HFC Desert Eagle review

HFC Desert Eagle Review

post-1895-1150228508_thumb.jpg

Wassup. Time for another review, this time the unfortunate victim is the HFC Desert Eagle GBB, a ½ price copy of the TM DE Hardkick.

First Impressions

The gun comes in a nice looking metal gun case, and includes the gun (luckily), manual, and a free starter pack of BBs, wow what an unusual bonus. =p

Picking the gun up, it's exactly like picking up the TM. Same weight, same materials, same finish, it's the same gun.

Only real differences are the Spider Grips (the genuine HFC article), and the HFC trades instead of real-steel markings.

post-1895-1150228541_thumb.jpg

post-1895-1150228561_thumb.jpg

Performance (Gas: propane. Ambient temp: 27 degrees C)

FPS (0.2g mystery BBs):

1: 328.9

2: 326.3

3: 328.1

4: 327.4

5: 331.8

6: 327.2

7: 327.7

8: 326.7

9: 317.7

10: 320.3

Speaks for itself, really. Very impressive consistency overall.

Gas capacity: It takes a while to fill the magazine, at least 6-8 seconds. The gun fires two whole mags' worth of BBs (2x26) before the gas runs out.

When firing, the HFC DE often sprays quite some liquid gas back in your face from the cycling slide, and you can hear some fizzing and popping of liquid gas. I'm not sure why, maybe the hammer spring is too strong, or the piston O-ring doesn't provide enough seal in the cylinder - or it just needs some lube. Doesn't seem to affect performance, but some gas is wasted that way.

Accuracy:

post-1895-1150228579_thumb.jpg

Hmm. I used .20g ammo because .25g dropped too low off the point of aim at 5m range. Setting hop to full didn't help much. But with .20g, things aren't too bad. Maybe the hop just needs breaking in. In any case, the gun shoots well enough.

Conclusion:

Not exactly race gun accuracy out of the box, but otherwise the gun is great, and pretty much exactly like the TM. Unless you really need real steel markings, at ½ the price of the TM you can't really go wrong with the HFC Desert Eagle.

Sledge, with the HFC, that all-too-familiar Desert Eagle itch is now quite inexpensive to scratch. I can definitely recommend it. :P

The kick and every other aspect of shooting is the same as the TM. Loud report, fast and hard recoil, high powered boollets shredding the target.

Davedawg, you mean the recoil? Compared to the other GBBs on green gas, it is hard. Personally I prefer the Hi-Capa style lightning fast but lighter recoil, but there ya go.

Yeah, I meant the recoil/kick. :P

Well it looks like the HFC is definitely an affordable option to those craving a hand cannon without the heavy price tag.

Would you say the HFC DE is akin to the TM DE as the WE Hi-Capa is to the TM Hi-Capa? Better, worse, or the same?

I'd really like a chrome DE, and the chrome HFC looks like the TM version, minus the chrome safety lever.

Edited by davedawg123

The HFC DE is to the TM DE what the TM Capa is to the TM Capa. Meaning, apart from superficial markings, it's the same gun, with same materials. No better, no worse.

Actually the HFC DE has some advantages: taiwanese silent, non-leaking fill valve in the magazine, and a much firmer hop-up dial. My TM's dial had a nasty habit of turning itself down when shooting.

There's a chrome HFC? Ya sure you're not getting the brands mixed up?

Since it is supposed to be a clone of the TM DE, do you think it would be possible to put a Zeke metal slide and frame on it? I want my full metal handcannon but am on a budget right now :(

Yes, of course. Just let me warn you of the questionable fit, finish and quality of the Zeke set. It is usable, but requires considerable work.

I'll prefer the stock plastic body any day. Until Shooters Design makes a DE kit. :)

I recieved my two DE's a couple of days ago, they've got really nice kick, but after all I'd heard about the design, it's about the same as my SVI, though I've been told they've got a helluva kick aswell.

The only issue I have is that they seem to be made to lower tolerences.. i.e. the slide can be moves from side to side a little.

Also, It doesn't feel as solid as the TM, when I held the TM it felt slightly heavier, as well as less plasticky to the touch.

They do look frickin awesome though, saying that I probably couldn't hit a barn door if I pulled both of them out in the field.. just scare some people.

hbc.

I bought one a few weeks ago and the hop-up was jammed all the way off, once I figured out how to open it all up and get to the hop-up I clicked the lever that the dial moves into place and now I have hop-up. Also if you over oil the gun then it sometimes loads two bb's/shoots a bb out the top/jams a bb in the slide causing it to spill all its gas. The over oiling problem I would imagine is on other guns also but this is my first GBB so I don't know.

Overall this is an amazing gun for $70.

Yes, I don't find the TM/HFC DE recoil to be much harder than other hard-kicking guns - but it's also pretty hard to accurately gauge recoil force, as it very much depends on how you hold the gun, which gas is used, ambient temperature, and such. In any case, the gun kicks hard. :)

The HFC is probably made of cheaper materials than the TM, but I found the finish to be much closer to the TM than I expected.

Yes, the taiwan guns have much lower quality control than especially the TM guns, so you may end up with a badly assembled specimen - though it seems to be pretty unusual with HFC guns, compared to KJW for example.