HFC M712 review

HFC M712 'Box Cannon' Review

post-1895-1150288327_thumb.jpg

Another day, another review. Let's go!

First Impressions

Pulling the gun out of the box, I was underwhelmed by the flat grey finish. My wife was standing next to me - her first comment was something like, "what kinda plastic junk is that?", which isn't a very good sign. Rarely has a full metal gun been mistaken for being full plastic.

Anyway, my response was to hand her the 1200g gun. And she was like, "omg nvm thx!"

post-1895-1150288305_thumb.jpg

The grips don't look as bad as I expected. They can almost be mistaken for wood at a distance.

The gun is big and heavy. It feels like a man's gun.

The sights are really bad, a tiny notch in the rear sight that you must line up the front post in. Cannot be done quickly. They're like the sights on my old air rifle. The rear sights can be elevation adjusted up to 1000 metres, which seems ridiculous to me even for the real gun, but what do I know.

The magazine release button is located on the right side of the gun in front of the trigger, and is activated with the trigger finger like an AR-15 mag release.

The trigger pull isn't that hard, but pretty long and uneven. You can cock the hammer for a shorter and lighter trigger pull. The safety switch is just to the left of the hammer, and reminds me of a rifle safety. The gun is very rifle-like, really.

post-1895-1150288349_thumb.jpg

Performance (Gas: Propane. Ambient Temp: 27 degres C)

FPS (.20g KSC (maybe) BBs):

1: 356.4

2: 367.9

3: three fittynine

4: 361.1

5: 364.4

6: 364

7: 366.6

8: 365.2

9: 368.1

10: 366.7

11: 57 million (j/k)

Not bad I guess. The gun has a tendency to start with a few relatively weak shots, then after that the power consistency improves. And as you can see, the HFC M712 is a hard hitter.

Gas Capacity: Well it's a NBB, so the magazine holds enough gas for a turdload of shots, let's just leave it at that.

Accuracy:

post-1895-1150288384_thumb.jpg

Hoo boy... who said NBBs were accurate? Or maybe I just suddenly turned into a lousy(er) shot. Seems like the HFC M712 fares best with .43g Straights. Maybe I need to fine-tune the hop-up.

Takedown: Huh? Oh ya. Well there's a single screw on the right side of the gun behind trigger, I suppose unscrewing it causes the gun to fall apart. Dunno yet. =|

Conclusion: I'm very glad I didn't buy the collector's edition at x2 price. While the HFC M712 is not exactly a ###### gun, it does strongly remind me why I like GBBs better than NBBs. Also, it doesn't make a very good anti-seagull device, unless you're good at throwing. Buy something else.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you right handed?

I'm guessing the inaccuracy is, at least in part, due to the long trigger pull and you pulling the gun to the left as you pull the trigger.

I'm getting one of these, too (I guess I had to sometime :D) and it'll be interesting to see if my shots pull right (being a leftie :) ).

Cheers.

I'm right handed, but all shots were fired in single-action (hammer manually cocked before each shot).

Aiming veeery carefully, and slowly squeezing the single-action trigger, the shots still seem to scatter like a shotgun.

I think I'll need to take the gun apart and see if anything is wrong with the hop-up.

• 2 weeks later...

I tested mine yesterday at 5m and, without fiddling with the hop-up, .25g BBs were all (except one, which went dead centre) going high of the aimpoint, but in line horizontally with the aiming point.

Could Utty's inner barrel or hopup rubber be twisted?

Cheers.