-carbon alloy when a simpler, and more importantly, cheaper - alloy will do.

Hence why I don't understand why STAR used Steel on the L85 - It's not really of much use - just makes it heavier. A cheaper, lighter alloy would have done just as well.

LOL, that is like the first time I've seen someone *badgeress* about an airsoft gun using better materials. Looks like a damned if you do, damned if you don't topic.

All I know is that the receiver on my STAR will never break, period. I've broken a couple alloy bodies. Can anyone say brittle?

as long as G+G offer spare parts (which they will) while Star definately do not (in fact ignore all emails regarding broken parts)
STAR sure responded to me quickly when I sent them an email about the L85, offering to send me a new hopup bucking. (My L85 out of the box had the barrel misaligned, so it wasn't shooting straight) I emailed them about it and how they need to check their outgoing QC process, and they responded immediately and offered to help. Having them send me the hopup bucking wouldn't fix the problem, as I had to tear down the gun to realign the barrel, but it was a nice gesture anyway. G&G will do the same.

CA will not and has been the worst customer service I've encountered in this hobby.

i like the Star L85, i think they got it perfect externally although from what ive heard from other people the internals could be better.

A friend of mine still has a stock L85 and its been running fantastically since he bought it.

I suppose if people want an L85 they should stop crying about Stars price and save up for one or eagerly wait for another company to bring one a cheaper version out, either way your not getting any younger. If G&G bring out an L85 will it have a odd lookin trigger much like they're RK series, i thought they stole it from a desert eagle :P .

Guys, G&G have been working on this for sometime now, I first posted that G&G were working on the L85/SA80 at the beginning of the year. They have now published images if a working prototype, this is good and very unlike G&G, next step once they have worked out any issues is mass production and releasing the item, can't see why from a marketing standpoint this makes no sense?

Makes perfect sense, they advertise once it goes into production, it will take a few weeks to get them ready and by that time the interest would be building to fever pitch.

The AK that they brought out was a total suprise to everyone, the first we knew anything about it was when they posted it on thier site, it was out about 2 months after that it was on the market.

The L85 is a different story, it is probably the most anticipated replica on the market for both British and asian players and any news or leak of information is going to be BIG, this isn't some M16/M4 variant or MP5 or for that matter another AK, this is a cliche market item that is wanted by a vast majoirity of players, even more so by the fact that STAR out priced their item to most players, I have a collection of over 20 replicas but i still can't justify spending the money on a STAR L85.

Be patient, G&G know what they are about and I beleive they are trying to release a replica that is going to not only be cost efficient but also reliable.

We are assuming it will be a magnesium body, Has Blow back and hopefully a metal gear box with reliable internals, If so they will be on to a winner as if you follow G&G's pricing you will see it will become an achievable cost for the majority of serious players.

Archived